Is it "wrong" to use 7A sticks for rock?

7 A's are fine if that is what is comfortable for you,I keep some regal tip 7's in my stick bag for a couple of fast tunes,the taper on them is thin,which makes them fast,but more breakable.I find that with big and/deep drums I feel like I have to bash to get the drums to respond and be loud when playing with a band,and they kind of bounce of of med crashes with 7 a's .Durability is an issue to but I suppose you could try oak to cut down on breakage if that is a concern.

That being said, I'm still having a hard time finding a hickory stick that's in the 5A/5B range, 16" in length, with a shorter acorn-style tip, and a fatter shoulder. If you know of one, please let me know. LOL.....I'm being serious though.

Check out customdrumsticks.biz

They can make anything you want, and the quality (and price) is fantastic.

I've used the model stick I had them do (they got it perfect on the first try) for about a year now, and I couldn't be happier--and I haven't even thought about "sticks" which is a miracle.

7 A's are fine if that is what is comfortable for you,I keep some regal tip 7's in my stick bag for a couple of fast tunes,the taper on them is thin,which makes them fast,but more breakable.I find that with big and/deep drums I feel like I have to bash to get the drums to respond and be loud when playing with a band,and they kind of bounce of of med crashes with 7 a's .Durability is an issue to but I suppose you could try oak to cut down on breakage if that is a concern.
I keep 7a Regal-Tip's in my stick bag also but for the opposite reason I like doing slow,softer tunes with them, Like in my previous post I love the rim click they produce and they have that jazzy ride sound & feel also. call me crazy but the fast tunes we do I use Vater 3a's which has turned out too be my Favorite BIG stick LOL.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

Hello, I'm a really hack drummer and I'm just wondering, Is it wrong for me to be using 7A's to play Led Zeppelin style hard rock? I know that Bonzo used, like, 2B's or something, but they just feel WAY too heavy for me. I've also used 5A briefly but had the same heaviness beef, so 7A seemed logical. I've been using them for a while now and I really like their feel. Will I encounter any issues resulting from this as I progress or is using a "Jazz" stick acceptable?

Nope, I use Vic Firth 8ds and the only difference in the length. If you need a heavier sound, use the butt ends. The 7a is a great drumstick!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw

I'm a big fan of 7A butt-ends. I chop off the tips so they don't dig into my hands and that's about as good as is gets right there... except for some 3As, 5As or 5Bs (not butt-ends)! I'm easy.

I keep 7a Regal-Tip's in my stick bag also but for the opposite reason I like doing slow,softer tunes with them

That's interesting. I keep a pair of Regal 7As in my bag too. Not for slower or softer tunes but when we do L.A. Woman (at Billy Idol speed). After swinging 5Bs, I can get through that song with the smaller and lighter sticks without slopping up the fills, etc.

Damn that song is fast.

That's interesting. I keep a pair of Regal 7As in my bag too. Not for slower or softer tunes but when we do L.A. Woman (at Billy Idol speed). After swinging 5Bs, I can get through that song with the smaller and lighter sticks without slopping up the fills, etc.

Damn that song is fast.
LA Woman is a fun tune too jam, I know you do the Billy Idol version but do you still do the calypso break in the middle of the song? That's my fav. part of the tune and with a Regal-Tip 7a the rim click sounds that much sweeter LOL, just curious wood or nylon?

Bonzolead

LA Woman is a fun tune too jam, I know you do the Billy Idol version but do you still do the calypso break in the middle of the song? That's my fav. part of the tune and with a Regal-Tip 7a the rim click sounds that much sweeter LOL, just curious wood or nylon?

Bonzolead

Yes the super fast and almost ridiculous Billy Idol version has the calypso break in the middle. Instead of rim clicks I play the syncopated pattern on the ride bell and off and on beat accents on the high hat with a couple of trips down the toms to my little china for the fills. It sounds a little more rock. When I used to do it with the rim clicks on the snare hoop nobody could hear it over the din or even the vocals for that matter.

Everytime I play that song, I think to myself, "It's too friggin' fast!"

Playing it with 7As helps.

Yes the super fast and almost ridiculous Billy Idol version has the calypso break in the middle. Instead of rim clicks I play the syncopated pattern on the ride bell and off and on beat accents on the high hat with a couple of trips down the toms to my little china for the fills. It sounds a little more rock. When I used to do it with the rim clicks on the snare hoop nobody could hear it over the din or even the vocals for that matter.

Everytime I play that song, I think to myself, "It's too friggin' fast!"

Playing it with 7As helps.
That's a cool way of jammin' that part of the song & on the "too friggin' fast matter" you're the Drummer you can always change that without notice LOL, myself i've always been partial too nylon tip sticks & the Regel-Tip 7a's NT make a sweet ride sound IMO very light & jazzy.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

That's a cool way of jammin' that part of the song & on the "too friggin' fast matter" you're the Drummer you can always change that without notice LOL, myself i've always been partial too nylon tip sticks & the Regel-Tip 7a's NT make a sweet ride sound IMO very light & jazzy.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

That's funny. You're probably right but before we even call that song out the guitar player is like.. .. "You know we're going to do this fast, right?"

I just go with it but it's a workout.

As far as the OP goes, I would say you certainly can rock your kit with 7As, even as light as the Regals, but you have to dig into your ride more and play the shoulders of the sticks more or if everybody is turned up loud, then you'll struggle.

My dirty little stick secret is that I like the Zildjian 5B dips. I peel the black dip coating off and tape them up with baseball bat tape. The tips are large acorns and they have the perfect balance for me with the heavier butt ends because of the tape and they last a long time.

Check out customdrumsticks.biz

They can make anything you want, and the quality (and price) is fantastic.

I've used the model stick I had them do (they got it perfect on the first try) for about a year now, and I couldn't be happier--and I haven't even thought about "sticks" which is a miracle.

Thanks for the recommendation Karl. I checked out their site a few times a while back and considered placing an order but wasn't sure about the quality of their end product. It's great to get a good review from someone who actually uses (and likes) their sticks.

That being said, I'm still having a hard time finding a hickory stick that's in the 5A/5B range, 16" in length, with a shorter acorn-style tip, and a fatter shoulder. If you know of one, please let me know. LOL.....I'm being serious though.
Vater Josh Freese's H-220 comes close, but it has an oval tip. Also Vic Firth 55A, V. F. Nicko McBrain signature and V. F. Lenny White signature stick come close to your description.

The Zildjian Vinnie Colaiuta signature stick comes to mind.

If you're referring too the 420 model they're more of a longer 5a
Portnoy handed me a 420 at a DT gig a few years back. I'd say it is closer to a 7A than a 5A, but, as Bermuda said:
That's another thing - 7A doesn't mean 7A. Regal Tip's 7A is what I consider a true 7A, a smallish stick. But Vic Firth's 7A is about a 5A compared with other companies.

Bermuda
Not all 7A and 5As are equal, so comparing if often semantics.

The Zildjian Vinnie Colaiuta signature stick comes to mind.

Portnoy handed me a 420 at a DT gig a few years back. I'd say it is closer to a 7A than a 5A, but, as Bermuda said:

Not all 7A and 5As are equal, so comparing if often semantics.

I'm referring too Regal-Tip 7a's which are true(the first 7a's I ever played in the 70's) 7a's in my book. 420's are considerably larger I play with them also.

Bonzolead

I don't think anyone will even notice. I had a sound guy tell me to try lighter sticks for smaller gigs the other day because the singer's mic was picking up my snare...jerk...

Personally I prefer lighter sticks. The thinner one just feel more comfortable in my hands. The only drawback is that they tend to get shorter as they get thinner.

A Vic Firth 7A is .540" that's a little thinner than the average 5A. Portnoy's signature sticks 420's are 0.531” which I suppose is like a 7A. I think I might pick up a pair...

I use firth 7AN with vic grip these days. They feel better in my old beat up hands but I also use them in 5AN as well occasionally.
1126458_14297_popup.jpg

I've been using Pro-Mark 5A's as of late - they seem to be a bit smaller / lighter than Vic Firth and Vater 5A's... Not quite in 7A territory - but not too heavy either.

You could try those... I find 7A's tend to die a quick death when used for heavier stuff with lots of rim-shots.

Back