DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

Default What do you think of this Drummer / Band

Be really interested in any feedback / thoughts on this band and the drummer, it's not me I hasten to add.
I don't think I've ever seen any drummer quite so layed back and effortless

http://www.youtube.com/tilduskuk

Any comments / feedback much appreciated as always
Old 01-29-2011, 02:24 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: What do you think of this Drummer / Band

Any takers / comments ????
Old 01-29-2011, 03:13 AM
Gold Member

Very cool stuff.
That is technique and control. Great use off short controlled moeller. Ever see Neil Peart play? He hardly moves man, he's like a machine.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:16 AM
Gold Member

Frankly I can see why comments are flowing in like a storm, there is nothing extraordinary about the drummer or the band...they are good, but not fantastic. As for being so laid back and effortless I think the kid could use a degree of showmanship and get into his playing some more, but he is probably so focused in on keeping time that he cannot relax enough to do nothing but be mechanical...to me I did not see effortless, but a mechanical drone keeping some decent time who can do nothing more but become relaxed in the future.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:03 AM
Silver Member

Great song, great drumming. Solid. You have fallen in love with the drum groove. This band has obviously played this song a FEW times and are very tight. Bass and Drums rule the band. Guitars, keys, and vocals play over that. Drummers rule all.

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 01-29-2011, 04:07 AM
Crazy8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings View Post
I don't think I've ever seen any drummer quite so layed back and effortless
He is putting himself to sleep by playing unemotional knock-off music.

My .02...
Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

I think some of you are being a little harsh here. Ok, it's pretty benign pop/rock, sort of like a cheezy Gino Vannelli, but the band is tight, & they can all play well. He's a young drummer with good skills, good tight groove, good time, & a few nice licks. Certainly better than many I've seen. The whole band lacks a performance edge, & that's certainly reflected in the drummer's demeanor. More grit needed.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:05 AM

This is really tight and has a very nice relaxed feel to it. I really liked it! The feel is in the grooving not the moving. Do not pay attention to the bs that some are writing in their replies to you post.They are just bummed out because you are such a better drummer than they are.

FP

Last edited by Mr. Fanzy Pants; 01-29-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:30 AM

The drums are good, and serve the song by keeping time. I don't really like the song but that's just personal taste
Old 01-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fanzy Pants View Post
This is really tight and has a very nice relaxed feel to it. I really liked it! The feel is in the grooving not the moving. Do not pay attention to the bs that some are writing in their replies to you post.They are just bummed out because you are such a better drummer than they are.

FP
Thanks to everyone for your comments, I did mention when I posted it's not actually me playing drums.

I know the keyboard player and he sometimes comes and jams with one of the bands I'm in and often see him at open mic nights.
I saw the link and my own personal feeling on it was a bunch of great musicians who are extremelly well practiced and very tight. Personally I like the drummer because he is so tight although you almost feel he maybe underplays a little especailly as he does seem to have some quite nice chops available for him to use.
If I were looking to criticise I'm with some of the other comments, the song's OK but couldn't be described as a GREAT song although they do give it a nice feel !
The one other thing if you look at most successful bands there's at least one person who "puts on a show" (Freddie, Robbie) and nobody is here, they just seem to come and play very well rehearsed and executed songs in a slightly mechanical way.

Give them a good song and the front man a big bag of phamaceuticals :-) and they could be on their way.

Thanks again to everybody for the input !!!

Last edited by Witterings; 01-29-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Because I can't spell :-)
Old 01-29-2011, 02:03 PM

The band sounds really tight, so that's good. The drummer does an good job with keeping time, but he does things a bit too relaxt. Almost as if he's bored with drumming...

My (Dutch) Blog!
Old 01-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I have no problem with the drummer being laid back. I rather be able to listen to the band and enjoy the music while the drummer kept time, which is his job, than watch some flashy guy in a brightly colored suit flying around. The band and the music were good and the audience liked them. Seems to me that that is the goal.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

I thought the bad wasn't bad. A bit generic, but not bad.

The drummer was tasteful, player good parts for the songs.

I do agree he looked bored out his mind. And no one wants to pay money to see a band look bored.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:38 PM

When I think of "laid back" one name comes to mind Ron Perrone jr. his old band "The Dempseys" broke up about a year ago but for 15 years he was the cool one behind the crazy antics of Brad on guitar and "Slick" Joe Fick on bass ...

listen to what he is still playing as he goes to one hand and picks up an egg shaker in this video ... his picture is on the wall right at the front door of Memphis Drum Shop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBSF8...eature=related

Old 01-30-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I have no problem with the drummer being laid back. I rather be able to listen to the band and enjoy the music while the drummer kept time, which is his job, than watch some flashy guy in a brightly colored suit flying around. The band and the music were good and the audience liked them. Seems to me that that is the goal.
There is a difference between laid back and looking bored. This guy just looked plain bored. He just played TOO tight, almost stiff. He certainly needs to loosen up a little.

Actually, the entire performance was too tight, as a band I think they all need to loosen up.

My (Dutch) Blog!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:12 PM

I think the drummer does a great job on the song. The band sounded great and was really tight. Good chorus. I don't think the drummer is underplaying. Just because you have great chops doesn't mean you need to show them off all the time. The most important thing (at least in pop/rock music) is playing the SONG, not the drums. Lots of drummers forget this, especially younger drummers. I think what he played was just right for the song.

As far as looking bored, I think the entire band need to work on their stage presence. They need more energy on stage. Hopefully, that will come with time.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

I don't understand the negative feedback at all, but everyone has a different opinion. The band is excellent, and I like the music. They are sufficiently animated for this type of music - this is not head-banging music where the band should be jumping up and down. I like the drummer's style and there is nothing wrong with being understated. He didn't look stiff to me. Perhaps his face doesn't show much, but I'm sure mine doesn't either. I don't smile, laugh, or rock my head back and forth while playing (for the most part).

They have a very clean, synth-driven sound, and the vocals are excellent. Reminds me of some of the 80's bands, actually. I'd go see these guys play.

Did anyone notice the southpaw bass player?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 PM

I come from a pretty diverse background, and I really like the way the drummer plays.

He could hang with the best of them.

I really love his snare sound.

I don't know why Bill Bruford comes immediately to mind. He also has a Pearty kinda sound from the Hold Your Fire Album, which I love.

This isn't my type of music, but I also think the band is great as well.

Last edited by rastaron; 01-31-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: wrote "him" when I meant "them"
Old 01-31-2011, 11:57 PM
Gold Member

Personally I wouldn't say he's laid back, to me he actually looks quite stiff, tense and bored.

The band's alright, nothing new but they're still better than a lot of what's out there.

My overall reaction is meh.

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio