DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:02 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default When you're on DW.....

Where are you? At work? Home? I really feel like I have actual friends here and I wanted to try and picture where everybody gets their DW fix. Give me some details about what's around you when you are here. I also want to know what sound system you use for your computer, ie laptop speakers or seperate audio stuff

Me, I'm at home in my kitchen, at my rectangular maple kitchen table, on my laptop. To my back is a sliding door that leads to my deck and backyard, lotsa trees, lotsa nature, to my front is a window that looks onto my cul de sac street. I just use the laptop speakers.
What about you? Give me some visuals!
Old 03-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: When you're on DW.....

I'm usually in my music room where my little studio is, which is the lowest room in my house. It takes up the entire floor. But this has been a really cold winter and that room gets very cold, so I've brought my MacBook up to the kitchen/dining room part of the house where it's much warmer.

So I've got my computer up on the counter that divides the kitchen and the dining area. I sit on a bar-type stool, it's like sitting at a bar with your computer there. It's a large room with just this counter running down the middle of it. Our only television is in here and the cats all hang out here so they're always running about. It's quite cozy. I quite like it, actually. But when the weather gets warm I'll be back in my music room. That's where all my stuff is, you know.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

Its always on my Macbook pro and mostly at airports, hotels, and my bedroom. I always carry my Bose headphones in my laptop bag, so if there are clips I want to check out, I get great sound.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member

On my PC in my living room (don't like laptops). I can turn around and look out the window at a short brick wall and the block of flats next door.The only green to be seen through there is the heritage green of next door's window sills.

Directly behind my PC chair is one of Wy's djembes in its bag - he's storing it here till he makes more room at his place that is so full of drum stuff that you can barely move after issues with the shop he was teaching at that resulted in him having to move his gear out of storage.

I have two practice pads on top of the djembe, one of which is raised on top of a 1200-page Thomas Covenant book and acts as "hi hat". There's a small kick drum pad to its right. That way I can swing my chair around and have a play.

J, I'd love to have a music room like yours *sigh*
Old 03-06-2010, 05:04 AM
Administrator - Mayor

My iMac in my TV, music, drum room. My laptop if I'm in the bedroom. My iPhone at times, and my PC at work when I can get away with it.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:11 AM

On the couch, legs on the coffee table, game on, fireplace blazing, looking out at the farm field across the street....
Old 03-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Platinum Member

My wife and I both have (almost matching) Ikea Jerker computer tables located in our "computer room", located upstairs. We both have Dell 530 PC's and Samsung SyncMaster 923nw monitors. "Computer room" might be a bit of a misnomer, it's the "junk room", where all the flotsam and jetsam of the house winds up. Overcrowded with boxes, and furniture, and........stuff!!!
Around the corner is my drum room, 12x10. Music might come out of 1 of 2 stereo's in the drum room, or more often, I play CD's in my PC. 2 JBL's flank my monitor.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Platinum Member

Backside slumped comfortably into my favourite couch with my lap top on my knee, when I'm at home Larry. I'm in a position where I can be logged on at work too. I just come and go throughout the day as the opportunity presents itself. My job entails I work in an office during the day and then work from home into the night........I rely on the computer for all this so needless to say, I hang around here a bit.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:05 AM
Jeff Gordon #24

I'm at home when I'm on DW. Don't feel right to get on DW at work. I'm really enjoying my first week or so on here...but it ain't worth losin' my job being on a "non-work-related" website. Nothing personal folks, it's just the way it has to be.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:13 AM

Honestly, in my office at work! Simply because when I'm not there, I'm on the drums! ;>)
It sucks because I'm constantly looking over my shoulder to make sure that one of the 25 people that I supervise don't see me (on DW)!
However, this post that I'm responding to is from my bedroom which has no real sights to the outside environment- only a great view of my e-kit (which is also in my bedroom)!
Old 03-06-2010, 06:14 AM

I bet I'm posting from the most interesting spot as of yet, hehe.

I'm in a bondage room surrounded by sex toys and a drum kit. I'm laying on the floor in a makeshift bed with my laptop in front of me. The room is about 12x12, painted red with black accents. There is a cage built into the wall in front of me, 3 shelves about 5 feet high are to the left of that, the door is to my right and my kit is to my left, taking half the floor space. There are also four chain mounted on a beam in the ceiling directly above where I'm laying, two by my head and two by my feet.

I live with a lesbian couple whom I've known for a while and we share a house, one bedroom has been converted into a dungeon/drum room and it happens that we ran out of oil for the furnace so it's super cold downstairs where my bedroom is located. We do have electric heat upstairs where the dungeon is so I'm sleeping here until we deal with the oil situation (an ongoing thing, the furnace is screwed).
Old 03-06-2010, 06:17 AM

Why is it I suddenly envy Nickropolis?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Jeff Gordon #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickropolis View Post
I bet I'm posting from the most interesting spot as of yet, hehe.

I'm in a bondage room surrounded by sex toys and a drum kit. I'm laying on the floor in a makeshift bed with my laptop in front of me. The room is about 12x12, painted red with black accents. There is a cage built into the wall in front of me, 3 shelves about 5 feet high are to the left of that, the door is to my right and my kit is to my left, taking half the floor space. There are also four chain mounted on a beam in the ceiling directly above where I'm laying, two by my head and two by my feet.

I live with a lesbian couple whom I've known for a while and we share a house, one bedroom has been converted into a dungeon/drum room and it happens that we ran out of oil for the furnace so it's super cold downstairs where my bedroom is located. We do have electric heat upstairs where the dungeon is so I'm sleeping here until we deal with the oil situation (an ongoing thing, the furnace is screwed).
Wow!! Do I live a dull life...OR WHAT?

Uhhh...I don't know what else to say here. Hmm.....ok?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

Nickropolis, the lesbians I know are nhowhere near as, um, exotic as your housemates. The cool thing is you can set your kit up in the dungeon. If they've been bad girls you can play solos at them for hours on end :)

Noooo!!! NOT the triplets again ... ARRGGGHHH!!!! ... wow, that felt sooo good *sigh*

I also hop on here at work, but nowhere near as much as I do at home. I keep telling myself that I'll get myself a life this year ...
Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 AM

Is it crude to ask for pictures?.....you know of the room....or maybe the lesbians.....or maybe the lesbians in the room....whatever
Old 03-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member

If I'm on DW, it's generally because I'm avoiding being useful in real life.

I have a laptop and wireless router, so I might be posting from anywhere in my house, and occasionally from the back yard.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Silver Member

Noooo!!! NOT the triplets again ... ARRGGGHHH!!!! ... wow, that felt sooo good *sigh*
Don't even get me started on the diddle rudiments
Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 AM

My daily routine.....get-up 8am-ish (work in restaurant....late nights). Dogs (2 labs) out, and fed. Make coffee, flip-on the computer (hotmail....msn....then DW for a solid hour, more if Bernie's updated the vid's section). I'm in the kitchen nook, back to the backyard.....connecting to a large horse property, lots of space, a creek, and many old mine-shafts (I live in Nor Cal gold country).....dogs are in heaven. I use a cheapy Altec speakers, with bass on the floor. It actually sounds really good. I'd highly suggest it to anyone...think I paid 99 bucks for the system.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

I'm usually on at home with the Macbook, on the couch. Right now, I'm on a mini-tour, so I'm using my phone.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 03-06-2010, 10:45 AM

Usually on my Macbook air somewhere on the road, or on the couch at home. But if not, as at the mo, a quick check on DW on my wife's iMac in our kitchen on the breakfast bar - Max, our little boy eyeing me suspiciously from his high-chair....
Old 03-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Silver Member

I always use my laptop, mostly with red stockings and suspeneders, with two shells pressed against my ears.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Big_Philly

Usually at home at my desk. I rent a single room that accomodates my bed, desk, drumkit and a couch - basically all I need for myself and one or two visitors. I share a kitchen and bathroom with 3 others. All because I am still studying at university... but I am getting more and more anxious to finish up the study programme, get a job, make some money and get a place of my own. I'm tired of having to wrestle through empty pizza boxes when I come home.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon e rotten View Post
Is it crude to ask for pictures?.....you know of the room....or maybe the lesbians.....or maybe the lesbians in the room....whatever
No, that's not crude, it's mandatory!!!

I'm afraid my location is very boring by comparison to the dungeon. Damn that sounds great!

I'm in a loft room above my garage. I use this room as my works office and drum room. Currently two kits set up in here so easy to go and knock out a groove or two if I have a few minutes spare in the day. Looking out of my window, I see the Golden Valley unfold in front of me and "Cedric", the 30ft high dragon carving in front of my house.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:37 PM

Pics from the cell

Shelves

Cage (there's a sawhorse in it right now for storage)

Door

Ceiling

I'm lucky in the respect that both of them are very musically inclined. One went through a local university in percussion and taught marching band to cadets, the other is an accomplished jazz sax player and can improvise like crazy, so it's not often I have a question that doesn't get answered.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:44 PM
"Uncle Larry"

This is great. Thanks everyone for chipping in, and a SPECIAL thanks to Nickropolis.
Next we need pics of lesbian roommates in the shackles, or other amusing restraint devices. You still have the best post, but pictures are boring without people, dontcha know....
Old 03-06-2010, 04:09 PM

Downstairs on the desktop drinking coffee with my legs up on the desk and keyboard in my lap. Sitting next to the pool table, big screen ,and Roland kit.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

Usually on my computer during the day (during work), or at home at any given time....but I'd love to have this mobile.

A great time to bring it up...

I'm a Blackberry abuser and use this app called BerryBlab...for forums. This forum is not on the list of forums that can be used (yet) because the webmaster would have to install the app from berryblab.com...which is free.

I know I'd love to have DW forums available at any time and I figure there are a lot of people who use BB's and would probably enjoy the convienince of having Drummerworld forums on their BB's without having to navigate through the explorers.

I tried to send the idea via PM to Dogbreath to see if it could be brought to the right person on "that" side of the forum....never heard anything back.

Anyone know who I can PM to get the idea across?

Anyone else use a BB and would like to see DW on BerryBlab?

Last edited by sticksnstonesrus; 03-06-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

Living room, sittin' on the couch, usually with a bulldog sitting beside me.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post

Me, I'm at home in my kitchen, at my rectangular maple kitchen table!
Only a drummer would sat that :)
Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Ding ding ding. You caught that obscure reference. Maple. It's not just for drums.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

This is the garage sale where I sold my Rogers for a song to free up space, having not played for eight years. Chloe (friend's daughter) is really looking the goods on the kit.

I will always regret selling that kit for next to nothing.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2010, 01:59 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Ouch, with a dynasonic and all...What were you thinking?
Those kids are so cute though.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ouch, with a dynasonic and all...What were you thinking?
Those kids are so cute though.
Tell me about it. I was thinking that I hadn't played or even thought about drumming for eight years and it was silly to clutter up my flat for eight years with drums I was keeping for sentimental reasons.

That was June 2006.

In November 2006, *&^%$ Glenn calls me up saying his friend's band desperately needed someone to fill in on drums because their drummer had walked out in a huff, and he remembered that I'd once told him that I used to play in bands.

That started the whole obsessive madness again. I've done things on the cheap (Rhythm Traveler) but, with cymbals and extras, it's still cost me well over a grand. The good news is that I kept my rare vintage snare that, after reconditioning, is an even better snare than the Dynasonic IMO.

Yes, I loves that shot I just had to mess with it :)

Old 03-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry, wrong thread. This was supposed to be on the "old pics" thread.

Duh!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:35 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Those kids aren't cute anymore ha ha. So Pol, what rare vintage snare do you own?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:16 AM
jorn

Every mans dream is to convert a lesbian .... or 2 .........
Old 03-28-2010, 10:34 AM

I'm usually on my laptop at home. Sometimes I might be at a friend's house. I love coming to forums and talking to other musicians, no matter what instrument they play. I love discussing music in general, but I really enjoy talking with other musicians. There are things that you can discuss with other musicians that you can't discuss with people that only listen to music. I'm a member of several forums, and like Larryace, I feel like I have actual friends on these forums. It's always nice when you can have good discussions with others. You may have differing viewpoints, but so what? That's what keeps things interesting. Sometimes you even learn something from them.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Where are you? At work? Home? I really feel like I have actual friends here and I wanted to try and picture where everybody gets their DW fix. Give me some details about what's around you when you are here. I also want to know what sound system you use for your computer, ie laptop speakers or seperate audio stuff
Usually on laptop, checking the "bay" for deals on my car audio project. I know, should be saving for a new kit but mine ain't broke yet and haven't had a decent car stereo in over 20yrs. I'm pulling out all the stops on this one. All Zapco and RE. My pc is down but has ok Altec sub and speakers. My car, a whole different story.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Silver Member

Wow, looks like im the only college undergrad who has time for DW...

Nowadays im in my dorm room, living in a rather large living space with 2 other dudes, my jack size bed sittin next to me, my cheap looking, wooden armoir to the back of me (no idea what type of wood). Off to my left i have a view of a red-brick apartment building and Broadway. I also got my keyboard on my side, and my guitar to keep me company.

Not on here too often, but i try to find time...
Old 03-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

At Home in my home office.Just look out the window to the front yard and street.Just got a new i mac thing is COOL........