DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:03 PM

Default Which one - Pearl VBX or Tama SK Superstar?

I am trying to decide if I want to invest in a Pearl VBX or a Tama SK Superstar (hyper-drive). Both offer a 6-piece, which I want, and both have the aesthetic qualities I am looking for, so I was hoping someone may have some personal experience with one or the other to point me in a direction.

I have been playing a 5-piece Ludwig Rocker set for 6 years with my metal/thrash band and I need something that can stand up to the abuse I will inflict upon it (I tend to play VERY hard). The Tama is enticing because of the depth of the toms; I have my rack toms on almost the same level as my snare, so the ability to stack them over my bass drum would be helpful. Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Big_Philly

Default Re: Which one - Pearl VBX or Tama SK Superstar?

The hyper-drive shells are practical indeed, but do they offer the depth (sound-wise) you are looking for? Try one out if you can. If you can't, the VBX (with regular depth toms) is probably your safer option.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Which one - Pearl VBX or Tama SK Superstar?

That's a point I hadn't considered, Sadly I am located in Montana where I don't get the opportunity to test things before I buy them. Seems like all 6 piece start at 10'' toms, which in itself will be a major adjustment for me. Half temped to just get a shell pack and make my own assortment. Thanks for the input.