DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 04-07-2010, 09:39 PM

Default how to get the crispiest snare sound

I have been having problems getting my snare to sound "tight" or "crisp" enough. i have a moon-gel thing on it, which of course stops the ringing, but i want it to just sound more crisp in general. i have pulled the chain as tight as it will go, and tried to tune it the best i can. does anyone have any helpful ideas/advice?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: how to get the crispiest snare sound

Try a head with a very defined attack? Like the Evans HD (or HD dry).
Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 PM
TFITTING942

Also, make sure the bottom head is real tight. Some snares just won't soud a certain way though. What make and size is it?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 PM

Different snare has different sonic potential.

Also don't forget room you are playing in. Sound might bounce back from walls or room might be 'dead'. It all might help or hinder the potential of snare sound you want.

And snares often are aggressively processed in many of today's recordings; acoustic drums can't sound exactly like that.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 PM

ahh i see, thank you for the help. its a mapex, im lookin for a tape measure i dont know how big it is... im gonna tighten everything up now though, its needed it for a while anyway, now that i actually think about it...
Old 04-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Yo! i would suggest looking at your snare drum as a tom first, so snares off first!(or loosen your strainer then put a stick underneath your snares when tuning in the reso side.)starting with the resonant side, make all your rods reletively tight ( luckily mapex has proper construction but please don`t try this on a Ddrum diablo series snare drum,lol!TRUST ME lol ), remember whilst tightening up to allow it to "sing" and not choking her is key! Make sure the snares are in the center of the shell,equal distance side to side :) . Step 2: Go to your local music store(if bottle stores are nearby,don`t forget to stop by to get a six pack :) ) and like Fuo said earlier; get a Evans HD Dry coated drum head cos its probably the "crispiest" head around!
Its so much more easier to tune in your batter if you`re resonant is in!
So, pull up your strainer and start tightening up your rods going across from rod to rod and listen for the crispiness to come upon thee...:)
Old 04-11-2010, 03:06 PM

Also, tune the reso head really tight and then loosen the four screws next to the wires just a tiny bit. Less ring, more crack. Make sure you do not over-tune the batter head, because if its too high your snare will go 'pop' instead of 'crack'. I like that sound, I find it useful, but its not what you're looking for.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:46 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I echo what the general consensus is, tighten everything up to right before choking.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 AM

I reckon it really depends on the size of your drum as to how it will react to tuning. Agree totally with keeping the reso head really tight as that aids in snare response. I use (most of the time) a cheap mapex 12"/7" snare with a remo coated pinstripe. I have to say I really like using gaffa tape and even cloth if I've got it tuned really low to dampen. Only as find that no ring at all helps me in most rooms. My 14"/7" Yamaha Oak Custom just doesn't respond as well to tuning like the 12". I just did a few videos on thedrumchannel.org using the mapex if you're keen. A
Old 04-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxyjoe View Post
I have been having problems getting my snare to sound "tight" or "crisp" enough. i have a moon-gel thing on it, which of course stops the ringing, but i want it to just sound more crisp in general. i have pulled the chain as tight as it will go, and tried to tune it the best i can. does anyone have any helpful ideas/advice?
Tight and crisp sounds on a snare are a relatively new thing. Years ago, marching drummers would tune their drums up high, and break heads. So someone started making drum heads out of kevlar, and marching drummers didn't break heads anymore, but they did break lugs, and sometimes even buckled the shell itself! So drum companies started making snares with what's now known as a "free-floating" system, where the lugs don't attach to the shell, but to a hoop along the bottom edge. These drums can support a high-tension kevlar head, and usually their components are made from stronger materials.

IIRC, Pearl was first in bringing the free-floating design to a "drumset" snare. IMO, claims of increased resonance and tone are just marketing hype. A free-floating drum should be able to support higher tunings, but I'm not sure it's even possible to tune so high with a regular drum head, lest it break.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

You'll need a metal snare with die-cast hoops, a wide snare mat, a CS type batter head and a fairly tight tuning.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Dont add milk! Milk will make you snare soggy.

Its not good for you, or your snare.

PS-Ya, I'd agree tighten the sucker up even on all sides, but stop short of strangulation.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Pearl free floating piccolo with the correct 16" snare wires, coated reverse dot batter, hazy 300 reso, 4 screws either side of the wires tuned down by 1/2 a turn, batter 1 full turn under total choke, reso 1/2 octave below batter, cast hoops. It doesn't get crisper or louder than that. I like to rim shot a lot so a coated reverse dot gives me focussed attack in the middle plus a nice ring to the outside. If you like a snare with no ring at all, Evans Genera HD dry will do the trick. Get rid of the moongel.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascul View Post
Also, tune the reso head really tight and then loosen the four screws next to the wires just a tiny bit. Less ring, more crack. Make sure you do not over-tune the batter head, because if its too high your snare will go 'pop' instead of 'crack'. I like that sound, I find it useful, but its not what you're looking for.
this is good advice, and you won't have to buy anything new before you try it. I've got a good 'crack' sound out of some snare drums which I really hated the sound of before. Although sometimes if you try this and your resonant head is a cheap stock head it can sometimes snap. so be careful.

I like to have the resonant head nice and tight, then loosen the two lugs either side of the snare wire about half a turn, and then do this for the other end (the two lugs either side of the other end of the wire). Sometimes i loosen the 2 lugs either side of the ones i just loosened about a quarter of a turn if the two on their own havent done the job. (so it's the 4 either side of each end of the wire)

Just make sure if you do the same thing to both sides, so the tuning is symmetrical. Also if you're going to change the head I find using an evans power centre reverse dot head usually works well. But you might want to speak to someone at a shop who can help you get the right head for what you want.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
Tight and crisp sounds on a snare are a relatively new thing. Years ago, marching drummers would tune their drums up high, and break heads. So someone started making drum heads out of kevlar, and marching drummers didn't break heads anymore, but they did break lugs, and sometimes even buckled the shell itself! So drum companies started making snares with what's now known as a "free-floating" system, where the lugs don't attach to the shell, but to a hoop along the bottom edge. These drums can support a high-tension kevlar head, and usually their components are made from stronger materials.

IIRC, Pearl was first in bringing the free-floating design to a "drumset" snare. IMO, claims of increased resonance and tone are just marketing hype. A free-floating drum should be able to support higher tunings, but I'm not sure it's even possible to tune so high with a regular drum head, lest it break.
Talk about loud crack, these babies sing. 8x14 Pearl Free- Float W/Falams II marching heads in Smooth White. Had this snare for over 20 years. If you look at the last picture you can see the top layer coming off. That happened 5 years ago and they still sound great. The best combination IMO.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:27 PM

Nice snare Dreaded Skull,sexy shit. Lol at my previous post with exclamation marks,goddamn alcohol:) So i tried out the loosening of the rods and it works like a charm!! My snare still held my intended tone but less the buzz and crispier! shot dudes