DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:43 AM

Default You know you are a drummer when...

I heard the word flammable and my mind did not immediately think "able to be lit on fire" or "combustible" but rather that a flam could be executed on it.

What are your examples?
Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: You know you are a drummer when...

When you buy a car based on how well your hardware case fits in it.

When a bunch of people are clapping, you try to do a polyrhythm against the guy clapping next you.

When you drum in your sleep.

When you spend your college days only eating only one can of beans per day, so you save up to buy a new cymbal.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
When a bunch of people are clapping, you try to do a polyrhythm against the guy clapping next you.
When people are clapping, I'm thinking of a rhythm I should be clapping, then play cross rhythms over that...
Old 02-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

I remember listening to the radio a while back with my dad. There was an ac/dc song playing. I go he's using 2oo2's right?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Gold Member

When you have told people Todd Rundgron wrote "that song" just for you.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:06 PM
TwoCables

If you air-drum while waiting for the microwave even if don't have any music playing, then you might be a drummer.

If you purposely use a much lower microwave "power" setting just so you have more time to air-drum, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum while sitting on the toilet - even long after you're finished, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum to the rhythm of a washer or dryer, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on nearby surfaces to the rhythm of the washer or dryer, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on the washer or dryer itself to its rhythm, then you might be a drummer.

If you feel rudely interrupted when the washer or dryer stops, then you might be a drummer.

And of course, if you air-drum to the rhythm of a dishwasher, then you might be a drummer.

If you always drum on the sink with your hands while waiting for the water to get hot, then you might be a drummer.

If you are in the middle of doing the dishes and you stop and drum on the sink (and counter tops) with your hands for 10 minutes, then you might be a drummer.

If, while waiting for your computer to do something, you start drumming on the desk or your keyboard tray (or both), then you might be a drummer.

If you're standing in front of your collection of DVD movies trying to decide which movie you want to watch only to end up air-drumming for 20 minutes instead of choosing a movie, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum with eating utensils, then you might be a drummer.

If you always try to walk in specific rhythms, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum on top of walking in a specific rhythm, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on your desk or keyboard tray while you're just sitting there thinking, then you might be a drummer.

If you walk up or down a flight of steps in a specific rhythm, then you might be a drummer.

If you accompany that rhythm with patterns on the railings, then you might be a drummer.

If you intentionally take the stairway instead of the elevator just so you can drum on the railings and listen to the awesome reverb and low-end, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on your steering wheel at every single red light, then you might be a drummer.

If, while you're on the phone, you always have a drumstick in your hand playing on various quiet surfaces, then you might be a drummer.

If you can't listen to classical music without air-drumming to it, then you might be a drummer.

If you can't focus on a conference call at work because you're too busy quietly playing to the rhythms of their speech, then you might be a drummer.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
If you air-drum while waiting for the microwave even if don't have any music playing, then you might be a drummer.

If you purposely use a much lower microwave "power" setting just so you have more time to air-drum, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum while sitting on the toilet - even long after you're finished, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum to the rhythm of a washer or dryer, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on nearby surfaces to the rhythm of the washer or dryer, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on the washer or dryer itself to its rhythm, then you might be a drummer.

If you feel rudely interrupted when the washer or dryer stops, then you might be a drummer.

And of course, if you air-drum to the rhythm of a dishwasher, then you might be a drummer.

If you always drum on the sink with your hands while waiting for the water to get hot, then you might be a drummer.

If you are in the middle of doing the dishes and you stop and drum on the sink (and counter tops) with your hands for 10 minutes, then you might be a drummer.

If, while waiting for your computer to do something, you start drumming on the desk or your keyboard tray (or both), then you might be a drummer.

If you're standing in front of your collection of DVD movies trying to decide which movie you want to watch only to end up air-drumming for 20 minutes instead of choosing a movie, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum with eating utensils, then you might be a drummer.

If you always try to walk in specific rhythms, then you might be a drummer.

If you air-drum on top of walking in a specific rhythm, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on your desk or keyboard tray while you're just sitting there thinking, then you might be a drummer.

If you walk up or down a flight of steps in a specific rhythm, then you might be a drummer.

If you accompany that rhythm with patterns on the railings, then you might be a drummer.

If you intentionally take the stairway instead of the elevator just so you can drum on the railings and listen to the awesome reverb and low-end, then you might be a drummer.

If you drum on your steering wheel at every single red light, then you might be a drummer.

If, while you're on the phone, you always have a drumstick in your hand playing on various quiet surfaces, then you might be a drummer.

If you can't listen to classical music without air-drumming to it, then you might be a drummer.

If you can't focus on a conference call at work because you're too busy quietly playing to the rhythms of their speech, then you might be a drummer.
This post could have been condensed to say "you air drum all the time" :)

I play the steering wheel all the time while driving (and switch to left handed playing so I can properly play the bass drum without constantly inadvertantly accelerating) and get annoyed when I have to turn during a fill.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:46 PM
TwoCables

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorditeBackBeat View Post
This post could have been condensed to say "you air drum all the time" :)
lol I kinda do. :)

Quote:
I play the steering wheel all the time while driving (and switch to left handed playing so I can properly play the bass drum without constantly inadvertantly accelerating) and get annoyed when I have to turn during a fill.
During a fill. hehe I like that because it's true for me too!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Guilty. The other day I packed up my set and had a tough time fitting all my cases into the bed of my truck. I didn't think that I should downsize, rather, that I should've gone with the regular cab with the extended bed.

Keep 'em coming, I'm laughing my butt off over here.

AJ
Old 02-17-2011, 03:51 PM
TwoCables

If you wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep because now you're drumming on your mattress while you're still laying in your preferred sleeping position, then you might be a drummer.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

When ....

... everyone is fussing over a transition and whether they should stick to the A or play a D passing chord and you're thinking, "Shut up and let's play already!".

... you're the first to turn up, the last to be ready and the last to carry your stuff out to the car.

... you hear the playback and realise there was actually music going on when you thought it was all just drums, drums and more drums.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:01 PM

You're supposed to be giving your significant other a back rub, but are really practicing your paradiddles.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Haha! I'm guilty of that to! The only time i get aggravated is when my steering gets out of line and i'm constantly haveing to grab the wheel to keep my truck straight on the road. That messes up my groove everytime! lol

I also find myself air drumming quiet a bit. Just the other day we were at church and i was air drumming. I didn't think anyone noticed until i looked over and seen two old ladies stareing at me like i had a medical condition or something. It was embaressing but i didn't mind. I almost asked them if they had any request!! lol
Old 02-17-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Love this one!! My sticks are with me at all times in the car and I hate rush hour traffic.. having to switch back and forth on the pedals screws up my tempo. I think I need to get my alignment checked because it's really annoying having to constantly correct my steering while working on rudiments. Also wish they could design the steering wheel differently so I can get a truer rebound. Wonder if I can turn a radar detector dash mount into a mount for a practice pad!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Rebel

...When you are counting - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - and then suddenly the band mates get ahead or behind the count. Drummers for sure know how to count!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 PM

I'm pretty sure I get terrible gas mileage because along with hand drumming on the steering wheel, I also use the gas pedal as a kick pedal, constantly trying to feather it on and off to keep my speed constant. It seems to help with finesse on my actual kick pedal as well!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
When people are clapping, I'm thinking of a rhythm I should be clapping, then play cross rhythms over that...
I always clap triplets or 3-2 clave over others clapping. It always puts someone off..
Old 02-17-2011, 05:02 PM

Oh... Its all about the off beat clapping! And I thought I was the only one to do this!

You know you are a drummer when.....You just can't stop tapping!

Sam
Old 02-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

hitting my thigh's with my hands while walking..........in rhythm of course....lol

my poor steering wheel.........ha ha

no matter what's on the tv if there's a drumset you got too check what kind of drums & cymbals they are.

anything that's around me suddenly turns into a drumset............ lmao

Bonzolead
Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
When ....

... everyone is fussing over a transition and whether they should stick to the A or play a D passing chord and you're thinking, "Shut up and let's play already!".

... you're the first to turn up, the last to be ready and the last to carry your stuff out to the car.

... you hear the playback and realise there was actually music going on when you thought it was all just drums, drums and more drums.
This is the true essence of being a drummer!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 PM

Again, with the steering wheel......being able to get one hell-a-va groove on with the tempo of your car's blinker at every turn.

Also, braking suddenly because you just need that quick closed hi-hat! (People behind you get a little pissed!)
Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

"Flam-able". i love it. i might recommend this 1-10 rating system to my drum maker buddy.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Guilty. The last 2 cars I've bought, I had to visualize whether or not a pair of timpani would fit in it. The last car I bought, we got for a good deal on craigslist, and I told my wife, "This seems to be a decent car, but you know that we're going to have to turn right around and sell it if my marimba doesn't fit in it." She nodded hesitantly, but knowingly. :D

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 02-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
I remember listening to the radio a while back with my dad. There was an ac/dc song playing. I go he's using 2oo2's right?
When you bother to use lower case o's instead of zeros so it looks like the logo.

On the car thing, I hit my left foot on the deadman pedal for kick patterns so much I'm thinking of setting up my kit left handed. I've almost gotten so used to "playing"'this way.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
On the car thing, I hit my left foot on the deadman pedal for kick patterns so much I'm thinking of setting up my kit left handed. I've almost gotten so used to "playing"'this way.
I'll tell you something funny about this...
I am left handed but learned to play a right handed set and I play open handed. I have tried to set up my kit left handed several times but it just felt weird, even though I play this way "in the car" all the time. I also found I can do many more things open handed such as incorporating toms into the groove that I can't cross handed. Go figure.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Don't forget using the clicking of the turn signal as a metronome. (So THAT's why you see so many people driving for miles with it on...)
Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 PM

The most important thing in ANY vehicle is whether the steering wheel has good tone in the various positions around the wheel. Particularly the 1 o'clock and 10 o'clock positions. The floor board sound is important as well.

The newer plastic steering wheels do not make a decent sounding car kit.

My Dodge truck with a rubber steering wheel cover produces a couple nice tones. My Prius sucks. I have to move the right hand over to the center console to get a decent sound. :)
Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post

My Dodge truck with a rubber steering wheel cover produces a couple nice tones. My Prius sucks. I have to move the right hand over to the center console to get a decent sound. :)
Oh man, I ruined the center console on my first car doing that. I learned the hard way the steering wheel is the only way to go in a car.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

You know you are a drummer when...

Your idea of watching TV involves a practice pad and a pair of sticks.

Last edited by DrumEatDrum; 02-17-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
Again, with the steering wheel......being able to get one hell-a-va groove on with the tempo of your car's blinker at every turn.

Also, braking suddenly because you just need that quick closed hi-hat! (People behind you get a little pissed!)
Haha. My gas/brake always serve as my drum pedals. When I start driving a stick shift, I'll destroy my transmission playing the with the clutch. :)

Good answers though. Pretty funny so far.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

You're automatically excluded from "what key should we do this in" discussions.
All eyes look at you when taking up stage space is mentioned.
The sound guy fails to ask you what kind of FOH sound you want.
The sound guy doesn't believe you need any level in the monitors.
The sound guy asks you why you don't have a hole in your kick reso head.
You confuse the sound guy by asking for overheads rather than close mic everything.
The venue manager looks at you & assumes the band will be too loud.
You have to order things in component form to sneak purchaces past the wife.
You're sighted as the main cause of a drop in local property values.
You're the butt of most of the "musos are stupid" jokes.
Everyone assumes you're broke.
You're broke.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
You have to order things in component form to sneak purchaces past the wife.

That applies to ALL of our hobbies.

I told my wife a few minutes ago that I was leaving in awhile to go look at a drumset from Craigslist.

She looked at me like I was speaking swahili. "You just sold a kit, you have a kit now, WTF are you going to look at another one for?" "Are you gonna buy it?" "Maybe" "SERIOUSLY?!?"
Old 02-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Everyone assumes you're broke.
You're broke.
I'm lucky if I'm not in debt. Funny though...
Old 02-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

You have a practice pad in every room of your house.
You're real close to perfecting the car drum kit.
You have a bass drum pedal under your desk at work (i really do!)
Five minutes won't go by without your wife saying: "STOP TAPPING!"
Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
You have a bass drum pedal under your desk at work (i really do!)
I'm definitely going to do this, great idea.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Many of these resonate with me, especially when it comes to driving in the car, where I'm better off alone because I drive everyone crazy when I wack the steering wheel.

I've also mildly sprained my wrist because I over-exerted myself while air drumming to a Led Zeppelin concert video.

When nothing is available to drum with, or my hands are being used to type or something else, my mouth fills in for the drums. It's amazing how many different sounds you can get out of your mouth. Now at least I know which sounds represent the bass, hi-hat, crash, snare, etc., but I'm sure if anyone heard me they would think it sounds like I'm just frothing at the mouth or have terretts syndrome.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaymus View Post
I'm definitely going to do this, great idea.
Chay, this works well for me. I'm fairly isolated from my co-workers.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 AM

When you almost failed an English report for using the word cymbal and not symbol.
When you download the free I-pod/I-Phone drum application.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:46 AM

That is awesome Muckster! I wish I could get away with that. As it is, I'm surprised no one has said anything about the tapping coming from my cube.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Don't forget using the clicking of the turn signal as a metronome.
Yes. Jamming with the blinker is my favourite way of passing time at traffic lights (even if it's a bit, well, Meg-ish :) ... but only when I'm waiting to turn a corner!