DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:11 PM

Default How important are rudiments?

Hey guys!
So the situation really is that our kitchen got flooded (! :( ) and my music room is being used as a temp kitchen while its being re done which sucks , but i knew it would help my parents out a heap.
No music room = no sound proof. Although our neighbours are nice , i just feel so god damn guilty making noise.
This is going to take 3 months to be my music room again and i was wondering if it would be effective practice to instead of use a whole kit , just get a snare practice bad and bass drum pad which i could use my double pedal with and do rudiments/double kick practice with along with a metronome say?

Sorry if i made very little sense , but i hope you get the jist of it! :)
Cheers! :)

P.S - I haven't done rudiments in ages and also wondering how effective learning rudiments is for 'real' playing.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: How important are rudiments?

Rudiments are the backbone of drumming, the scales if you will for other instruments. When I started playing in 5th grade I didn't start with a whole set, my first three years were spent with a single snare drum learning how to play and spending hours learning rudiments, how to count and practicing from various books that my drum teachers had me use. So even if you just get a single practice pad and a metronome you can work on your sticking patterns and work on your timing. Everything you learn on a single drum can be applied and transferred over to the entire kit. Yes learning and practicing rudiments is essential to being a good drummer!

BTW watch the language ;-)
Old 01-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Cheers mate thats a relief! I was hoping i wouldn't get a reply like "No if you want to be an amazing drummer you have to practice on a whole kit all the time" or whatever.
Thats awesome. I have been playing drums for 10 years now and have NO experience really with rudiments , and think i could really benifit from just sitting down for a few months and doing rudiments etc :)

Thanks for your insight man :)
Old 01-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Actually you will be surprised when you get back to the kit how much your playing will improve and how much easier you might find fills and figuring out your favorite songs. It will open doors, ideas and a new approach to playing. The big thing is make sure you practice for a consistent sound with each one.

Check out this link to VicFirth has a bunch of rudiments on there and hope it will help you learn.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html
Old 01-02-2010, 04:23 PM

Sorry to pester , but another question related to this.
This is the kind of practice set up i want : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltd4VJQEvjA

Thats just a normal snare stand , stool , snare practice pad , pedals. But what is the thing that is 'mimicking' a bass drum? And where can i get one or are they easy to make diy?

Cheers!
Old 01-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Pioneer Member

Bass practice pad. I think a few guys here might have made one, not sure how. But you can buy them.

This isn't the exact one he was using in the video but you'll get the idea

http://www.samash.com/p/Bass%20Drum%...0Pad_-49972512
Old 01-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoofie View Post
Thats just a normal snare stand , stool , snare practice pad , pedals. But what is the thing that is 'mimicking' a bass drum? And where can i get one or are they easy to make diy?
It's a kick drum practice pad. Any music store that sells drums and acc's should see you right.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:38 PM

A rudiment by definition is a basic principle or fundamental skill. So the question is: how important is it to build a house that has a solid foundation?

I've been doing the rudiments every day since I started playing. I still practice two rudiments per week even though I already know them all. Of course, I probably wouldn't do it on my own. They're prescribed by my teacher.

Also, you don't need to build a contraption for the bass drum. Just tap your foot on the floor.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:30 PM

The three most important rudiments...

1) Singles (which you probably already do exclusively)
2) Doubles
3) Flam

Mix those guys up, put em in different parts, on different beats (8ths, triplets, etc.), with different hands, accents, etc...have fun with this shit. It doesn't have to be work, and you'd be surprised at the stuff you'll come up with ;)
Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 PM

Cheers people! A great help!
Btw i want a double kick drum pad aswell to practice double bass :)

Would all this be sufficient practice if a proper kit it not available due to noise or space etc?

Now need to decide whether to just buy a kick drum pad or make one......
Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Pioneer Member

depending on space you could just buy some mesh heads for your drums that way you at least have the setup feel of your kit.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:05 AM
wy yung

How important are rudiments? Very important. It is much the same question as "How important is it to know the alphabet to be able to read?" While many people can speak English while being illiterate, not many will go on to write a classic novel. They may even find it difficult to articulate with real clarity an idea.

Rudimental practice does not only offer the rudiments in themselves, the practice thereof will also help your general stick control. This practice also offers more opportunity to practice. One can hardly carry a full kit around but one can carry a practice pad just about anywhere. I like the strap on practice pads you can affix to your thigh. I have spent several thousand hours on these pads at bus stops, at home, at gigs! and even in Chinese restaurants (until thrown out) and at clubs. They are great. A small metronome with earphone, a thigh practice pad and you get something done where normally you'd achieve nothing. Such as at a bus stop.

I am a big believer in the teachings of Miyamoto Musashi 宮本 武蔵, who said: "Never take part in useless activity." Working on a pad is hardly useless.

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:38 AM
Gold Member

Rudiments are extremely important. If you can express music with vocab and dynamics on one drum, imagine what you can then do when you add the drumset's orchestration options.
billbachman.net
Old 01-03-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
How important are rudiments? Very important. It is much the same question as "How important is it to know the alphabet to be able to read?" While many people can speak English while being illiterate, not many will go on to write a classic novel. They may even find it difficult to articulate with real clarity an idea.

Rudimental practice does not only offer the rudiments in themselves, the practice thereof will also help your general stick control. This practice also offers more opportunity to practice. One can hardly carry a full kit around but one can carry a practice pad just about anywhere. I like the strap on practice pads you can affix to your thigh. I have spent several thousand hours on these pads at bus stops, at home, at gigs! and even in Chinese restaurants (until thrown out) and at clubs. They are great. A small metronome with earphone, a thigh practice pad and you get something done where normally you'd achieve nothing. Such as at a bus stop.

I am a big believer in the teachings of Miyamoto Musashi 宮本 武蔵, who said: "Never take part in useless activity." Working on a pad is hardly useless.

Good luck.
That was the same analogy I was going to use, Wy. Bravo!

And if I remember my martial arts training correctly, that Musashi quote is from "The Book of Five Rings", right? My teacher, Shidoshi Frank Dux, used to say it as "Do nothing which is of no use". Same thing. It just made me have a flash-back like Kwai Chang Caine used to in Kung Fu! lol.

Wy, is there a link that I may hear some of your playing?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:52 AM
wy yung

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmason777 View Post

Wy, is there a link that I may hear some of your playing?
Not really. I have a guy putting together a site for me but he does it free and it gets done while he is not otherwise busy. In time I will have stuff up. I'm a bit slow. I just got the internet today for the first time! :-)
Old 01-29-2010, 09:24 PM

Knowing and understanding rudiments of all kinds will increase your playing ability dramatically. Really, they will. Playing them clean and tight will help you with anything else you play. Taking on hybrid rudiments is another level. Fun, no doubt, but challenging.

"If you aren't having fun, you're doing it wrong." - Scott Johnson
Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 AM
Gold Member

Once you have the essential hand motions programmed from a strategic few rudiments (for example the "Top Ten Rudiments" from my Modern Drummer series), then hybrid rudiments are actually pretty easy. With well trained hands it's just a matter of learning new ways to coordinate them in order to play hybrids.

I'm sure that you didn't mean "tight" with regards to the physical approach, but that's always a scary word to throw out there. :) Rhythmic accuracy is a beautiful thing, as long as a smooth groovy flow comes with it.

Rudiments = chops, chops = vocabulary, vocabulary = music.The more you can play, the more you will play, and the easier it'll be to do so.
billbachman.net
Old 01-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Silver Member

Rudiments are essential to drumming, but how to use them is even more important.

A person who knows the biggest words won't always write the best novel. I think that little point gets overlooked by A LOT of drummers out there.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:59 AM

If you aren't using rudiments while playing on your kit....your playing a different instrument than me!!!!

Here ya go.....

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html
Old 01-31-2010, 12:16 AM
Big_Philly

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say rudiments score 11. I don't care for playing rudiments on snare drum but when placed around the kit and practised to death so you get very quick at them you can get some nice chops.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:21 AM

The real question is how limited do you want your playing, creativity, solo ideas, etc. to be?