slingerland 8x14 snare question

x1503

I recently got an offer for a slingerland 8x14 snare drum
From looking at the pictures it looks like it can be either steel but im hoping its brass. It looks like the old slingerlands with the same type hardware but ive never seen one this size. Can anyone tell me about this snare like what year it is and more info about what it costs. He wants 200 for it and I dont want to get overpay. Thanks

Last edited:
Its post 1980's so not 'vintage'. The Badge type tells you that, it does not read 'Niles' or 'Chicago' on it.
http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drcjw/article_1_badges.html

To check if its steel bring a magnet, or ask seller. If chrome on brass, magnet will not stick, if steel it will.
If its steel, 8 lugs, and seems to be post1980s' I personally would not pay more than $100 for it BUT its up to your ears. Value is in the ears of beholder. How does it sound to you?

I havent tried it yet since I dont have it but its a 10 lug snare. The guy selling it lives like 45 minutes away but im wondering if its worth the price and the drive since he doesnt want to lower the price

You can ask him to do the magnet test. 10 lugs is good. And there are certainly some really nice chrome on steel snares.

Personally I would drive 45 mins for a snare I was really interested in. It's worth it...could be a real 'steel' of a deal (haha)

Back