DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:01 PM

Default Brass or no brass?

I had read that a simple way to check for a brass shell was to do the magnet test. However, I recently bought a brand new Ludwig snare (LB400BB) that is supposed to be chrome over brass. However, a common refrigerator style magnet will stick to the shell. The drum came from Ludwig and was in a sealed box.
I also have an older 60's era Slingerland Gene Krupa model which is also supposed to be chrome over brass. Same thing, magnet sticks to it also.
Has anyone else seen this with chrome over brass drums?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Brass or no brass?

Magnets don't stick to brass, but they don't stick to aluminum either, so I'm not quite sure what you're trying to determine. I don't know what the magnet might be attracted to, but perhaps the chrome plating isn't pure chromium; that there's a ferrous element in there somewhere.

I've read that the best way to tell if your chrome plated shell is brass is to take one of the lugs off and check the holes. You might need to scratch some of the plating away but you should be able to see some yellow brass color in there.

In any case, I highly doubt that Ludwig snuck a steel shell in on you :-)
Old 07-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Refrigerator magnets WILL sometimes stick to the chrome plating on Luddie snare drums.I have heard this from a few people so I tried this on my Supra and it does stick ever so slightly to the shell.

The only sure fire way is to remove a lug and scrape off the plating in the mounting hole to reveal the brass.I highly doubt Ludwig is trying to pass off a steel/aluminum shell as brass.

Steve B
Old 07-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
I highly doubt Ludwig is trying to pass off a steel/aluminum shell as brass.
+1.

They've already done enough damage to themselves with the arrival of the Black Magic.....there is no way a drum sealed in a box direct from the factory is going to be anything other than what it claims to be.

I've heard so much mis-information about magnets and what shells they will or won't stick to that I don't know which way is up anymore.

Just play your drum and enjoy it mate. ;-)
Old 07-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

I was going to say as well; do you enjoy what it sounds like? That's the important thing ;)
Old 07-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Higher purity nickel plating is slightly magnetic, & nickel is typically used as the substrate for chromium plating. Most commercially used nickel platings are non magnetic however.

Hit it with the peak of the blue flame on a blow torch. If it melts a huge hole in the snare shell, it's likely to be brass!