DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:38 AM

Default Best book for learning drum notation?

I have been looking for a book that will teach me the basics of drum notation on up into advanced notation like 6/8 timing 5/4, latin, jazz etc. WHat I have come across so far is either books trying to "teach" me how to play the drums with basic notation OR advanced books that teach on the basis that I already know how to read. I already know HOW to play drums but I would like to know on a molecular level what I am doing. Soooooo I have to learn how to read drum notation :)

What I'm looking for is a book that covers the WHOLE spectrum. From basic explanations of quarter notes, rests, dotted notes etc, to ringo beats, to Morello type of stuff. Not that I want to learn Morello exactly but i'm using his name to express that I want the book to cover advanced stuff as well as begginer stuff.

Every "basics" book I have come across has a ctach to it. They teach you the basics of notation and reading and right when your ready to try the stuff out to some songs the end of the book says "if you want to play songs go buy our other book" it feels like a sales strategy. If possible I would like a book that after teaching me to read drum notation it will not fall short of going on into advanced stuff.

Thanks any help is appreciated

Also hopefully the book you refer will have some type of play along cd, thx
Old 07-03-2011, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Best book for learning drum notation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Johnson View Post
Every "basics" book I have come across has a ctach to it. They teach you the basics of notation and reading and right when your ready to try the stuff out to some songs the end of the book says "if you want to play songs go buy our other book" it feels like a sales strategy. If possible I would like a book that after teaching me to read drum notation it will not fall short of going on into advanced stuff.
So you don't really want a "basics" book, you want an "everything" book. The best one I know of is Joel Rothman's Basic Drumming. It contains a fantastic amount of stuff, and is a great value, but it doesn't include a CD, so you probably wouldn't be able to use it. Someone online is selling a multi-volume, multi-DVD set that claims to cover everything, but it's expensive. I also have my doubts as to whether a single author can write the best possible book on every subject related to the drums. Another one you might try is Rod Morgenstein's Drumset Musician- it's pretty narrowly focused on developing the basic tools of pop drumming. If I were you I'd start with that, along with a beginning snare drum book.