DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pollyanna’s 10 000 posts award retrospective…

Sorry to hear about your dad's passing. Hopefully you can both find some peace in your journeys.

My dad went really quick at only 62. Here today, gone tomorrow. Didn't have no closure, but I did see him earlier that year when he visited California.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

My father and I had a very rocky relationship. He was an alcoholic and at one point had "disowned" me because I refused to support his habit.

Fast forward 3 years later and he called me telling me he was going in for bypass surgery. He was living on a boat in the marina at Hoover Dam in Las Vegas at the time. He insisted that my husband at the time and I wait until he was done with surgery and recovered before coming out to see him. We had a nice talk on the phone and he said "I love you" at the end of the conversation.

I called the hospital the day he came out of surgery and the nurse said he was in recovery and doing great. Less than 8 hours later, my brother called me telling me had died. I'm sure the years of alcoholism played hard on his organs and they all shut down in the end.

I did go to the funeral but seeing your father in an open casket after not speaking for 3 years is a hard reality to face. It is one of my great regrets. My father was far from perfect but I have some great memories of him when I was growing up and it is one of my few real regrets in life.

Polly, you have nothing to regret and that in itself is priceless.

MaryO
Old 05-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry Polly (and Mary O too). I know this experience is coming down the road too soon for me as well, as my parents are up there in years. I've experienced incredible pain with a recent divorce and my kid hating me & now estranging herself from me for it. I admire your courage and intelligence through it all. Peace.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Renegade

Thanks guys. Henri, I'm especially stoked about your blessings from Gob. I've always liked my food :)

Without dwelling on all this it's an odd thing that there's hardly any songs about food. Odd because it seems to me that food gives many people at least as much pleasure as lurrrve. This is a good one, though - my favourite Cozy Powell drumming performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N74N-JmjBo8
Old 05-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Killer! Kinda what Hendrix might have sounded like if he was around a few more years..

Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Since this has been a really self indulgent thread for me I might as well use it for this ... my Dad died last night after having a heart attack in hospital, peacefully (insofar as the painful process of dying can be peaceful).

Just letting you know because some of my pals here would want to know. I don't feel especially sad or in need of condolences because he lived a full span (89) and probably had a more comfortable and enjoyable life than most (apart from dealing with his problematic daughters, of course :)
So sorry to hear this news. I am glad you posted it here, Mary too. And for everybody who has lost. The powerful thing that I take away from this is even though most of us exist in anonymity, we are not alone. Glad to know that I am not the only social animal on this planet. That would be lonely.

When it gets dark and painful, remember you/me are not alone. Very corageous discussion.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Without dwelling on all this it's an odd thing that there's hardly any songs about food. Odd because it seems to me that food gives many people at least as much pleasure as lurrrve.
Bermuda may take issue with this statement, and could offer Weird Al's biggest hit "Eat It". :)

p.s. It doesn't matter if boiled or fried, just eat it....
Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Henri, I'm especially stoked about your blessings from Gob. I've always liked my food :)
Oh my... talk about THE mis-typed spelling from MAD!!!

I'm so sorry Grea... *full red blushing* ...but, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your food :)

In an attempt to be forgiven, I'm putting a link featuring one of your first drumming hero, it's interesting to hear these versions, different than any records I know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AL73...eature=related

Quote:
Without dwelling on all this it's an odd thing that there's hardly any songs about food. Odd because it seems to me that food gives many people at least as much pleasure as lurrrve.
This, Nina Simone & Pete Towshend, drums by Simon Phillips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ga_c...ature=youtu.be

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Polly, you have nothing to regret and that in itself is priceless.
A touching story Mary ...I can relate to your regrets, my mum was sick for the last four years of her live, during that time I had regrets about choosing to live abroad and not being there for her, but I was grateful to see her during my holidays during her last few days with us, I was by her bedside when she died peacefully in my arms, she was only 69.

Last edited by Mad About Drums; 05-23-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Rebel

Dear Grea:

Please accept my apologies for replying late on your Dad's death.

You are an strong woman with a big heart, who stood up and took care of a Father selflessly.

May God Bless Your Father and Rest In Peace.

PS: I just want to let you know. I still keep that letter of yours...

A gift to you: Cozy Powell - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZsOVCaLGyQ

All The Best,

Ian

Quote:
Since this has been a really self indulgent thread for me I might as well use it for this ... my Dad died last night after having a heart attack in hospital, peacefully (insofar as the painful process of dying can be peaceful).

Just letting you know because some of my pals here would want to know. I don't feel especially sad or in need of condolences because he lived a full span (89) and probably had a more comfortable and enjoyable life than most (apart from dealing with his problematic daughters, of course :)

Last edited by Ian Williams; 05-23-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
... my Dad died last night...
Very sorry to hear that. My condolences. (Even if you don’t want ‘em now, you can save them for later.)

But based on the available evidence--that is, you carrying around half his genes--he must have been a pretty cool guy in his day. Big props from my end for his 89-year run.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Grea, you have my condolences. There's an element of shock at first, then reflection is often the next phase. You gave your all to your Dad right up to the end and that's a beautiful thing. As difficult as taking care of him was, you will have no regrets.

The feeling of loss is a fresh one for me. I lost my Grandma two weeks ago, the last of my grandparents. She was 95 and lived a great life surrounded by love. She was a huge part of my life when I was growing up and really set an example for how to live life to the fullest. She never learned to drive a car and was widowed at age 70, but she never slowed down. She was pull-starting the lawnmower and mowing her own lawn into her 80s. To her last day, she was walking around with the help of a walker (no wheelchair).

You're in my thoughts. Play some good music and think of the good times spent together with your Dad.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 AM
Silver Member

:(
I'm sorry to hear this but, I also know this is what you wanted for him. For the suffering to be over.
You already know how I feel about your selfless dedication to him as a carer.
You're an angel who's more than earned her wings.

You'll meet again.

God bless the pair of you.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

Grea,

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your father. Best wishes through the harder times.

Matt
Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Renegade

Thanks again, guys. Very kind.

@ Mary, yes I can see how that would be hard. Inevitably that that hurt would leave a scar. Over time we all seem build up a fair collection of scars from those times when we've been stuck in impossible situations, like yours was. Not your fault. Probably not even your father's fault. More a case of sheet happens. We are all just flawed humans and some are going to be more flawed than others.

@ Henri - you know me ... I liked the typo greatly :) Great links too! Purple ... wow. One of the most fun bands ever, and with tons of talent.

@ Aaajn - we're never alone with DW! :)

@ larryz - I saw some blogger's list of food based songs where he ranked Eat It No 1. How about that? Weird Al and Bermuda cut Mick and Charlie (Brown Sugar).

@ Ian - I've not seen that Cozy clip before. OMG it's almost like Slade at times lol. Suspect Sting got the idea of Doo Doo Doo Da Da Da from this. Just a cute way of saying "f off" :)

@ Anduin - LOL nooo, Dad was massively uncool. His politics were right of Atilla the Hun. Mum was the cool one ... in her own uncool way hehe

@ 8Mile - thanks Larry. Your grandmother made it to 95 - huge innings. Can't be any regrets there.

@ Chunky - exactly. There's no sense existing if you're not living. What's hard is that the line between those two things can be blurred.

@ Matt - thanks for coming out of "retirement" for this, Matt. I appreciate that. Hope you're getting tons of good gigs.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Silver Member

Does anybody think this thread was started for a reason greater than it's original intent?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Renegade

Nah. Henri just wanted to give me a treat because we're e-pals. He obviously thought it would be fun and, just as obviously, he enjoys a project.

It has become an interesting sprawling free-for-all. If threads are songs then this is one of those massive jams that can happen when everyone's had a few.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaajn View Post
Does anybody think this thread was started for a reason greater than it's original intent?
yes.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Nah. Henri just wanted to give me a treat because we're e-pals. He obviously thought it would be fun and, just as obviously, he enjoys a project.

It has become an interesting sprawling free-for-all. If threads are songs then this is one of those massive jams that can happen when everyone's had a few.
True enough but I still have the feeling a lot of people you included, me included aired some stuff here, some private, some public. Kind of magical, like one of those massive jams that can happen when everyone's had a few. :-0
Old 05-25-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
True enough but I still have the feeling a lot of people you included, me included aired some stuff here, some private, some public. Kind of magical, like one of those massive jams that can happen when everyone's had a few. :-0
yes. (slight return)
Old 05-25-2012, 06:22 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
No, all threads are started for their original intent. Some of us just don't what that intent may have been. Only the thread starter would know the intent. So the answer has to be no.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

Grea, I'm sorry I'm late to this. I've been travelling, only just back here, apart from the odd minute in a hotel room.

Of course, I'm sorry to hear of dad's demise, but I take great comfort in the knowledge that he didn't suffer unduly, & you didn't have to accompany him on that journey. That really is a blessing, & something positive to take from an otherwise sad & challenging situation.

You're in my thoughts.

Fondest regards, Andy.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangefunk View Post
yes. (slight return)
Says the Voodoo Chile ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
No, all threads are started for their original intent. Some of us just don't what that intent may have been. Only the thread starter would know the intent. So the answer has to be no.
Mr Spock-like logic, GD :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Grea, I'm sorry I'm late to this. I've been travelling, only just back here, apart from the odd minute in a hotel room.

Of course, I'm sorry to hear of dad's demise, but I take great comfort in the knowledge that he didn't suffer unduly ...
Yes, while the last 6 months has been no picnic, he had just one week in hospital before passing. Many are not so lucky.

Both my parents did pretty well in that respect. Mum died suddenly in her sleep in 1995. No pain - just went to sleep and never woke up. A great way to go.

Dad has also done very well by me and I have much to be grateful for. I have unofficially retired from the 9-to-5 grind ... "unofficially" because my bosses have been very good in granting me so much leave with zero pressure, so I'll tie up any loose ends they need before jumping ship entirely.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Quote:
Here you are John, you've got the answer by the lady herself...

... but this thread has reached a greater level than it's original intent.

Actually, it's all down to Larryace, he's the one which gave me the idea of creating this tribute upon reading his thread http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=80332

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangefunk View Post
yes.
expand.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:36 AM
Rebel

Grea with a big smile :*) The Renegade that We all know for sure...
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2013, 03:55 AM
Platinum Member

Henri, now that you're back at the forum ...

:)
Old 08-16-2013, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post

Aw, what a nice gesture! 'Scuze me while I wipe away a tear ... erm, nevermind, it was just beer. Close enough!

So, you gonna kick Anon to the curb now? She's always been a PITA anyway ;-)

My Band
Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: PollyannaÂ’s 10 000 posts award retrospectiveÂ…

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Aw, what a nice gesture! 'Scuze me while I wipe away a tear ... erm, nevermind, it was just beer. Close enough!

So, you gonna kick Anon to the curb now? She's always been a PITA anyway ;-)
Finally. Some closure. What a kind gesture. Anon who?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Wow, now that's true friendship!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Woah - Pol breaks her 10,000 duck - huge news (in this micro planet bubble we wallow in ;)

Mods - can you blend Anon's & Pol's post count together? Show that Gretsch hugging guy a thing or two! - ah, wait - bugger :( ;)
Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:

Woaw!!! *falling from the chair*

Bless you Polly, now I'm redeemed, this thread has finally got a sense and a reason to be here, my effort where not in vain... and I'm meeting you in person in a couple months!!!! What a memorable year this is going to be :)

A big huge hug to you Grea, you've made my day, we have and we can listen to the end of the song.... and what a song this thread has been :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Same here... (err, it's the smoke of the fag that went into my eyes) *liar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Finally. Some closure. What a kind gesture

Absolutely!!!! My life's never gonna be the same again :-))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Anon who?
Anon La Planche :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Wow, now that's true friendship!
Indeed Mary, indeed :)
Old 08-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Sucker!!

I secretly reckon that's why he buggered off in the first place.

Lured you out nicely.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

This all happened before my time so I've been catching up. I may have something in my eye.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Sucker!!

I secretly reckon that's why he buggered off in the first place.

Lured you out nicely.
LOL I think you're right!

Andy, no need to administer my accounts ... I simply have two accounts, which I use as I see fit :)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

I thought I felt the earth move. I was correct.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Andy, no need to administer my accounts ... I simply have two accounts, which I use as I see fit :)
only having a jape ;)
Old 08-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

That explains why work was so easy today. I wasn't thinking about Pollyanna's 10,000. Maybe it's been dragging me down this whole time.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Seeing Polly's name with 10,000 posts....

Am I dreaming? Please never touch that account again. We should retire the name and freeze the 10,000 post count. I feel a little tear welling up...
Old 08-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

I'll never get over Pollyanna. Anon is too "Clark Kent' for me.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Seeing Polly's name with 10,000 posts....

Am I dreaming? Please never touch that account again. We should retire the name and freeze the 10,000 post count. I feel a little tear welling up...
I'm with you, my Bucks County electric drummer man friend.

I have over 4 K ,which is down right remedial ,I never thought would happen,but 10 K is something only DW royalty achieve.

Something to be said for that...hey how about.........Pollanon? :):)

Love ya Pol.cheers

Steve B
Old 08-16-2013, 04:05 PM
"Uncle Larry"

It sent a shock wave around the world that was centered around the drumming frequency. Al scored a set of Ludwig Standards as a result.

Steve if you took the quality of information contained in your posts into account, your post count would be 100,000.