Cymbal stands rotating over/falling over constantly!

Blue

My cymbals keep on rotating over... constantly. I've never had this problem in my life, until I started playing this band a year ago. Now, it's like every other song. The cymbal starts to tilt, and then it just rolls over... because the lug can't hold it in place. On pearl stands, it is the two in one tightening lug which adjusts both the extension and the rotational angle of the cymbal. I have a pacific stand that does that same thing. I really hit hard though, and often... is this normal. No matter how tight I make the lug, it falls over eventually... it happens in the middle of live sets, and it SO embarrassing! Do I just have to get new stands, or am I hitting too hard?

Also, my tom heads are constantly coming loose to. I have a DW for crying out loud. I feel like this shouldn't happen! Maybe I shouldn't ever have 'shoulds' but I feel like this is a little ridicluos. I am giving up on my equipment, and just want to get a new set but don't have the money. I am so frustrated with it. I just want a stable set that isn't detuning, or having cymbals fall over, or having the floor tom constantly falling over onto my leg because the lug stripped, or the bass drum sliding away from the pedal... Ahhhhhhhh!

Then there is my technique problems, but that is a different thread. Thank you.

It sounds like you need to nail your bd down. The DW drums detuning sounds like you may need some rubber or nylon washers under the t-rods....?
It's hard to say for sure about the hihat unless one is there to see it. Maybe the best thing to do if you can is to a drum store and try some different hihats until you get one you're happy one. Also it's good to sit behind some drums in a drum shop and chat to the drum Sales Rep and explain what's happening.

Drums do have to be tightended/tweeked more and maybe 'nailed' down if you're a hard hitter and tend to push them around while playing. I have a nephew that is an extremely hard hitter and his drums are pretty stable (PDP made by DW) other than he breaks cymbals now and then.

I'm just brainstorming here - hope you don't mind. Let us know if you get it all sorted out.

Is it the ride, on the boom that flops over?

If so, it sounds like you need a memory lock on the boom arm rod. Those are usually the 1/2 size.
There should be a notch in the hideaway ratchet where the lip of a memory lock would go.
This will stop the arm from going anywhere.

Good luck!

Is it the ride, on the boom that flops over?

If so, it sounds like you need a memory lock on the boom arm rod. Those are usually the 1/2 size.
There should be a notch in the hideaway ratchet where the lip of a memory lock would go.
This will stop the arm from going anywhere.

Good luck!

Thank you to both of you for the response (I could only quote one of you, obviously).

The problem was on both, what would be the ride and crash cymbal, although I crash both pretty much all the time. They are boom stands, and the cymbal is rotating around the boom stand. I have so much trouble explaining in words. But, alas...

I went to GC yesterday and bought two DW 3000 boom stands. I figured I owed my band that much to just spend some money on my gear, since they've spent a lot more time money on this project that I have. I'm just kind of pissed because I have like 5 or six stands sitting around and haven't really re-tried them all to see if this problem would persist, but whatever... its $140, which I'd rather not spend, but if these DW's really don't 'turn-over' then, it will be one less headache. I don't know what can really be done.

As far as lug locks, do you simply place them on the lugs, or do you put them under the lugs (threading them through the plastic lug locks)? They don't seem to be doing anything at all, as it is right now.

I need to order the specific parts for the hi-hat stand. The stand itself is amazing. I love it, and its performnce isn't effectd. I'm just worried that with gigging and wear, the lack of support will lead to a failure somewhere on the stand and lessen it's awesome feel and smoothness.

As far as the floor tom, i ordered some memory locks. I'd rather get a new kit at this point, but I've got to save up. I bought the DW I have now on a total whim, on credit, because I was manic (I'm bi-polar) at the time, and thought, literally one day, "hey, i think I'm going to be a 2,000 dollar kit on credit!" When you're manic, everything sounds like a good idea.

Back