DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-03-2011, 10:05 AM
1Rhythmic's Avatar
1Rhythmic 1Rhythmic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Inside the Bass drum
Posts: 32
Default Design Bassy Cymbals

Yo!!

All Science(wannabe)drummers , gather up and lets find a way to design the first
Bass Cymbal!!

As a proof , to those who say that drummers are low-IQ , we shall prove that our heads are not only BOOM , but also "tsk tsk taka taka boom tsiki boom''... in common language...smartasses!!!

Let us begin!!
How to eliminate overtones , highs and mid-highs of a cymbal and make it produce low-end bassy sound?

I was thinking of using rubber instead of metal to create the cymbal and then cover all it's surface both up and down with cotton.

Any other ideas? Quick , i heard the guitarists are designing a new generation string instrument with no strings!!

P.S.
Boom Boom laka laka laka Boom
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-03-2011, 11:21 AM
evolving_machine's Avatar
evolving_machine evolving_machine is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Jersey.
Posts: 657
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

I am assuming that you are looking for an acoustic instrument and not an electric one that produces tones in the bass frequencies, that is as small as a cymbal and is hit with a stick, mallet, or brush?
__________________
I am not here just to keep the beat; I add color, timbre, and presence.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-03-2011, 11:36 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rhythmic View Post
Yo!!

All Science(wannabe)drummers , gather up and lets find a way to design the first
Bass Cymbal!!

As a proof , to those who say that drummers are low-IQ , we shall prove that our heads are not only BOOM , but also "tsk tsk taka taka boom tsiki boom''... in common language...smartasses!!!

Let us begin!!
How to eliminate overtones , highs and mid-highs of a cymbal and make it produce low-end bassy sound?

I was thinking of using rubber instead of metal to create the cymbal and then cover all it's surface both up and down with cotton.

Any other ideas? Quick , i heard the guitarists are designing a new generation string instrument with no strings!!

P.S.
Boom Boom laka laka laka Boom
I'm completely lost here. Apart from the fact your rubber cymbal idea wouldn't even produce a worthwhile sound acoustically, are you feeling ok today? If you want a really low cymbal with few upper mid & high frequencies, buy a 60" gong & a heavy felt mallet!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Andy's right. It's already been done ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0sWrqB2yTI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl46w3hN4J0
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.

Last edited by Pollyanna; 01-03-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Apart from the fact your rubber cymbal idea wouldn't even produce a worthwhile sound acoustically.................

.......... buy a 60" gong & a heavy felt mallet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Andy's right. It's already been done ...
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.

Anyone care to reinvent the wheel? :-)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 3,235
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.

Anyone care to reinvent the wheel? :-)
Yep and they already have rubber cymbals on e-kits and the whole idea is they make no sound.
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-03-2011, 04:50 PM
1Rhythmic's Avatar
1Rhythmic 1Rhythmic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Inside the Bass drum
Posts: 32
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Come on guys , i was just joking , humor!!!

Its just crazy , someone asking for cymbals to produce bass sound , while made of rubber and cotton!!! hahahaha

However... if you have any nice ideas of how to achieve that... share with us and we might come up with the invention of the year!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-03-2011, 04:55 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rhythmic View Post
Come on guys , i was just joking , humor!!!

Its just crazy , someone asking for cymbals to produce bass sound , while made of rubber and cotton!!! hahahaha

However... if you have any nice ideas of how to achieve that... share with us and we might come up with the invention of the year!!
Ok, it was a joke. Yes, I have a sense of humor, but it wouldn't be the first time someone's posted a similar question & been serious about it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2011, 05:01 PM
1Rhythmic's Avatar
1Rhythmic 1Rhythmic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Inside the Bass drum
Posts: 32
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Quote:
but it wouldn't be the first time someone's posted a similar question & been serious about it
Hahahahaha , i would like to see that!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Aeolian's Avatar
Aeolian Aeolian is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Cruz CA
Posts: 2,013
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Actually, put your ear close to a heavy 22 ride and you'd be amazed at the low end coming off of it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rhythmic View Post
Come on guys , i was just joking , humor!!!

Its just crazy , someone asking for cymbals to produce bass sound , while made of rubber and cotton!!! hahahaha
Rhythmic, this forum is full of musicians and anyone who's spent any length of time with musicians is not going to raise their eyebrows at any level of craziness.

Speaking for myself, I don't know you, so I wasn't to know that you hadn't just knocked off half a bottle of Jack Daniels and a few cones and come up with a hare-brained idea off the top of your head ... you wouldn't be the first :)

You have to admit the giant gong in the second vid link is pretty damn cool!

I love the dark, trashy tones that come from a crashed ride cymbal.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rhythmic View Post
Come on guys , i was just joking , humor!!!
The sheer hilarity.

Joking hey?.....hmmmm.....You sure mate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rhythmic View Post
However... if you have any nice ideas of how to achieve that... share with us and we might come up with the invention of the year!!
Are you joking again now?

FWIW, I think Polly may be on to something. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 AM
1Rhythmic's Avatar
1Rhythmic 1Rhythmic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Inside the Bass drum
Posts: 32
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Alright , my apologies for opening this thread.

I've been reading this forum quite a long time and i should have known that humour is not approved by the community of Drummerworld.

That's ok with me , we should be serious on what we are doing.

I would request from the Administrators to lock / delete this thread , since it failed to offer what it was supposed to offer.

I would also kindly request from the Administration , that they mention on Forum Rules that any threads aiming only for 1)Joke 2)Humour 3)Fun area are opened with caution by the writer since time has proved that such type of threads are not widely accepted by the Drummerworld Community.

I believe that would prevent this happening again and will keep safe other members from falling into a such difficult position like i find myself in.

I assure you that if i have known i would not proceed to opening this thread.
Again i kindly ask you to accept my apologies.

Thank you :D
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 AM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,363
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

There are no rules against humor or I wouldn't be here. But a joke is only funny when others find it funny. You can't make people laugh. Since there is no vocal inflection with typing words, the humor is sometimes lost in the moment. I think your joke became a joke when the seriousness intended was met with confusion and wtf.
Don't be afraid to use humor but don't be offended when the humor fails. It happens to all of us. Take a deep breath and try again later.
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-04-2011, 01:20 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rhythmic View Post
Again i kindly ask you to accept my apologies.

Thank you :D
No need to apologise mate. No one was offended.....it's just that jokes are meant to be funny........this one got totally lost in translation I think.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Don't be afraid to use humor but don't be offended when the humor fails. It happens to all of us. Take a deep breath and try again later.
I think The Mayor has put it into perspective spendidly.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Don't be afraid to use humor but don't be offended when the humor fails. It happens to all of us. Take a deep breath and try again later.
Yep, I see no reason the delete the thread. It is what it is. Dorkiness is not illegal or I'd be behind bars :)

Personally, I'd never thought of cymbals in those terms - bass, baritone, treble, alto, soprano so I'm glad the thread was started.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Yeah, humor is a very good thing, & totally welcome here. Gruntersdad put it perfectly.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-04-2011, 04:40 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,125
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rhythmic View Post
P.S. Boom Boom laka laka laka Boom
And a Boom Boom aka laka Boom Boom to you!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
broken_symlink broken_symlink is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 94
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I don't think the guy in the first video played the gong properly. Aren't supposed to prime the gong before hitting it? Basically what I was taught was that you do what the guy in the second video does, you get the gong vibrating a little like that and then you hit it like the guy in the first video does.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM
jer jer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 634
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

There really is a need for a sarcasm font.

Chin up, Rhythmic. You posted and I saw a wicked gong vid I've never seen before - thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Aeolian's Avatar
Aeolian Aeolian is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Cruz CA
Posts: 2,013
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

When I was learning to ski someone told me "If you don't fall down once in awhile, you're not trying hard enough".

There are many types of humor. Different humor appeals to different people. I tend to like clever, witty, and sometimes sarcastic humor. Others go for slapstick or the obvious protracted set up of a Jackie Gleason.

Then theres the more modern, you probably should be loaded to get it, run a joke into the ground humor typified by Saturday Night Live or Dave Chappel. And these days the kids are into "random" humor. Trey Parker through the "huh" things people post on YouTube.

I note that there aren't smilies on this forum. But you can always tag the end of a post with old fashioned text smilies. <:-)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
And a Boom Boom aka laka Boom Boom to you!
I often walk myself!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-05-2011, 02:06 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Design Bassy Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
When I was learning to ski someone told me "If you don't fall down once in awhile, you're not trying hard enough".

There are many types of humor. Different humor appeals to different people. I tend to like clever, witty, and sometimes sarcastic humor. Others go for slapstick or the obvious protracted set up of a Jackie Gleason.

Then theres the more modern, you probably should be loaded to get it, run a joke into the ground humor typified by Saturday Night Live or Dave Chappel. And these days the kids are into "random" humor. Trey Parker through the "huh" things people post on YouTube.

I note that there aren't smilies on this forum. But you can always tag the end of a post with old fashioned text smilies. <:-)
Or a mix of a whole bunch of things ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlmH5lCh8vs
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com