Danny Carey

I was expecting a lot about Tool's new release, but surprisingly even after many daily listening it didn't catch me at all like any of their previous. I felt like they've lost a little bit of their uniqueness and their musical identity. It's very much more heavy music oriented than their previous albums. They give up some powerful riff, but on CD these rocking song didn't do it for me. But live, they sounded awesome and it really moved me (and they were pretty refreshing after standing and waiting during hours, enduring Korn or Dir En Grey). Anyway seeing Tool live is a real experience, hearing and seing Danny Carey playing his heavenly sounding drums and polyrythms makes you realise that the guy is the real generator of the band. They've ended the show by my favourite drug, Aenima.........there's something so dark about this song I just can't get enough of it. And Maynard says some pretty funny things and is a great showman. These guys are real musicians and I don't believe they are these kind of satanistic artist that they want to make us believe they are. But there must have been some DMT, a bit of new-age and scientific interest around them, anyway who cares their music is great.

Even though he states his double bass playing is a week point of his playing he still is very creative and good at it. I'm not a huge fan of doulbe bass but he is one of the few I really enjoy listening to.

I enjoy Dannys playing and I think hes a good drummer, but I absolutely hate tool with a passion. Not once have they impressed me a single bit, it's just...boring.

brittc89 said:
You didnt like counting bodies like sheep? Im pretty sure it was just a remix of Pet from the 13th step. I thought it was a pretty interesting take on it.

It was just a remix, it was done by Danny Lohner. I just didn't like it... the whole kind of industrial vibe... it just didn't seem to work for me. I like the dark sounding side of APC (like Magdalena, Rose, even The Noose) but "Counting Bodies..." was a bit... mediocre I thought, in comparison with "Pet"

Did someone noticed how huge he is? I knew he is big, but after a tool show I saw he lookes even bigger.... I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley...

That dosn't mean he's definatly on drugs, just a bit out there, people often think i'm on drugs from my artworka nd such yet i'm clean.

Josh is a cult said:
Danny Carey is defiantely into some drugs.
and it shows in the music/artwork.
I am a huge tool fan.
and i think that its obvious some of the things he dose...

I read somewhere that he is a fairly frequent user of DMT (stronger than LCD)....
I don't care aslong as he keeps up his creative and inspirtational drumming, i dont care what he does....

nd,

finnhiggins said:
All of the Tool-related websites are like that. The Toolband.com one just has some guy called Blair ranting about ritual magic and his latest curry recipe for weeks at a time. But that said, about half of what they come out with does appear to be total bulls*** - go back to the Aenima interview circuit and read all the Adam Jones ones where he claims to have used some bizarre lady shaving device instead of an e-bow. Then go listen to the song, note that it sounds just like an e-bow. Then go look at the example song list provided when you buy an e-bow and notice that... hell... that song is on there!

Then also go read the thousands of man-hours of fans trying to find that very lady shaving device, with no success.

Then imagine Adam Jones laughing his head off...

Works for me.

when he recorded the song he used the shaving device, but has since switched to the e-bow for practical purporses, remember aenima was 1996, im not even sure ebows were around then (but i could be wrong bout that).

i've used the search function and read through this thread so apologies if i've overlooked anywhere the info i'm looking for might be.

Is there anywhere I can find more info on the paiste kit Danny Carey uses. How it was built, more specs, just more info. I'm really intrigued by it but can;t seem to find any reasonable amount of info on it.

thanks in advance

You could try mailing Jeff Ocheltree - go to www.drumtree.com - there's a little bit off info about the "Spirit of 2002" snares on there which Danny is still using. Not sure about the rest of the kit mind, but I think it was a Jeff Ocheltree creation.

I agree with pretty much everything all of you have said. He a genuis behind the kit. The thing I like most about him is that he does not use a "traditional" drum beat on any of his songs. Everything that he does is some off beat or reverse lead.
He is also a genuis out of the kit. He helped develope the electronic pads that are incorperated in his kit.

One of the things I like most about D.C. is the way he tends to play more around his toms and be a bit more conservative with his cymbals. I read in an interview that he thinks that cymbals tend to eat up the high end so he prefers to play more around the toms. It's something I've been thinking about and trying to incorporate into my playing but it's pretty difficult with the type of metal my band plays.

Love the playin.... hate the mystical numerical mumbo jumbo poop ! Whatever !

To 'nielpscuz', what numerology?...

Anyways, if you like Danny Carey and have researched him a little, you've probably seen these video's, but if you haven't, here are some short clips of him playing live, with Tool (sometime on the 2001-2002 tour). http://dannycarey.org/cyberclinic.html ... If you listen to the the most recent half of Tool's albums, you know these clips are displaying a good mediocrity of his common playing...

I am not too familiar with him.

I just checked out his website. He seems kind of out there. Pretty weird. I guess because he can play the drums well he is taken more seriously than he would otherwise.

I don't get it.

In the bio of Danny Carey on this site, it says "Despite not becoming a Mason.." in the first paragraph. Strangely Enough, in the picture above that Danny Carey is playing his two little hand drums on top of what is The All Seeing Eye, which is an important Masonic symbol.

I'll shut up now, I'm not making sense to anyone.

Back