How to sound proof practice space?

jimmyC

Hi, I have my kit in our clean, dry basement. House built in 1940, cinder block walls (painted), concrete floor with rugs, open rafters (can see underneath of upstairs hardwood flooring). I would like to make it less loud for the folks upstairs (not much of a problem for the neighbors - no too loud outside). Ideas, websites, materials (other than just plain insulation) and your experience for doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy

*having trouble with the search feature on this site

shut anydoors between there and upstairs rugs above the kit (ground floor obviously)

that some simple cheep ways to lower it slightly.

other than dampening equipment i cant think of anything besides insulation

this site is the best for this sort of thing, I am a member there and could not have soundproofed my garage without it.

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

in order of preference these are your basic options in a nutshell.

ideally you would build a new room just inside your current space, with separate walls and ceiling, with multiple layers of drywall on the inside (room side) surface of the new walls and ceiling only. Insulated fully as well. Do not drywall both sides of your new wall as that will actually be worse than putting all the drywall on the inside (toward the room).

Second best would be to build just a new second ceiling below your current ceiling not touching the first, with several layers of drywall on it (facing into the room only) and insulation between. new ceiling could be supported by existing basement walls just about an inch below your current ceiling, using metal hangers for example.

Either one of these options will cost you headroom since you will need at least 2x6 inch or greater new joists depending on span distance.

Third best, but which will save your headroom, attach several layers of drywall (somewhat) directly to the existing rafters but with "resilient channel" holding them up ... that is a long metal channel that acts as a kind of spring between the new drywall and the rafters which decreases sound transmission. make sure to get proper RC not "hat" channel. So the drywall is not directly attached to the joists but actually to the channel. This way you will only lose about 3 inches depending on how much drywall you use.

of course you have to make sure the rafers can support the extra weight.

also make sure as i said to fully insulate between. and caulk any gaps.

hope that helps.

Insulating foam between the rafters then some foamboard or plywood on the rafters to make a ceiling in the basement, leaving access where needed for plumbing etc.

I don't know much about sound proofing, but for future reference here's a more productive way to search for threads online.

Go to google and follow these instructions:

Put whatever you're searching for first, so "Joey Jordison" then type in "site:" then type in the site you're searching on "drummerworld.com" (no space between "site:" and the "actual site")

for example, pop this into google and all the DW threads on soundproofing pop up:

soundproofing site:drummerworld.com

Just to clarify what I said about insulation, fiberglass insulation or mineral wool is what is normally used in soundproofing applications. Whatever you use, it is essential that air can pass through (as with fiberglass).

Just to clarify what I said about insulation, fiberglass insulation or mineral wool is what is normally used in soundproofing applications. Whatever you use, it is essential that air can pass through (as with fiberglass).

Yup, you don't want to suffocate in the drum room :)

Back