Iron Cobra vs. DW 5000 vs. Eliminator

drums32

hey guys im planning on buying a new single pedal black friday and was needing some opinions on which is the best in ur opinion. On musiciansfriend.com i can get a pearl eliminator for 129$ or an iron cobra power glide for 150$ or a dw 5000 for 152$. I want a chain drive pedal and i currently use a pearl powershifter single chain pedal which was like 50 bucks. Its too light and not smooth, and not fast enough so i need a new one. I tried them all at guitarcenter before but couldnt really decide....let me know what u guys think and ur opinions...thanks and happy thanksgiving :)

My only experience is with the Pearl Eliminator pedal. It is really smooth, has different cams to adjust to whatever action you are looking for and has a four way beater. I have had my pedal for 5 plus years and the only thing that bugs me about it is the paint is wearing off the foot board.

Drums4.jpg

Good luck with your pedal choice.

+1 for the eliminator (also the only one I can speak to). but with the cams, and all the adjustability it can probably be make to work like any of the others you listed, and its cheaper.

thanks guys is the eliminator going to feel similar to my pearl powershifter single chain pedal? because it has a very similar design, the only difference i see between my powershifter and eliminator is the cams and the double chain.....

thanks guys is the eliminator going to feel similar to my pearl powershifter single chain pedal? because it has a very similar design, the only difference i see between my powershifter and eliminator is the cams and the double chain.....

Where do you live? Can you get into a store that stocks all of them?

You've really gotta try these things for yourself, mate. The "feel" of a pedal often differs from one user to another (what I consider "light", you may think is "heavy"). They are definitely one item where it pays to get your feet on them and try before you buy. You can still order through Musicians Friend if you choose to, but I highly recommend that you try them out for yourself first.

But to answer your initial question....the Elims can be tailored to suit your own personal tastes in far more ways than the Powershifter. In short, you can no doubt get them to feel exactly like the PS.....and at the same time, you can get them to feel completely different. And therein lies the beauty of the Eliminator.

But, I'll reiterate.......try before you buy. What I like may not be the same as what you like....and the same goes for all of us. So rely on a hell of a lot more than just posts on a drum forum in order to decide this one.

Cheers.

I've played all 3. I own a Yamaha Flying Dragon and a dw5000 single. I play the 5000 on my main gigging kit, and a dw9000 double pedal when needed. You can't really go wrong with any, but give the Yamaha a try out if you can.

I read all the reviews and went with the Eliminator and bought two. They are very good and the cam idea is great ( I use the red one ) I thought the beater was too heavy so I changed to a lighter one and its much better. Great pedals for the money.

hey guys im planning on buying a new single pedal black friday and was needing some opinions on which is the best in ur opinion. On musiciansfriend.com i can get a pearl eliminator for 129$ or an iron cobra power glide for 150$ or a dw 5000 for 152$. I want a chain drive pedal and i currently use a pearl powershifter single chain pedal which was like 50 bucks. Its too light and not smooth, and not fast enough so i need a new one. I tried them all at guitarcenter before but couldnt really decide....let me know what u guys think and ur opinions...thanks and happy thanksgiving :)

Most people are saying go for elims and they are extremely good. However the Iron Cobra should definitely not be ignored. To many, the Iron Cobra is the pedal of choice and it has a much heavier feel and the cobra coil is ingenius too.

However I would like to throw in the Mapex Falcon. It is brilliant, a LOT simpler and just as good as both, it is a beautiful piece of engineering. You should try them if you can.

Hi - well if you have tried them and you aren't sure, maybe go back again with a drum key and really see what they can do. Spend some time there and really annoy the staff!!! For what it's worth, I've been through quite a few pedals (Eliminator, DW 5000 and 9000, Trick, Axis, Falcon) and ended up with the Iron Cobra Power Glide. I like a heavy pedal and couldn't get on with most of the pedals I tried which all seemed too light. I had always come back to the DW5000, but one time had to play an IC at a gig and loved it - a touch lighter than the DW (maybe that's down to the beater) but still had a good satisfying weight to it (which isn't the same feeling as tightening the spring on a light pedal). I took off the cobra coil because it adds level of complexity that is really pointless - sure the coil theoretically brings the pedal back to your foot faster, but then it also requires more force to press the pedal against the coil. So, to offset this increased heaviness pushing against the coil, you will slacken off the main spring to get a good feel when you press the pedal, which then counteracts the effect off the coil returning the pedal to you.... ridiculous!

If I had two bass drums I'd have I DW 5000 for slow stuff and Mapex Falcon for fast stuff, but while the IC is over towards the DW weight, it seemed a comfortable middle ground for the speed I play. If speed is the key, definitely take the Falcon over the Eliminator... it's really smooth and fast, but with the longer footboard you can come way back on the pedal to give more weight and power if need be.

Good luck.

Last edited:
thanks guys i will be going to gc tomorrow to try them out again hopefully i can decide.... thanks alot :)

Well if i cant decide based on feel i guess ill ask the drum guy there and take his word or maybe ill get the one thats the best deal

ok so i just got back from gc and i was deciding between the ironcobra for $170, dw 5000 accelerator for $150, or the eliminator for $160. I had Gc do a price match on the eliminator so i ended up getting the pearl eliminator for $130. Its a christmas gift so i cant play on it yet but i will still be doing research about the 3 pedals but I think i got a good deal. I tried all 3 of them they all felt good but couldnt really tell which one i liked better, they just had a different feel to each one. Hopefully i made the right choice.... i just found out at my local drumshop they have a limited edition chrome finish iron cobra for $150, i might have to check that out

Last edited:
how do the dw 5000's compare to the eliminators/cobras? i heard alot of good things about them

how do the dw 5000's compare to the eliminators/cobras? i heard alot of good things about them

Quality pedals that easily compare with the other two. Check some of the pedal threads....you'll find these three get mentioned more than any others when it comes to chain or strap driven pedals.

Again, it all comes back to feel. It's an individual thing.......what did you think when you lined 'em up next to the IC's and Elims?

Personally, I don't care for IC's, I find them way too heavy. The DW's are bordering on the heavy side for mine, yet I could adapt to them....and the Elims would be my choice if I were opting for that type of pedal. But I'm not you....don't go on what I, or anyone else thinks....let your feet tell you what they prefer.

Quality pedals that easily compare with the other two. Check some of the pedal threads....you'll find these three get mentioned more than any others when it comes to chain or strap driven pedals.

Again, it all comes back to feel. It's an individual thing.......what did you think when you lined 'em up next to the IC's and Elims?

Personally, I don't care for IC's, I find them way too heavy. The DW's are bordering on the heavy side for mine, yet I could adapt to them....and the Elims would be my choice if I were opting for that type of pedal. But I'm not you....don't go on what I, or anyone else thinks....let your feet tell you what they prefer.

i thought the eliminators felt light, ic felt heavier and real smooth, and the dws felt a little heavy but still very smooth. its hard to tell though, i wish icould take all 3 of them home and try them.....

I've used DW pedals for 12 or 13 years now. I won't touch anything else. I'm pretty sure I can do anything with DW pedals. I can probably make soup with them (never tried).

Back