DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:58 AM

Default Out of round steel shell snare - trash?

Hi everyone.
Attached are some pictures of my vintage Pearl Professional Series M-514D steel shell snare drum, which I bought new way back when.
But the shell (and the original hoops) is out of round by less than a quarter of an inch in places, on both top and bottom.
That happened, I think, over the years when I was a tuning dummy and didn't know what I was doing.
That's the only thing I can think of, because it's never been dropped or otherwise damaged in any way.
The pics show the drum with generic hoops on it and without all the hardware because I'm trying to bend it back into shape under tension - but I'm not going to wait forever.
My question to you guys is: Is it worth pursuing the issue with a professional repairer, or just trash the thing?
I'd love to keep playing it using the original hoops because it's - or used to be - a great drum.
Thanx and regards,

scoopyx.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2010, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Out of round steel shell snare - trash?

Actually, I've found a professional repairer here in Oz who says it can be salvaged.
I'll probably give that a go.

scoopyx.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:22 AM
Administrator - Mayor

If tuning caused the warping my guess would be that the hoops were bent and they bent the drum. which is stronger? The generic hoops or the shell? I ask because will hoops of inferior strength actually reshape the shell? Is the shell out of round on the top and bottom at the same place, like an egg, or in different spots on the shell. If it is in the same spot you may be able to pull it back in shape by hand. I know I asked a lot of questions but just trying to get everyone thinking. Thinking of ways to put it back round. You should be able to lean on the bent hoops and get them round but the shell make take some time.
You may be able to cut a splint of wooden rod and wedge it into the shell at the narrow spot and push the closer sides to spread a bit.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopyx View Post
My question to you guys is: Is it worth pursuing the issue with a professional repairer, or just trash the thing?
Weigh up the cost of the repairs vs the cost of a similar model new (or even second hand for that matter)
Old 04-01-2010, 03:31 AM
Platinum Member

Its rare for a metal drum to loose its shape without being subjected to a force that would have caused it. I can't see how poor tuning would have done it.
As long as there are no kinks and the bend is rounded it won't be hard to put back into shape.
Simply remove the hoops and use a new head that is round as a guide. Apply pressure to the drum shell until the new head fits true. Do the same with the hoops. Fit them to the head and flex them back into round with hand force.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 04-01-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:46 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Really the head would give before the shell. Less than a quarter inch isn't too bad, with a little creativity, it should be able to be manipulated back to round I would think.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:22 AM

Well I'm not game to DIY.
I don't want to make it worse.
And as I said earlier, there's a bloke I've found who says he can do it for me.
I think I'll leave it to him.
Thanks for all the contributions - I've bookmarked this thread for future reference.
I'm desperately wanting a Ludwig Supraphonic (probably the 400), you see, and it'll only come from the USA I reckon. And if it is or goes out of round, I'll be coming back here to have a look.
:-)
Regards,

scoopyx.