DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 PM

Default Download Songs W/ Out the Drum Track?

Hey does anyone know any way you can get popular music without the drum tracks to play on your iPod? i have been pretty unsuccessful. I also torrent so if isohunt or piratebay has some feel free to tell me. idk if anyone else has tried this or been frustrated as i am
Old 08-12-2009, 04:29 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Download Songs W/ Out the Drum Track?

There are a ton of multitracks available as Toirrents and via Rapidshare and similar downloading sites. Some of the zipped files need to be unpacked with Audacity or FLAC, but you get pretty decent files and the drums are typically separate. So, a quick mix minus the drums, and you've got your tracks!

Bermuda
Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 AM

i have no clue how to do that. im pretty sure i have audacity and i also have adobe audition which has the multi track on it which i heard works too. what is the process step by step?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:07 PM

another option... is getting midi tracks... the instruments won't sound good and there won't be any vocals, but you can at least practice to the melody and stuff. If you're in a band though, it might be helpful to have the other members record a few tracks without you in it and then practice to those.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmac858 View Post
i have no clue how to do that. im pretty sure i have audacity and i also have adobe audition which has the multi track on it which i heard works too. what is the process step by step?
For example, try http://rapidshare.com/files/15011199...onderwall.mogg (Rapidshare is a safe site)

An 'mogg' is a multitrack .ogg file and can be separated (and then 'exported' as .wav or .mp3 files) with Audacity. Or you can simply play (and mix) right from Audacity. Open Audacity, open the file you downloaded, and it will automatically import and display the tracks (Wonderwall is 12 tracks.)

To get a separate stereo file without drums, just highlight and delete the drum tracks in Audacity (Tracks>RemoveTracks) and click File>Export, and you'll create a file without drums. (Listen to Wonderwall excerpt) You may also want to make a mix with drums on one side (so you can hear the parts) and the music on the other. On this track, the drums are pretty cool, lots going on that you can't hear clearly within the normal mix.

Most of these type of files are extracted from RockBand and GuitarHero in decent quality. There's Steely Dan, The Who, some Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins (check out a nice & clean 1979 excerpt), Boston, and newer groups as well. Some downloads are simply 5.1 mixes that have been separated and probably won't accomplish what you want. But there are also some amazing, genuine multi-track files out there as well (Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and Stevie Wonder Superstition come to mind... you wouldn't believe what Stevie's actual drum part is on that!)

Good luck,

Bermuda

PS - Another cool one - Highway Star excerpt

Last edited by bermuda; 08-12-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 PM

thanks i really appreciate the help
Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 PM

for rapidshare, do you need to make an account or how do you access all the files to find the music you want?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 PM

one more thing. can you use the mp3's or will they not have tracks? im having a hard time finding many mogg files unless there is a site you can get them from with ease
Old 08-13-2009, 02:02 AM

There's a LONG list at http://pastebin.ca/OKB7n5Qk (pw is ETS) that has links to a ton of files on a few different download sites. Note that some files are just the stereo mixes of songs, but files called .mogg will typically contain several tracks.

The download sites typically want a subscription, but also offer a 'slower' download service for free. It may seem discouraging to take the extra time (sometimes there's a deliberate delay of 45-60 seconds and you can usually only download one file at a time) but I tried a subscription for a short time, and it didn't seem much faster. It's legit, but save your money.

The .mogg files are usually mp3 quality, sometimes .wavs, and you'll need to export them as individual .wav or .mp3 files (File>ExportMultiple) to get them out of Audacity. You'll get cleaner mixes using Acid or Garage Band (or Logic, ProTools, etc.) anyway.

Bermuda

Last edited by bermuda; 08-13-2009 at 04:31 AM. Reason: slight update...
Old 08-13-2009, 03:03 AM

sweet thanks for your help b
Old 08-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Sorta similar, but does anyone know where I could get some more ambient type stuff. I don't want strict songs, but more like looping noises. I had the idea when I watched the jojo disc, there was a cool key/bass line that just looped for a couple minutes while he soloed over it.

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKV22hIvMSQ
Old 08-13-2009, 04:57 PM

There are undoubtedly as many dj and midi/sampling forums as drum forums, the people in there will be able to point you to the stuff.

Bermuda
Old 08-13-2009, 05:17 PM

Cool, I didn't even know where to begin to look or what to refer to them as, thanks.

I opened up Garage Band and found a bunch of stuff that would work for this.

**edit/update:
Spent about 2 hours playing around in Garage Band with bass loops. Got about 15 songs with different percussive basslines at varying tempos. Also, added a click at low volume. These will be perfect to practice with, very similar to the video of jojo I posted. Lots of room to solo over, but still some rhythm to follow along with.

Last edited by wyndom earle; 08-14-2009 at 02:59 AM.