DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

Default Tired tom mounts and leg brackets

I recently picked up a very well cared for Premier kit from the early 80's.
The brackets for the floor tom legs, the brackets on the toms and the kick legs will tighten up but work loose after playing. I don't know what to do, other than put modern bracket mounts on, which seems a waste on a kit this clean. I looked high and low on the interwebz and can not find "original replacement" parts.

The hole pattern on the original mounts matches up with none of the newer stuff, and I would hate to drill on these. I think the little metal ring inside the housing on these has become slightly enlarged over time with 30 years of tightening.

Any ideas.??
Old 12-23-2008, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Tired tom mounts and leg brackets

have you taken them apart? you might find its a standard bolt that you can find in a hardware store or just something thats come loose. maybe some wd40 may fix it? most of these things are just simple nuts and bolts, i wouldnt worry too much about taking it to pieces.

does the kit ever need to be packed away? maybe shove a bit of blue tack down there or something.... although that doesnt seem a very nice idea.

if finding replacement parts isnt an option how about finding another drum with the same brackets? if the drum is battered and alone its not gunna cost a bomb. is it? and i guess it may be a hard find.

thats the thing with vintage, a little luck comes in handy. sorry if youve tried all that, im not really sure what im on about.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

I have taken them apart....I will try the hardware store idea....maybe they can be rebuilt....
Old 12-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

what exactly is worn out?

maybe you can get another brand mount with a similar construction and take the parts out.

Please post a picture
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 12-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

These tom brackets are used also for ft legs and kick legs.
Their hole pattern is about 1/4 inch bigger than any replacement I have been able to find.
Inside the casting there is a bolt with a circle at the end. The post goes through the circle and tension applied with the big honking wing nut. Circle I think is a tiny bit stretched out, not allowing for a really tight set up.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wert90 View Post
have you taken them apart? you might find its a standard bolt that you can find in a hardware store or just something thats come loose. maybe some wd40 may fix it? most of these things are just simple nuts and bolts, i wouldnt worry too much about taking it to pieces.

does the kit ever need to be packed away? maybe shove a bit of blue tack down there or something.... although that doesnt seem a very nice idea.

if finding replacement parts isnt an option how about finding another drum with the same brackets? if the drum is battered and alone its not gunna cost a bomb. is it? and i guess it may be a hard find.

thats the thing with vintage, a little luck comes in handy. sorry if youve tried all that, im not really sure what im on about.
That's a good idea, to disassemble them, figure out how they work and see if you can get new parts at a hardware store.

Also, in some cases, particularly with rivets (stand hinges), the metal gets stretched out over the years. Depending on the item, you may be able to restore a tight fit by gently banging it back into shape with a peen ball hammer or vise. I have done that many times on loose hardware.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Forgive me if this sounds way too obvious, but. . .You could just bypass the shell mounts entirely and use R.I.M.S. suspension mounts (authentic or copy) on the rack toms. I understand that it's a bit more expensive than buying new shell mounts, and you may be opposed to this if you want to preserve the original condition of the kit (they look awesome, by the way!), but it's a solution that warrants consideration if you can't locate any replacement parts.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter in the Dark View Post
Forgive me if this sounds way too obvious, but. . .You could just bypass the shell mounts entirely and use R.I.M.S. suspension mounts (authentic or copy) on the rack toms. I understand that it's a bit more expensive than buying new shell mounts, and you may be opposed to this if you want to preserve the original condition of the kit (they look awesome, by the way!), but it's a solution that warrants consideration if you can't locate any replacement parts.
That's a good approach - replace the old hardware with a modern upgrade. One issue he'd have to deal with is the screw holes from the original mounts. That's easier to deal with in a wood-finish shell than it is a wrap, since you can make dowel plugs that are pretty much invisible.

You could be looking at re-wrapping the drums, or refinishing them to show the wood. Again, these would result in a better set but only if the owner wants to invest the time and effort.

Maybe it is time to re-think this hardware problem as an opportunity to give the set a makeover.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Gold Member

I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. Where is the fun in buy a bunch of Gibraltar hardware. If that is what I need to do I will, but I thought it was obvious that I didn't want to go that route. The point in having a nice vintage kit is keeping it nice and vintage.......
Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

I don't see a set like this obtaining any true value in the future, I think you shouldn't worry about keeping the parts original.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G View Post
I don't see a set like this obtaining any true value in the future, I think you shouldn't worry about keeping the parts original.

You miss the point entirely. IF possible I would like to keep it original. The drill is charged though in case that is not possible. : ^ )
Old 12-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

As you know, Premier is an English company and as such some of their measuring parameters are different. I suspect this is similar to the old 'metric heads' problems in older Premiers. By the time this kit was made, they'd probably STILL have some of the old factory machines working and therefore the spacing on the various components might be odd and the components non-compatible as a result.

Keep the drill charged.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrakich View Post
You miss the point entirely. IF possible I would like to keep it original. The drill is charged though in case that is not possible. : ^ )
I think that kit looks awesome and I am with you on trying to keep it as original as possible, I would spend plenty of time investigating what other options may be around to keep that original hardware before bringing that drill anywhere near that kit. If those brackets do come apart in any form I would look into possibly having a small machine shop looking at them to make them work properly, maybe a small amount of plating would do the trick? Best of luck to you with that and look deeply at all options other than that drill.

JIM
Old 12-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhead61 View Post
I think that kit looks awesome and I am with you on trying to keep it as original as possible, I would spend plenty of time investigating what other options may be around to keep that original hardware before bringing that drill anywhere near that kit. If those brackets do come apart in any form I would look into possibly having a small machine shop looking at them to make them work properly, maybe a small amount of plating would do the trick? Best of luck to you with that and look deeply at all options other than that drill.

JIM
Thanks Jim. I just picked up some JB Weld and I'm going to try adding a little to the inside of the ring to reduce it's size slightly. Worse that could happen is that I have to drill it out.
This kit was a transition kit Premier made only for a few years. The shells are 100% birch with maple re ring and it was their top of the line birch kit while in production. It was replaced by the Projector series. Edges look like they were cut with a butter knife, so they have a great warm and full tone.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:32 PM

i would just use R.I.M.S but i understand why you dont want to ruin it... its great lookin
Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

MFB hit the nail on the head,, probably (being he's English, of course). Premier drums, like working on an old Triumph, MG, BSA (whatever your reference to "vintage English" machines), pain in the @$$. Look long enough, and you will find parts. If you want to play the drums "right away", I'd follow Drifter's approach. That's what I do. Take off the factory hardware, RIMS mount, play drums. You could always switch to 1 up (on a snare stand) 2 down also.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
MFB hit the nail on the head,, probably (being he's English, of course). Premier drums, like working on an old Triumph, MG, BSA (whatever your reference to "vintage English" machines), pain in the @$$. Look long enough, and you will find parts. If you want to play the drums "right away", I'd follow Drifter's approach. That's what I do. Take off the factory hardware, RIMS mount, play drums. You could always switch to 1 up (on a snare stand) 2 down also.

I owned an old Jaguar.......say no more.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Platinum Member

What about getting some memory locks, then the clamps do not have to work so hard.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 12-24-2008, 05:46 AM
Platinum Member

This is what stopped me from buying a 7 piece tama artstar at my local guitar center. :(
Old 12-24-2008, 08:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
This is what stopped me from buying a 7 piece tama artstar at my local guitar center. :(
You can get Tama parts all day long. 25 year old British parts, not so much. Memory locks not an option Tried...no luck.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Ok, by "keep it original", do you mean, not modifying it, or playing it while keeping its original appearance? If it's just that you don't want to devalue it by modifying, then don't. Get some RIMS mounts, take the brackets off, mount them to the RIMS if they'll fit, otherwise just put them in the closet and use some newer ones, and leave the holes in the shell. Then you haven't devalued the kit- if you ever resell it, just put it back the way it was. If you care that the badges face out, then make sure the old bracket holes are under the mounting plate of the RIMS mounts. I added Star-cast mounts to my old Tama Rockstars, & turned the shells so that the bracket holes faced me rather than the audience, 'cause I didn't care where the badges were. The extra holes didn't affect the sound negatively, as far as I could tell, 'cause the new mounts improved the sound so much. (i.e. if it was only a 9 rather than 10 due to the bracket holes, it didn't matter 'cause it was a 5 before, y'know?)

If you meant that you want to play it as it looks not and not alter the appearance, then I dunno. If they were mine (and they're fantastic looking tubs, by the way), I wouldn't even think of drilling, filling holes with dowels, etc. I'd just slap some RIMS on 'em so that I could revert to all-original if I sold them later.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:54 PM

Don't know if this has been posted before, but i have an old Gretsch from that era and they used Premier fittings as a matter of course, I have the same tom mount as that shown, and Im assuming you have the gull wing style old premier. This fellow sells all the parts you need:
http://www.dmdrums.co.uk/VintagePremierHardware.htm
Old 12-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrakich View Post
I owned an old Jaguar.......say no more.
At least it wasn't a Lotus. Lots of trouble, usually serious.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Try wrapping the threads on the mounts with 1 or 2 layers of blue painters tape. It will get crushed inside and give you a snug fit. When it wears out in a few months, it comes out very easily with a small toothbrush and you can reapply.

I don't have this problem with any of my drum hardware but I do with some of my older photography light stands. This has done the trick for me for years.

Wrap the bolt one time around and test it. If you need to go 2 times, you get the idea.

It also keeps the threaded receiver from wearing anymore.

Good luck.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

Went to a welder. Had holes filled and re-drilled. Perfecto!!!