Roland TD-11 module questions

apossardt

Hey everyone,

I have decided to get an electric kit for a few reasons, none of which are really important or relevant to my questions here. Anyway, I had some questions about the Roland TD-11 sound module that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere online. First, does anybody know of a good review anywhere? I'm having trouble on Google finding anything that isn't the manufacturer description on websites that are selling it. Doesn't matter if its just the module or if its the kit too, I'm just looking for anything that might be able to help me out.
Next, for anybody who had the kit/module, do you know if it's possible to load samples onto the module from USB? As in, I was thinking of tuning a sample kit from superior drummer and exporting the sound files onto a USB drive, then plugging it into the TD-11. Is that even possible/plausible? I know it has connections for USB so even if I can't do this, I'm fairly certain (from what i've read) that I can connect the module to my computer and use it with a DAW to get exactly the sounds I want.
My last question is sort of an extension of what I was just previously talking about. I read somewhere that when you use the quick record function on the module that it records everything you play in midi format and stores it on the USB drive. If this is true, is it then possible to record something on the kit, then plug the USB drive into your computer and import the newly-created MIDI file into a DAW with all of the sounds I want? I apologize that this is a lot of speculation, I just haven't found much anywhere that gives me the answers im looking for.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

.....Next, for anybody who had the kit/module, do you know if it's possible to load samples onto the module from USB? As in, I was thinking of tuning a sample kit from superior drummer and exporting the sound files onto a USB drive, then plugging it into the TD-11. Is that even possible/plausible?

Regarding this part of your question, the short answer is no, you won't be able to load superior drummer samples onto the module (via usb) and then play them through your kit...it would be nice if you could, but your module doesn't have the (memory) space available for these samples...however, you can midi out and use superior drummer samples using an external resource, such as a laptop...

Also, another avenue you can use for custom tweaked sounds for your module is VEX...they're not as good as Superior Drummer, BFD, Oceanway, etc..(i.e., true VST libraries)...as they rely solely on tweaking the internal settings on module, but they are pretty good....

As far as reviews are concerned, have you looked at the various drummer magazines (online) for reviews...your kit's been out long enough now, where I'm sure at least one of the major drum mags. has reviewed it by now...

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
I recently bought the TD-11ks, and I'm very pleased with it.I added a second floor tom (there's an expansion option for one dual trigger on the module); I got a used PD-8 for $70; it can function as tom or cymbal. Even with fairly reasonably priced headphones (I have the ATH-M50), you get great base, and I have assigned the extra tom, naturally, to some nice base sounds from the library in the module. I don't know anything about adding drums kits from a computer, or at least accessing them as you can't add them to the module. But, I find the kit works very well with iTunes, especially since all my music library is in WAV files, not the 'lite' default iTunes mode, which severely reduces sound quality. I've also listened to songs on a USB, but of course WAV file songs are massive (CD quality and CD size) so you can't get many on a USB drive unless you get 128 gb. My iTunes library is already almost 100 gb, and I only started building it a couple of months ago. Check all the online dealers as they often have great reviews for drum kits (and they are often written by actual purchasers),

Regarding this part of your question, the short answer is no, you won't be able to load superior drummer samples onto the module (via usb) and then play them through your kit...it would be nice if you could, but your module doesn't have the (memory) space available for these samples...however, you can midi out and use superior drummer samples using an external resource, such as a laptop...

Also, another avenue you can use for custom tweaked sounds for your module is VEX...they're not as good as Superior Drummer, BFD, Oceanway, etc..(i.e., true VST libraries)...as they rely solely on tweaking the internal settings on module, but they are pretty good....

As far as reviews are concerned, have you looked at the various drummer magazines (online) for reviews...your kit's been out long enough now, where I'm sure at least one of the major drum mags. has reviewed it by now...

Hope this helps...

Ah, that's unfortunate but I figured it probably wasn't possible.

When you say midi out, are you referencing using a cable to connect to something else (say a laptop) and then recording in a DAW/with superior so that I could get the sounds I want? If so, that's exactly what I was looking to find out. The reason i'm asking is because I want to use my kit to record drum covers but also to do pre-production recordings for the band im in, and I'd like to get the best sound I possibly can.

I haven't checked any drumming magazines but I should. Google doesn't yield much besides reviews on online music stores (Zzounds, musician's friend, etc) but there's only a few reviews and I don't really feel comfortable spending $500+ based on 3 random reviews.

Thanks for the response.

I recently bought the TD-11ks, and I'm very pleased with it.I added a second floor tom (there's an expansion option for one dual trigger on the module); I got a used PD-8 for $70; it can function as tom or cymbal. Even with fairly reasonably priced headphones (I have the ATH-M50), you get great base, and I have assigned the extra tom, naturally, to some nice base sounds from the library in the module. I don't know anything about adding drums kits from a computer, or at least accessing them as you can't add them to the module. But, I find the kit works very well with iTunes, especially since all my music library is in WAV files, not the 'lite' default iTunes mode, which severely reduces sound quality. I've also listened to songs on a USB, but of course WAV file songs are massive (CD quality and CD size) so you can't get many on a USB drive unless you get 128 gb. My iTunes library is already almost 100 gb, and I only started building it a couple of months ago. Check all the online dealers as they often have great reviews for drum kits (and they are often written by actual purchasers),

Between your and scorch's responses, sounds like it's not possible to load anything onto the module itself, which isn't a big deal, I was just more curious than anything. So you connected the module through iTunes on your laptop/desktop? I'm assuming to play along with songs in your library? I didn't know that was possible, but that actually makes me really psyched since I love playing to music. I, too, have the same problem with my iTunes library being too large to put on a flash drive, so it's nice to know a USB drive isn't my only option.

Since you actually have the module, how do the stock kits sound? I know you can mix and match sounds from different kits, but does the module have some sort of internal mixer so that you can tweak a particular sound? For example, if I wanted less sustain on my snare, is it possible to change that?

Unfortunately, I have already checked a good amount of online retailers and couldn't find very many reviews at all, let alone good ones. I wouldn't mind if there was a lot of them to read, but I can't get much information from 3 reviews, ya know? Plus, I trust anything that someone would tell me here more than a review from a random website.

Hi Guys

Im a fairly new drummer (1-year) and im struggeling with annoying technical stuff. I bought the Roland TD-11.

- When using the Mix In, what comes through to my headphones is noisy and disturbed music. It seem like a faulty connection somewhere, but it worked the first month or so. I bought new cables but nothing. Anyone experienced something similar? I have reset to factory setting as well.

- Anyone can recommend a good place to get some new kits in? Im sort of lost, and I just deeply desire a great sound so i can keep on practicing. The pre-sets seem completely off with the toms really loud, the kick none-existing and the snare tricky to hit right.

Thanks a bunch fellows

-Jones

You can get a pack of 30 decent kits from VEX for the TD-11. Total cost is only $30, and set up is quick and easy. It will replace the first 30 stock kits already in the module, but they are still available, i.e. not deleted. I simply downloaded the 30 VEX kits and then used the remaining 20 available spots for the best 20 original stock kits. But, I never really use those 20 kits as the VEX are much, much better. A nice simple solution that does not require hours of tweaking (which is not why I bought the drums in any case).

Hi Guys

Im a fairly new drummer (1-year) and im struggeling with annoying technical stuff. I bought the Roland TD-11.

- When using the Mix In, what comes through to my headphones is noisy and disturbed music. It seem like a faulty connection somewhere, but it worked the first month or so. I bought new cables but nothing. Anyone experienced something similar? I have reset to factory setting as well.

- Anyone can recommend a good place to get some new kits in? Im sort of lost, and I just deeply desire a great sound so i can keep on practicing. The pre-sets seem completely off with the toms really loud, the kick none-existing and the snare tricky to hit right.

Thanks a bunch fellows

-Jones

Well you can read my thread about my studio set up with a Roland TD-4K2 below--I don't even use the internal sounds because the drums sound so sick when using midi to trigger addictive drums. So there is something to be said for getting AD, or Superior Drummer, etc, and expanding with midi. Also gives you layering options with the audio output of your Roland Module.

Back