How heavy is your hardware? I've had enough!

richkenyon

Silver Member
As a "working drummer" & a drummer that started getting some back pain from lifting so much heavy gear, I've decided enough is enough!!

I've been carrying big heavy Yamaha double-braced boom stands that weigh between 12 to 15lbs for years now. I need pretty sturdy equipment because, for example, I will mount a 14" low tom, Crash Cymbal & X-Hat from the one stand & for the most part I play fairly high-energy sets. Having just taken on another load of heavy equipment, integrating some electronics into my live setup, I have decided to order some new cymbal stands on the basis they weigh nearly half of my Yamaha's.

The stands I have ordered are Gibraltar 5609 boom stands. I got one for a school I teach drums at & have been really impressed with it - the chrome is very high quality. Anyway, Gibraltar say they weigh 7.6lbs so it should make a real difference.

Any other drummers reached the same conclusion?

I have tamas heavy pro hardware but my kit usually stays in one place. For my next kit I'll probably get much lighter hardware like Ludwig's new atlas classic hardware.

Yes I've reached that conclusion too. I swear I could make a mint by re-thinking and building my own hardware. Like why don't they use aluminum? And what does double bracing really do? It joins at a common point anyway? Are the side forces that great? I recently went to DW single braced stuff. Not much weight savings TBH, a little. Not enough. Make them from aluminum for Pete's sake. Aluminum can be polished to look like chrome. Make them in available in different colors! It's stiffness not weight that counts. The weight to stability ratio should be a primary design consideration. You could incorporate velcro feet. Even wind would have a tough time with a velcro type foot. And of course, the whole reson for the cymbal stands existence, tiny, mini ball type, friction held, universal tilters. Gears? Seriously? Duh. I could design one hell of a cymbal stand. Or, a cymbal stand system. Something like a rack system for drum kits except it lays on the floor and lightweight boom stands click into it, wherever you want of course. You hang stuff from clamps off the boom stands, cymbals, toms, whatever you can get. Eliminates all the legs. I really don't like the look of hardly being able to see the drummer through all the conventional racks you see today. It would look more traditional.

*Wakes up from dream*

Last edited:
I've been using Tama Roadpro hardware since I got my first decent kit - goddamn that stuff is heavy! I carry 2 x boom stands, 1 x straight stand, tom stand and my hi hat stand - thankfully I leave 2 more booms at home that I don't need for the bands I'm in (china and 19" crash).

The thing is - it's really sturdy stuff. If someone shows me something that is as sturdy as the Roadpro hardware then I'll switch to it, otherwise my back will have to suffer!

But does hardware have to be that sturdy? I think that's the question we're trying to answer. Who has ever had a single braced lightweight stand wobble and fall over because they hit a crash cymbal?

In my opinion, most hardware is way over engineered.

I haven't carried double-braced anything in over a decade and after 12+ hours per week playing in all sorts of settings, nothing has yet so much as wobbled.

I use the Yamaha 700 series single braced stuff - which is not super light but is about as heavy as I'm willing to carry. If I don't need a boom stand - it's a straight stand. Hey - an ounce saved is one less I need to carry.

For kicks, I think I'm going to put it on a scale next week and see what the weight truly is.

As a "working drummer" & a drummer that started getting some back pain from lifting so much heavy gear, I've decided enough is enough!! Any other drummers reached the same conclusion?

Get a rack, or start working out.

Light weight stands are an option.

The heavy stuff has a different feel tho and cymbals do sound better on heavier stands if you care to notice.

I'd choose the work out thing, its a win/win.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 783
When I gave my Mapex Saturn set to my church, I also gave all of my double-braced stands. All of the stands I use with my set are single-braced, except the throne. I have never had any problem with them at all. Peace and goodwill.

I had gone thru some hardware in the past but after switching to Dixon double braced hardware about 14 years ago I have not had any problems or needed any repairs. Plus my 4 stands support 4 toms, 8 cymbals, cow bell, tamborine, jam block and my second snare. I just dont see the point of paying more for hardware just cause it has a big name on it. Even the Pearl, Tama and Yamaha hardware I had in the past didnt stand up to the abuse that the Dixon has.

Last edited:
Yes I've reached that conclusion too. I swear I could make a mint by re-thinking and building my own hardware. Like why don't they use aluminum? And what does double bracing really do? It joins at a common point anyway? Are the side forces that great? I recently went to DW single braced stuff. Not much weight savings TBH, a little. Not enough. Make them from aluminum for Pete's sake. Aluminum can be polished to look like chrome. Make them in available in different colors! It's stiffness not weight that counts. The weight to stability ratio should be a primary design consideration.

Larry, would you like to start business together? This is exactly what I've been thinking for years - especially about the aluminum. I'm a structural engineer! One of the reasons typical hardware needs to weigh so much is that it's made of very cheap metal. Another reason is that the sections are flat and need to be thick to provide lateral support. Think about speaker stands. They are much lighter and support heavier loads. In some places my band plays, we use them for the mains. I know I could design a better stand.

I own a licensed copy of AutoCAD.degrees. I have the technical background. If my day job goes south........

May want to look into Canopus and Axis for their stuff. It's supposedly high-tech, lightweight and the price reflects it.

I like the piece of mind using the heavier weight double braced stands, especially when they're also sporting a rack tom, crash cymbal and maybe a splash. I don't believe that I have a single braced stand in the lot, except maybe a snare stand. There is just too much else going on at a gig to let an additional 25 or 30 pounds diminish that piece of mind.

And yes, throughout the years, I've had several lighter weight stands knocked over, and not by my own accord. In some very precarious situations, I'll even use sand bags.

Some might believe this and some won't, but there is definitely a sonic difference between light weight stands and their heavier counterparts. With every opportunity I get, I'll swap out a drummers light weight stands for heavier stands in the studio. Every cymbal and every drum that's attached to a stand can make that stand vibrate or oscillate affecting the overall sound.

Dennis

I switched all my cymbal stands over to the Gibraltar flat based stands. I'm trying to get one of the flat snare stands for my rack tom, but if I don't have a super heavy duty stand under my snare drum, it moves all over the place. I give it a work out. Otherwise though, I'm loving the light weight hardware thing.

Another thing to consider when dealing with hardware weight is quantity and attachments. Sure, you might have swapped out a 15-pound stand for an 8-pound stand, but if you have seven stands, you're still lugging 56 pounds of stuff into the gig. So you downsize all the way to two stands, but the two stands are now festooned with an extra 9 pounds of clamps and boom arms.

I downsized from my two side racks to three main stands, not counting snare and hats stands - two Yamaha 700s and a single-braced Tama stand base for my rack tom holder. Between these three stands and some clever clamping options, I fly four toms and nine cymbals. The two boom stands have some heft to them, but I usually carry them on their own. All in all I may not be breaking 40 pounds for hardware... and I'm always looking for more ways to downsize.

In my opinion, most hardware is way over engineered.

I haven't carried double-braced anything in over a decade and after 12+ hours per week playing in all sorts of settings, nothing has yet so much as wobbled.

I use the Yamaha 700 series single braced stuff - which is not super light but is about as heavy as I'm willing to carry. If I don't need a boom stand - it's a straight stand. Hey - an ounce saved is one less I need to carry.

For kicks, I think I'm going to put it on a scale next week and see what the weight truly is.

I did this for the 1st time ever yesterday & was shocked at the results. I used a nifty pully scale device that I use to weigh my bags for flights! My single-braced Yamaha boom came in at 12lbs, with a regular double-braced even more & the boom double braced stands at 15lbs. I won't tell you what my cymbal bag weighed! Of course, the issue with stands is you have to put them together into a large case - I've tried splitting them across two cases, but it still all weighs too much.

Get a rack, or start working out.

The heavy stuff has a different feel tho and cymbals do sound better on heavier stands if you care to notice.

I'd choose the work out thing, its a win/win.

Not sure why you choose such a sarcastic tone in replying. I do care massively about the sound, which is why I play Sonor DeLite & Yamaha Maple Custom kits.I am not exactly out of shape thanks very much, but I do have a knee condition that makes lots of exercises impossible. Your idea of "working out" isn't necessarily a great suggestion to older drummers. I mean, why is this stuff SO heavy?

BTW - I have a major rack for my recording kit, but honestly I do not believe racks are the best solution for a working drummer. I have too many times (last night's gig for example) where the space I'm asked to set up in simply will not accommodate a rack. Then you have uneven floors, or you use a different configuration for different gigs... stands are far better & usually quicker to set up IMO. I used a Rack on the last tour I did, but that was proper stages & I needed a 7 piece kit + Octobans & a big cymbal selection.

Been using yamaha double braced stands for 25+ years and the stuff weighs a ton!! But it lasts.

This one is interesting. Reminds me of what Neil Peart uses

http://www.polecatps.com/index

Sure, but I'm a working drummer playing different kit configurations in all kinds of different size venues. OK if you're a touring drummer perhaps.

I like the piece of mind using the heavier weight double braced stands, especially when they're also sporting a rack tom, crash cymbal and maybe a splash. I don't believe that I have a single braced stand in the lot, except maybe a snare stand. There is just too much else going on at a gig to let an additional 25 or 30 pounds diminish that piece of mind.

And yes, throughout the years, I've had several lighter weight stands knocked over, and not by my own accord. In some very precarious situations, I'll even use sand bags.

Some might believe this and some won't, but there is definitely a sonic difference between light weight stands and their heavier counterparts. With every opportunity I get, I'll swap out a drummers light weight stands for heavier stands in the studio. Every cymbal and every drum that's attached to a stand can make that stand vibrate or oscillate affecting the overall sound.

Dennis

You bring up an interesting point. I do believe most double-braced stands are more stable & have had plenty of guitar players nearly knock my stands over, so stability is an issue. However, it's mainly a question of positioning the legs correctly relative to the most mass that is most critical. Can't comment too much on the sonic effects but am familiar with the issue regarding some rack systems.

Like why don't they use aluminum?
The problem I see with aluminum being used for stands is that I dont think they would stay looking good for very long as chrome does. Chrome is very durable and cleans up very easily. I think if you transported 3 or 4 aluminum stands in the same trap case they would become marked and scratched up very quickly pus you would be more apt to strip out the threads on the clamps and adjustment pieces.

Larry, would you like to start business together? This is exactly what I've been thinking for years - especially about the aluminum. I'm a structural engineer! One of the reasons typical hardware needs to weigh so much is that it's made of very cheap metal. Another reason is that the sections are flat and need to be thick to provide lateral support. Think about speaker stands. They are much lighter and support heavier loads. In some places my band plays, we use them for the mains. I know I could design a better stand.

I own a licensed copy of AutoCAD.degrees. I have the technical background. If my day job goes south........

I would love to. Being a structural engineer...I mean what more qualifications would you want? I just get off designing stuff that I would like for myself.

This would be my design criteria:

2-3 lbs total weight
Universal ball tilters w/felts that don't fall off when upside down, and big easy levers for tightening and untightening them, plus a wing nut-less system for holding the cymbal on, that is as small and skinny as possible above the bell
Engraved markings instead of mem locks, saves weight
Highly polished lightweight thinwall aluminum tubes, skinny as possible, available in colors
Hook type velcro feet that grabs carpet, tip over protection to compensate for the light weight
Collapses smaller than the standard to 24" total length

Did I miss anything?

Even if it cost twice as much, I'd buy it.

The problem I see with aluminum being used for stands is that I dont think they would stay looking good for very long as chrome does. Chrome is very durable and cleans up very easily. I think if you transported 3 or 4 aluminum stands in the same trap case they would become marked and scratched up very quickly pus you would be more apt to strip out the threads on the clamps and adjustment pieces.

I think all these issues could be solved by good design. Like no threads. A different tightening system that uses a mechanism similar to the kind that closes a tool box. A plastic film could be bonded to the outside to protect the finish. Since most of it collapses together, in transport, only one tube would be exposed, and need treatment.

Back