DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Gold Member

Default Five Things Every Drummer Needs to Do

I was inspired by a recent post here on Drummerworld to write this little article for my blog. I figured I'd post it here first to get some feedback. Let me know if you agree or disagree with my list, the order, or have found mistakes! Here it is:

1. Practice what you aren't good at yet.

This is something that I wish I had learned many years earlier. Many times during "practice," I catch myself playing licks and grooves that are comfortable and already sound good; its only natural! The problem is that when you do this, you aren't growing. To actually make marked improvements you have to single out and focus on the things that you can't yet play. This is not easy, but if you do so your abilities will grow in leaps and bounds!

2. Play with a metronome.

Just... do it. It is a required skill. If you're tracking an album, it will be with a click. You have to be able to do so. At first, you will think that the metronome is broken. I'll let you in on a secret. Its not. Eventually, the click will become your best friend, and it will feel like another bandmate. Only this bandmate is always on time.

3. Wear hearing protection.

This is something I would really like to emphasize. I went for many years without using any hearing protection, and now, at the age of 20, I already have tinnitus. Don't do that to yourself. There's this idea that playing loud drums in front of a wall of amps without hearing protection is somehow awesome and cool. Quite frankly, thats just stupid. Being deaf or hearing a permanent ringing or buzzing sound is the opposite of cool.

4. Get a good teacher.

Now, hear me out on this one. I, Luke Snyder, have personally never had a teacher. I simply watched great drummers, listened to great drumming, bought drum DVDs and books, and watched my performance on video and in front of a mirror. The most important thing for growth is to practice regularly and work on your weak areas. However, a good teacher will make everything easier.

If you get a good teacher, they will give you both short term and long term goals. They can immediately show you new grooves and licks that you can work on, while also giving you concepts and ideas that you can take as far as you want. Even better, they will watch what you're doing and point out mistakes. When you are doing things wrong yourself, its much harder to see them. Essentially, a teacher can speed up the learning process drastically. Honestly, I wish I had been working with a teacher during my early learning process, I would be far more advanced than I am now.

5. Just have fun!

Just kidding, doesn't it annoy you when people give you a list of things, and the last item always says to have fun? Its kind of... patronizing. And its like a lazy throwaway type deal; "Well, I can't think of a fifth point, so I'll just tell them to have fun!" Or maybe I'm the only one that feels this way. Anyways, on to the real number five!

5. Learn how to read music.

I feel like being able to read and write sheet music is actually looked down upon by some people. Its sort of like if you can read music from a sheet, people think you can't put any expression or emotion into your play. Thats just silly! Reading and writing music is an invaluable tool; it opens up vast new worlds in your mind. Once you can read and write, you can share rhythmic ideas with other people in a clear and concise way, and you can also read and understand other people's ideas. Plus, its actually very easy to do! In fact, I'll go over how to read rhythm notation in future articles. Once you get the hang of it, you realize that its actually quite simple and fun!

So how about you? What else do you think should be on this list?

Last edited by LukeSnyder; 02-19-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Five Things Every Drummer Needs to Do

I personally like it. I think you'll have widespread agreement on numbers 1 through 4. The flame war for number 5 may last longer than our combined lifetimes, though...
Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 PM

I think maintaining your gear on a regular basis deserves to be on that list, learning to tune as well, though they can be grouped together. Well maintained equipment sounds better and looks better for longer.

I leaarned to read music andit has definitely helped my drumming, though i dont know that it makes my personal Top 5
Old 02-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the input guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I personally like it. I think you'll have widespread agreement on numbers 1 through 4. The flame war for number 5 may last longer than our combined lifetimes, though...
Yeah, I tend to think that 1 - 4 are close to what most people would think. I've never really understood why some people don't advocate reading music though, if anyone is a strong "play by ear" follower, please try to help me out with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento View Post
I think maintaining your gear on a regular basis deserves to be on that list, learning to tune as well, though they can be grouped together. Well maintained equipment sounds better and looks better for longer.

I leaarned to read music andit has definitely helped my drumming, though i dont know that it makes my personal Top 5
Tuning and maintenance are definitely super important! I'm certain that would make a top 10 list, but I don't think I could fairly switch it out with anything in those 5.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

I might re-phrase #1 to "practice something you are not good at yet".

Why? Ok, this is getting nick picky, and going off into what some might feel is a bit esoteric philosophy, but then again, many of us are here to discuss the philosophy of drums, so I'll say it anyway.

If you read such business management books like "First, Break all the Rules", "Now Discover Your Strengths" and "Good to Great" among others, a key concept these books discuss is that too many managers/companies waste too much time trying to educate themselves or their employees on things they are bad at, that in the end, no matter how much time and effort they put into it, they won't succeed. While good managers/companies find what they are good at, and then work to become great at it.

A over-simplified example is you have two employees, person A is great at sales but a poor computer programmer. Person B is a great at computer programming, but poor at sales.
Spending a lot of time training the sales guy to be a better programmer is probably only going to net you a mediocre programmer and a frustrated salesman. But if you spend the same money, time and effort on additional sales training, person A could become a GREAT salesmen for you, and you still have person B to handle your computer programming.

In corporations, Zildjian makes cymbals. They don't make drums. DW makes drums, but doesn't make cymbals. Could Zildjian make drums? Sure, but what would be the point?

OK, so, how the hell does this apply to drumming?

It depends on your objective and goals of course.

Let's take the Samba.
Drummer A is bad at the samba.
Drummer B is bad at the samba.

Both sign up for lessons from the same drum teacher.

Drummer A wants to be a very versatile drummer. Spending a lot of time working on the Samba is good idea then.

Drummer B wants to be a rock drummer in his garage band, and nothing more. Spending a lot of time working on the samba is most likely going to lead to a lot of frustration, burn out, and he might just end up quitting taking lessons.

So practicing something your bad at isn't always a great idea. There has to be context.
Bad can be such a strong word, and often implies negativity.

While "practice something you are not good at yet" gives the drummer hope they can do it, and implies a focus on a goal of something they want to achieve. If you want to do it, you have a better chance of doing it. As opposed to learning some thing you don't want to do.

OK, as I said, nit picky and out in left field, but that's my 2 cents.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

DrumEatDrum, thank you for taking the time to write out that post. Its actually a very excellent insight, and I completely agree with you. I've made some changes to reflect what you're talking about. You definitely don't want to practice something that you can't do just for the sake of practicing it. It needs to actually be something that is worth it for you. And changing the wording to reduce the negative focus may help on a subliminal level. You call it nit-picky, but I would prefer to call it subtle and discerning :D
Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
In corporations, Zildjian makes cymbals. They don't make drums. DW makes drums, but doesn't make cymbals. Could Zildjian make drums? Sure, but what would be the point?
Well, they did make those 2 snares in partnership with Noble & Cooley quite a few years back, and they're weren't crappy sounding drums by any means... Point understood though ;-)

D'Amico Drums | Zildjian | Vater
Old 02-19-2011, 09:49 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Number 1

Listen to new music.

Not necessarily something that's just been released, but something that you haven't heard before. I find myself listening to new music most of the time and although I do listen to a lot of music I've heard before, it's easy to get stuck in the rut of just listening to whatever is in your comfort zone. If you hear of an artist that escaped your attention (whatever kind of music it is!) look it up and give it at least five minutes of your time. Whatever the instrumentation is isn't relevant - it really doesn't have to have drums.

Now you have the Internet, it's very, very easy to listen to new music. Use the resource - that's what it's there for!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I might re-phrase #1 to "practice something you are not good at yet".

Spending a lot of time training the sales guy to be a better programmer is probably only going to net you a mediocre programmer and a frustrated salesman. But if you spend the same money, time and effort on additional sales training, person A could become a GREAT salesmen for you, and you still have person B to handle your computer programming.
DED, great discussion. I suspect, because I don't know for sure but it depends on where your at in the drumming journey. I am still an apprentice so I am not sure of what I am good at naturally. In the beginning, everything is hard.

Which brings me to my next realization. I work with a guy who is constantly thinking outside the box, very progressive thinker. Problem is, we are struggling with the things inside the box. The basics, fundamentals. Until you can master them, no sense in trying to circumvent them. Can't buck the system until you understand it.

Went out to the woodshed and spent some time on the basics and the metronome.

Thanks for the guidance and advice.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Number 1

Listen to new music.
Definitely should be on the list....although I'd take it a step further and just call it "LISTEN", period.

Music is sound. Listening is what we should be doing....to new music, to new concepts, to new ideas, to what we're doing, to the way we're playing and to the guys we're playing with.

And "have fun"? It's not patronising mate, it should be a given. That's not to say that we don't work hard, push ourselves or that it will always be easy or enjoyable at every moment. But if it stops being fun, then it starts becoming a chore. If it's a chore, then it's easy to lose interest or start beating yourself up. For mine, it's great advice in the right context......even for a seasoned player.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSnyder View Post
DrumEatDrum, thank you for taking the time to write out that post. Its actually a very excellent insight, and I completely agree with you. I've made some changes to reflect what you're talking about. You definitely don't want to practice something that you can't do just for the sake of practicing it. It needs to actually be something that is worth it for you. And changing the wording to reduce the negative focus may help on a subliminal level. You call it nit-picky, but I would prefer to call it subtle and discerning :D
You're welcome. I had a feeling you would get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelipeJose View Post
Well, they did make those 2 snares in partnership with Noble & Cooley quite a few years back, and they're weren't crappy sounding drums by any means... Point understood though ;-)
Sure, the drums sounded good.

But from a business perspective, they didn't sell that many, numerous people who did buy them attempted to return them, and the drums were quickly discontinued.
That story actually proves the point, because it ended up being a bad business decision for Zildjian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaajn View Post
DED, great discussion. I suspect, because I don't know for sure but it depends on where your at in the drumming journey. I am still an apprentice so I am not sure of what I am good at naturally. In the beginning, everything is hard.

Thanks for the guidance and advice.
No problem. I am glad someone enjoyed my ramble.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Number 1

Listen to new music.

Not necessarily something that's just been released, but something that you haven't heard before. I find myself listening to new music most of the time and although I do listen to a lot of music I've heard before, it's easy to get stuck in the rut of just listening to whatever is in your comfort zone. If you hear of an artist that escaped your attention (whatever kind of music it is!) look it up and give it at least five minutes of your time. Whatever the instrumentation is isn't relevant - it really doesn't have to have drums.

Now you have the Internet, it's very, very easy to listen to new music. Use the resource - that's what it's there for!
Hmm, thats a very good point. I should have that on the list. I don't know if I would put it at #1 necessarily though. I may have to turn this into the top 6, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Definitely should be on the list....although I'd take it a step further and just call it "LISTEN", period.

Music is sound. Listening is what we should be doing....to new music, to new concepts, to new ideas, to what we're doing, to the way we're playing and to the guys we're playing with.

And "have fun"? It's not patronising mate, it should be a given. That's not to say that we don't work hard, push ourselves or that it will always be easy or enjoyable at every moment. But if it stops being fun, then it starts becoming a chore. If it's a chore, then it's easy to lose interest or start beating yourself up. For mine, it's great advice in the right context......even for a seasoned player.
Yes, I would put it down as "Listen," because it really applies to a broad range of things. For example, listening to new music, listening specifically to different parts of the music, listening to the other musicians in a band context and being aware of what's coming up, and even listening to other people's advice and opinions.

And about the whole "have fun" thing, it definitely feels a bit patronizing at times, but like I said, that may just be me, haha. And honestly, I think drumming won't always be fun. In fact, I might even go out on a limb and say that the most useful and rewarding part of drumming isn't fun at all, and that would be hard practice. When you're working on difficult stuff, it can be very frustrating and difficult. But on the other hand, boy does it feel good when you get through a rough patch! Like I said, to me, thats one of the most rewarding things :D

But no, I agree, its sometimes good to be reminded to just relax and enjoy it! It just seems to me like that particular piece of advice gets tacked on at the end of every list, haha.

Thank you all so much for your input! You're making me rethink some of this stuff, and thats great! I really appreciate it! Keep the criticism coming! :D
Old 02-19-2011, 11:58 PM

Good guide, it seems like you put a lot of thought into it. Very helpful for new players.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Gold Member

Nothing wrong with your first number 5....A general rule in life I follow is to : never take myself to serious and live in the moment......good list Luke!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:20 AM

Re: #5...I have a friend who plays drums but can't read music. He's not bad but when he tries to teach other people it is a slow process. Maybe it's just the way I learned but counting things out loud was and still is a very important part of the learning and practicing process.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 AM

Great thread by the way.. but a couple of points to make...
#1 Practice what you are not good at...sorry, I'm not good at 32nd note bass runs, but it doesn't fit what I do. I spent the past several years thinking it was important, so of course I worked on it. It is a waste of my time since I really don't need it for what I'm doing on the drums.
The added point of listening. When a drummer starts doing something that hasn't been done before I will agree with this, but it hasn't happened in at least 35 years.
Other than the really fast bass runs, there has really been no real change to drumming and recorded drums in at least that long. Everything has been done before, and many times better. Listen to Billy Cobham in 1971 (40 years ago), Bruford (40+ years ago).
The only excepton to this may be Bozzio, who continues to look for new drumming, but even his good stuff is now maybe 10 years old Avoid listening, that way there won't be preconceived notions of what a drummer should sound like. Johnny Rabb is innovative, but it doesn't fit with real music. The new drummers of the future should be setting targets of higher than those that have gone before, not trying to be "as good". I would love to hear something new, but honestly it is not happening right now by anyone.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
Good guide, it seems like you put a lot of thought into it. Very helpful for new players.
Thanks Algorithm, its definitely geared more towards drummers who are just starting out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braincramp View Post
Nothing wrong with your first number 5....A general rule in life I follow is to : never take myself to serious and live in the moment......good list Luke!
Haha, I try to never take myself too seriously, you would understand if you see my face ;) But I do try to take drumming pretty seriously! Trust me though, I have a lot of fun. Probably more fun than is healthy, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWorm View Post
Re: #5...I have a friend who plays drums but can't read music. He's not bad but when he tries to teach other people it is a slow process. Maybe it's just the way I learned but counting things out loud was and still is a very important part of the learning and practicing process.
Yes, counting is directly tied to reading and writing music. In fact, its essentially the foundation of it. If you count, you're basically organizing the sound in reference to a meter, which is then very easy to translate to paper. And absolutely, its very difficult to teach if you can't write it out. In fact, thats when I learned how to read and write drum notation, when I started teaching. I realized that it was essential if I was to explain what I was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtyler View Post
Great thread by the way.. but a couple of points to make...
#1 Practice what you are not good at...sorry, I'm not good at 32nd note bass runs, but it doesn't fit what I do. I spent the past several years thinking it was important, so of course I worked on it. It is a waste of my time since I really don't need it for what I'm doing on the drums.
The added point of listening. When a drummer starts doing something that hasn't been done before I will agree with this, but it hasn't happened in at least 35 years.
Other than the really fast bass runs, there has really been no real change to drumming and recorded drums in at least that long. Everything has been done before, and many times better. Listen to Billy Cobham in 1971 (40 years ago), Bruford (40+ years ago).
The only excepton to this may be Bozzio, who continues to look for new drumming, but even his good stuff is now maybe 10 years old Avoid listening, that way there won't be preconceived notions of what a drummer should sound like. Johnny Rabb is innovative, but it doesn't fit with real music. The new drummers of the future should be setting targets of higher than those that have gone before, not trying to be "as good". I would love to hear something new, but honestly it is not happening right now by anyone.
I believe this is actually similar to what DrumEatDrum was referring to earlier, and I do agree with you. I guess what I need to clarify is that it it depends on your goals. As DED put it so clearly:

"Let's take the Samba.
Drummer A is bad at the samba.
Drummer B is bad at the samba.

Both sign up for lessons from the same drum teacher.

Drummer A wants to be a very versatile drummer. Spending a lot of time working on the Samba is good idea then.

Drummer B wants to be a rock drummer in his garage band, and nothing more. Spending a lot of time working on the samba is most likely going to lead to a lot of frustration, burn out, and he might just end up quitting taking lessons."

So basically, if you just want to be a rock drummer and don't really care about anything else, then its fine! Just focus on the rock grooves that you need to perform that you can't play yet, and you'll be good to go. However, if you want to expand from there and play EVERYTHING, then you need to practice the things that are outside of your comfort zone. Thats the only way you can grow.

And about listening, I agree and disagree at the same time :D I would say it depends on what you're trying to do! I'm aiming towards being a sessions drummer and educator, so I have to be aware of what other people out there are playing. The problem with that is that at some level, it does what you're saying; it builds a preconception of what a drummer is, and what I should play as a drummer. If you don't listen to anyone else, it keeps your influences "pure" is one way to look at it, I suppose. So I always try to maintain a balance.

Thanks for commenting! And on a somewhat unrelated note, I dig what you're doing Jim! I can't start to wrap my brain around playing the stuff you do, props! You and Bozzio are two of the only guys I've seen play full songs like that. I've seen some of your videos on Youtube before, I just subscribed.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

There is one more layer to this onion. Like anything else, drumming has novices, beginners, intermediates, experts and Gods.

The five things a brand new drummer, either a kid or an adult learner....
1. Buy sticks and a practice pad
2. Shop for a kit
3. Find a teacher

The five things I need as an intermediate/novice drummer (about three to four years).....

The five things that an expert needs....

Some of them will be the same, I think listen will be in every category. My guess is there are some things that never change no matter how long you have been playing....
Old 02-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Silver Member

EAT

If you don't eat, you won't be very successful at your drumming.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Learning to count is also important. You listed six things, with two #5's ;)

Bermuda
Old 02-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
EAT

If you don't eat, you won't be very successful at your drumming.
Thus my user name. :-)
Old 02-20-2011, 05:14 PM

THE NINE THINGS EVERY DRUMMER NEEDS TO DO

Somethings which seemt to have been overlooked, though maybe I missed it:

Play with other musicians

This is something that I have not been able to do, and I just know that it is holding back my drumming progress massively. We play the drums to make music, right?

Since the list of five is now bursting at the seems with additional suggestions, why not do the upgrade and make a Ten things every drummers needs to do.

But then, what is it about fives and tens! Why do we always have to have the five of this, or the ten of that. What is it about those numbers!? Reminds me of the way many of our musical brains are stuck in 4/4. Why not break the chains and go for 7, 9 or 11?! My personal favourite would be nine! So, the nine things every drummer needs to do?

To kick off:

1. Work on what you're not good at yet
2. Get a good teacher
3. Play with a metronome
4. Wear hearing protection
5. Keep it fun
6. Learn to read music
7. Listen
8. Play with other musicians
9. Try those odd numbers to improve your co-ordination
Old 02-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Gold Member

Everyone, thank you very much for your input. I'm going to be rewriting this article shortly, with all of your feedback in mind. I think I will actually add a couple more points, because I think listening and playing with other people, for example, are just too important not to mention. Stay tuned! Any more criticism/input/suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Rebel

Oh! I thought for an instance that DrumEatDrum, was coming from Dog Eat Dog - AC/DC. ;-)

Quote:
Thus my user name. :-)
Old 02-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Rebel

+ Learning the basic steps: Rudiments.

+ Develop your own - Feel- to play.

+ Tuning and Sound: Feel and Ears.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legobeast View Post
1. Work on what you're not good at yet
2. Get a good teacher
3. Play with a metronome
4. Wear hearing protection
5. Keep it fun
6. Learn to read music
7. Listen
8. Play with other musicians
If you have a good teacher then you'll already be doing:

3. Play with a metronome
6. Learn to read music
7. Listen
Old 02-21-2011, 06:45 PM

If I might add something I would have to see keep dreaming. This sounds bad, but I mean it in a good way. For me, always keeping that dream of having a Starclassic, DW Performance series, or PDP Platinum keep me motivated to get better and sound better. All of those dreams of playing with my band on a big stage to a big crowd and dreaming of making it are what keep me going with the speed of improvement I seem to have. (No one ever belives me when i tell them how long I have been playing lol) Those dreams of making it give me the perseverance to work through my plateaus and spend time practicing instead of being lazy all day.

Also, I would like to greatly emphasize the point of maintaining your gear. I say this because when I keep my gear tuned, wiped off, and adjusted perfectly, I get motivated much easier. I'm sure I speak for most by saying when my kit looks and sounds good, I do too.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSnyder View Post
Everyone, thank you very much for your input. I'm going to be rewriting this article shortly, with all of your feedback in mind. I think I will actually add a couple more points, because I think listening and playing with other people, for example, are just too important not to mention. Stay tuned! Any more criticism/input/suggestions are welcome.
Been thinking about this topic lately. I started another thread with the premise that I am average. And average is good, so if I know I am average, I can ask around and found out what the common problems and solutions are.

Got the Email today that said: "Thanks but no thanks, we are looking for somebody more experienced" which makes perfect sense, if I were in these chap's shoes, I would have made the same call but it still eats at you a little bit. And since I am average, it probably eats at a lot of people when the don't get the gig.

However, I have learned some important things that may be included in the list of what/what not to do....

X. Take a whack at it, worst thing that can happen is they tell you no. (Audition)

X. Learn how to interpret a song and play it back on the kit. This skill probably comes all the other Honeydews combined. (Learn songs fast and accurately)

My brother is a writer, he clued me into the fact that in some circles, 300 to 1 is average. That is 300 hundred submissions for 1 acceptance.....

299 to go. :-)
Old 02-21-2011, 09:46 PM

new music gives you a wider vocabulary.

agree with everything said.

Especially eating, ...frost.

Reading does help, I can read. That way people can give you a chart, and you know what they want. A lot of times its a guidepoint to work from or exactly what they want. Helps.

I would say learn some handrums or at least many different styles of set playing. Mozambique, afro cuban, latin, bossa nova, brush technique.

Versatility.

Be able to fill the need of the song, not yourself. Be a team player.

Dynamics and good transitions...

Last edited by paistemage; 02-21-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Great ideas. Too bad I haven't any of them by the having fun part. :)
Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe off-topic for this one. No one here has said this one to be successful at being a drummer: be on time!