DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-07-2012, 02:54 AM
llosnd llosnd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Wales
Posts: 48
Default I need help..

I'm heading to University in a couple of weeks to study Popular Music and I really wanna take my kit with me.. I have to take a lot of other stuff with me too, so I had an idea about how to store the drums on the way down-

Basically buy myself a decent hard case to put my 24" kick in and then put all my other drums inside each other, so all the drums will be in the flight case.. I know I'll have to put something between each drum to prevent damage and stuff and I can put all my hardware in the footwell of the back seats and I'll have my cymbals in a padded case lying flat in the boot/trunk..

Has anyone tried this before?

Any help would much appreciated

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-07-2012, 03:18 AM
Numberless's Avatar
Numberless Numberless is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,528
Default Re: I need help..

Wouldn't there be practice rooms with drums kits in them at the Uni for practicing?
__________________
you inspire the ugliest things
drum vids-->http://www.youtube.com/user/Lastdragonrider88
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-07-2012, 03:41 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: I need help..

"Nesting" drums is how many manufacturers box kits up to deliver them. Obviously the heads, hoops (and possibly shell hardware, depending on drum diameter) all have to come off. But if it all fits, then there's nothing wrong with transporting drums this way......especially as a one off. If you moved 'em like that too often, the continual set up would be a major PITA.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: I need help..

Not sure how much money you got, but you can just buy a kit when you get there, then sell it or trade it before you leave. The Sonor Bop kit is like $400. Just bring your cymbals with you.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Bad Tempered Clavier's Avatar
Bad Tempered Clavier Bad Tempered Clavier is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 576
Default Re: I need help..

Quote:
Originally Posted by llosnd View Post
Has anyone tried this before?
Used to take one of my kits to gigs like that - didn't even use cases and it was fine. I had a 22" BD with front head removed. I lined that with a thick blanket and put a 16" floor tom inside with no resonant head. Then a little padding, then a 12" tom with both heads. Then the seat of my throne. Then another cushion or so and the 14" snare would sit on top and I think a handful of cymbals on top of that - but only hats, ride, and one crash. If there was room I'd take a 13" tom loose but that was not essential.

Once I'd bundled the hardware up I could fit me, my kit, and my two bandmates plus their amps and guitars into one Mark III Vauxhall Astra. Life in the Bus Lane . . .
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM
llosnd llosnd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Wales
Posts: 48
Default Re: I need help..

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberless View Post
Wouldn't there be practice rooms with drums kits in them at the Uni for practicing?
The Uni does have their own kits, but they aren't allowed to leave the studios, and I'm planning on doing some gigging.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Not sure how much money you got, but you can just buy a kit when you get there, then sell it or trade it before you leave. The Sonor Bop kit is like $400. Just bring your cymbals with you.
I probably could do this with my student loan, but I can think of a lot people who'd disagree with that haha and I love big drums, so a Bop kit might not cut it for me :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Tempered Clavier View Post
Used to take one of my kits to gigs like that - didn't even use cases and it was fine. I had a 22" BD with front head removed. I lined that with a thick blanket and put a 16" floor tom inside with no resonant head. Then a little padding, then a 12" tom with both heads. Then the seat of my throne. Then another cushion or so and the 14" snare would sit on top and I think a handful of cymbals on top of that - but only hats, ride, and one crash. If there was room I'd take a 13" tom loose but that was not essential.

Once I'd bundled the hardware up I could fit me, my kit, and my two bandmates plus their amps and guitars into one Mark III Vauxhall Astra. Life in the Bus Lane . . .
This is what I like to hear :P I think I'm gonna get a 24x24 case instead of a 24x18 so I can fit my cymbal case in it as well.. it's gonna way a freaking ton though haha


Thanks for all your answers!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com