DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Good day/bad day check-in

Today I showed up to practice and was greeted with a homemade plywood sound wall painted flat black. We used to have a regular Plexiglas or acrylic sound wall (I don't know what they're made of), but the owner of the sound wall decided he needed it back again. So, Bob, the band leader, made one of his own. It was four or five equal sections with hinges. I'm on a riser, so I could only see the tops of everyone's heads. It was odd to say the least. We need some little windows in it or something. I was off a little tonight because there was a little disconnect there with the rest of the band. I couldn't see them! Oh well, we'll have to see how it goes next week. Maybe he will modify the sound wall a little.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:05 PM

Started working on a new fill using a six stroke sequence
R,L,R,L,L,K .......... Working it up to speed on the snare and then will start moving the sticking around the kit until it is coming comfortably and feels natural. Then I'll start working it into fills........ New stuff is always fun. I always feel like I'm in the deep end of the pool with cement boots on when I start.......... Terry

.......Bermuda.......
Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

Good day! Signed the lease and got the keys for my new place. My wife gets her big kitchen, my daughter gets a bigger bedroom, my dogs get a fenced in yard to run around in, and I get an 18'x12' room for my drums. I couldn't be any happier!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

8mile checking in with a good AND bad day.

I spent the whole day playing music. First, auditioning a bass player for my about-to-be-formed jazz band. Then, off to a gig to debut my friend's CD release by performing it live in its entirety.

That made it a good day.

But I flubbed some things on the gig, and I'm kind of down on myself about it. We had precious little time to rehearse, some of the parts being decided the night before the gig. But I thought I took good notes and would nail it. Unfortunately, I came in at the wrong time a few times throughout the show. I wanted to give my friend a flawless performance but I came up short. It seems like the show was a big success, but I know what I did wrong and so does he and I have to admit, it is nagging at me.

So that part was a bad day.

Now, I'm just tired.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Simple. I was never little.
Ouch!!! ... poor Mum :)
Old 10-21-2013, 01:15 AM

Most days are in between since my drums are at my guitarist's place and we only get to play once a week as it's a bit of a drive. But I ordered a new set of CMs last night, so It's been a good day daydreaming about my future tubs. Not sure how long that feeling will last as I become increasingly impatient, though.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:00 PM

Good day 3 months tobacco free.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcoman View Post
Good day 3 months tobacco free.
Congrats! I'll be seeing my three months in about two weeks, and I can't wait to brag about it to everybody I know
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

Congrats to both of you guys, I know it's very tough to do, but trust me, having lost my Father to smoking related illness, it's a good, great, achievement, my utmost respect to you both.

H
Old 10-25-2013, 02:54 AM
Gold Member

Bad day, the fiancé dragged me round shops all day as we're decorating our bedroom over the next couple days. By the sixth hour, looking at cushions, I had to call it a day.

But then we had a little jam when we got home for about an hour, her on the guitar and me on the kit so it got a lot better.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

Very good day. My COPD is so mild as to hardly be there, according to my pulmonologist Dr. Velasquez. He was all smiles. I passed my breathing test with flying colors. To celebrate, I bought myself a large chocolate milkshake at Dairy Queen.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:51 AM

Wow.

I finally got my kit home from my guitar players house after six months. During that time I only got to play MAYBE once a week. (It would have been more, but he lives 10 miles out into the country) But I set up today at my house and as I was practicing, I was able to figure out and play these independence patterns that I had never been able to play before, ever.. It makes me wonder if all that time off was a good thing.

But anyway.....VERY GOOD day.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:39 AM
Silver Member

bad day....kind of a carpel tunnel thing in my right elbow from repetitive motion yardwork which interferes with playing....taking too much ibuprofen lately....not great for the kidneys, but I have outlived too many of my buddies already!
Old 11-03-2013, 03:40 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
Very good day. My COPD is so mild as to hardly be there, according to my pulmonologist Dr. Velasquez. He was all smiles. I passed my breathing test with flying colors. To celebrate, I bought myself a large chocolate milkshake at Dairy Queen.
Well now your lungs and your tongue feel better. good day.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

I had a good day yesterday. Played a gig with the garage band and the place was absolutely packed. We did a great job and got an invitation to play on New Year's Eve! For money! This will be only my 2nd New Year's Eve gig. The first one was just a backyard party. I'm jazzed! I love playing holiday gigs.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:23 PM

(very, very) good day!

I haven't played for about 10 weeks - I dunno, just lost all my mojo (and my confidence).

Picked up the sticks today for the first time since then and it was really great - even though I didn't start playing until last year, it still felt like home and I really enjoyed myself :)
Old 12-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Gold Member

Absolutely fantastic day today.

One day only in the studio (with about 3 available hours I could offer) to setup, check and nail two songs. Been nervous about recording these numbers as they are only a week old, we've rehearsed them about 4times as a full band and the are lots of stops and starts to nail. No pressure.

First song- Got it in one take
Second song. Got the first take nailed in one using rutes throughout, then the band decided they wanted me to switch from rutes to sticks in the second half of the number. They punched me in and I managed to play along with my already recorded second half, perfectly in time with my drums and the guitars/vocals.

Made up. Today was a great day.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:19 PM

Terrible day, moved into a house a month ago, checked the loft yesterday (I work away from home) and we have a fly infestation going on up there. So instead of spending six hours behind my new kit, I'm spending 6 hours killing and hoovering up flies.
Thousands and thousands of them, dirty b******s.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Very good day last Sunday. I went into the studio to lay down a couple tracks. The engineer was smiling, talking to another musician, pointing at the computer monitor. Afterwards, I found out that he was pointing out how perfectly my drum part lined up with the grid. Since that's what I was going for - something very solid and straight - it really kind of made my day. Just last year, I was hitting some rough spots. I think focusing on recording last winter really cleaned up some microtiming issues for me.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TColumbia37 View Post
Congrats! I'll be seeing my three months in about two weeks, and I can't wait to brag about it to everybody I know
Well done both of you. I gave up a 40 a day habit about 25 years ago and its still the best thing I ever did.

Now, with all the cash you will save you can buy more shiny drummy things.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:42 AM

Had a bad day and one of many these past few months. Seems I cant get anything to feel right anymore. I've been analysing my technique and still seems to have no gains in the feet department while my hands stay relatively the same. For the first time in these 3 or so years i t feels like a chore to get behind the kit, as if i am doing it just to chase my dreams of getting out of this town by being a musician
Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboyo View Post
Terrible day, moved into a house a month ago, checked the loft yesterday (I work away from home) and we have a fly infestation going on up there. So instead of spending six hours behind my new kit, I'm spending 6 hours killing and hoovering up flies.
Thousands and thousands of them, dirty b******s.
A very wise philosopher once said; "time's fun when you're having flies".
Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Very good day last Sunday. I went into the studio to lay down a couple tracks. The engineer was smiling, talking to another musician, pointing at the computer monitor. Afterwards, I found out that he was pointing out how perfectly my drum part lined up with the grid. Since that's what I was going for - something very solid and straight - it really kind of made my day. Just last year, I was hitting some rough spots. I think focusing on recording last winter really cleaned up some microtiming issues for me.
Good deal! Nothing like tracking to expose various things. Sounds like you've resolved those issues from last year. Way to go!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:43 AM

Some days are the best when we catch the correct beats and play in tune. Some days its horrible, some things do not go well, either we have problem in sitting comfortably, keeping the legs on the drum beat. Some day we have problem in our hand or fingers which seems not to move as per our need. In our mind we are correctly tuned but the hands does not move as per out thoughts. Best thing to do for these days are to stop practice and do something different. Music is something if not played or heard in tune has no meaning.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Very good day last Sunday. I went into the studio to lay down a couple tracks. The engineer was smiling, talking to another musician, pointing at the computer monitor. Afterwards, I found out that he was pointing out how perfectly my drum part lined up with the grid. Since that's what I was going for - something very solid and straight - it really kind of made my day.
That's a big deal, & as you know, not easy. Says a lot about you as a player, & we often forget that delivering in this way is actually our job!!!! Great result :)
Old 12-05-2013, 12:26 PM

Bad day car broke down cost 900€ GRRR . cars are bad investments .
But did a good rehearsal,so that a good thing.
Paiste 602
Old 05-01-2014, 04:33 AM
Platinum Member

Bad day for personal reasons. But a good week overall for music. Playing a couple sessions this week and can play a lot more music because I took some vacation time from work.

Also, my new Ludwig Atlas Pro Double Pedal arrived today! Can't wait to take it out of the box and start using it tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:22 AM

Bad quarter as far as finances, relationships, and other such things. Should be a good weekend music wise as I have about 3 different music things lined up.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:08 PM

bad day. Some days you just can't win!
Old 05-02-2014, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

Really good day today. Did some recording and worked out on my new double pedal—I love it!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:05 PM

OK, I'm a little late but this weekend I had a pretty incredible good day bad day experience.

First, it was a bad day when I went to the doctor and felt like I had run a marathon when I hadn't. He immediately sent me to the emergency room. While at the hospital, they discovered two blocked arteries in my heart and installed two stents. Afterword, they told me I was this close to a MASSIVE heart attack.

The good day happened when it was all said and done I feel better than I have in years, I didn't have a heart attack and essentially have been given a fresh new life!

Sure, I have some lifestyle changes to go through since I was a huuuuge dumbass for 35 years or more but that is minor.

I am the luckiest guy on the planet the way this all worked out.

It sure changed my perspective on a LOT of things. I don't even mind sucking at playing drums anymore for one thing!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZslim View Post
OK, I'm a little late but this weekend I had a pretty incredible good day bad day experience.

First, it was a bad day when I went to the doctor and felt like I had run a marathon when I hadn't. He immediately sent me to the emergency room. While at the hospital, they discovered two blocked arteries in my heart and installed two stents. Afterword, they told me I was this close to a MASSIVE heart attack.

The good day happened when it was all said and done I feel better than I have in years, I didn't have a heart attack and essentially have been given a fresh new life!
Wow! Glad to hear that frightening, dangerous event turned out OK for you. Maybe some other folks (here and elsewhere) will make necessary changes after hearing about your experience.

A new lease on life is an awesome (in the real meaning of that word) thing! Best wishes to you going forward.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Good day. This was day four of National Hospital week. Free lunch and a nice frozen dessert from Ritas. Tomorrow day off, birthday.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2014, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Sure, I have some lifestyle changes to go through since I was a huuuuge dumbass for 35 years or more but that is minor.

I am the luckiest guy on the planet the way this all worked out.

It sure changed my perspective on a LOT of things. I don't even mind sucking at playing drums anymore for one thing!
Holy cow, man. That's crazy, but so glad to hear things turned out for the best!
Old 05-16-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Holy cow, man. That's crazy, but so glad to hear things turned out for the best!
It is crazy. I feel great and have whole new perspective on a lot of things. One example pertinent to this group is as I was practicing tonight (the first time since the procedure last Saturday because they went int through my wrist), I am now able to forgive myself for drumming mistakes and as a result I enjoy playing even more than before.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:59 PM

Bad Day:
Just found out that my little slip on the outside step a few days ago resulted in a broken 5th Metatarsal and can't drive for 4-6 weeks.
Good day:
Today I was fitted with a boot and that it should heal in about 8 weeks, provided I follow my Dr's orders. I'm nervous because we move to another, awesome home on June 10th but won't be able to use my right foot at all. I can now concentrate on my wrists and maybe my left foot (it gets a bit soar because its now dominant) with a double pedal. I guess I'm grateful that's its a very common and clean break and that I can at least walk. Now tomorrow...............Take care, Jeff
Old 05-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
It is crazy. I feel great and have whole new perspective on a lot of things. One example pertinent to this group is as I was practicing tonight (the first time since the procedure last Saturday because they went int through my wrist), I am now able to forgive myself for drumming mistakes and as a result I enjoy playing even more than before.
AZslim, happy to read of your bad day turned good! Be well, best wishes.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Checking in on this old thread with not only a good day, but a good entire weekend. I played gigs Friday and Saturday night and I got two of the best compliments I've received in a long time.

A really fine musician who sat in with our rock and blues cover band Friday night said, "You're a great drummer; you have great time."

Last night, I played with a little jazz quartet I've been jamming with recently. These are fine musicians, and their former drummer, who used to tour as a full-time pro on the big band circuit, was in the audience. We got to talking and when he found out I had a day job, he looked surprised and said, "I can't believe you don't do this full-time."

I think this has been discussed here before, but not all compliments are equal. For a weekend warrior like me, those are about the nicest words I could hear.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Checking in on this old thread with not only a good day, but a good entire weekend. I played gigs Friday and Saturday night and I got two of the best compliments I've received in a long time.

A really fine musician who sat in with our rock and blues cover band Friday night said, "You're a great drummer; you have great time."

Last night, I played with a little jazz quartet I've been jamming with recently. These are fine musicians, and their former drummer, who used to tour as a full-time pro on the big band circuit, was in the audience. We got to talking and when he found out I had a day job, he looked surprised and said, "I can't believe you don't do this full-time."

I think this has been discussed here before, but not all compliments are equal. For a weekend warrior like me, those are about the nicest words I could hear.
Excellent news - just makes you feel good about your passion :)
Old 09-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

That's made me go warm and fuzzy. And how good of them to actually say those things to you, rather than just think them.