Another Rainbow?

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
So Rainbow is reforming with Ritchie Blackmore's son and Bobby Rondinelli on drums

Here's the news as reported by PlanetRock:

Rainbow Reunited (Sort Of)
19th November 2008

A reunion of former members of Rainbow that includes someone called Blackmore is sure to get your hearts racing – unfortunately Ritchie hasn’t hung up his lute and picked up his Strat once more, it’s his son Jurgen that is taking on the Rainbow mantle.

According to Bravewords.com Over The Rainbow features Rainbow veterans Joe Lynn Turner on vocals, Tony Carey on keys, Bobby Rondinelli on drums, Greg Smith on bass and new boy Jurgen (J.R.) Blackmore on guitar.

This is no gimmick tour, though. All of the members of the band are very serious about Over The Rainbow, and J.R. is a talented and well respected guitarist in his own right.

"I know there is a big demand for this music,” says Greg Smith. “The fact that all members are ex-Rainbow from different periods in the band's history will give the music the integrity it deserves. A Blackmore on guitar will give it even more authenticity."

Singer Joe Lynn Turner adds “J.R. is the only logical choice for the guitar slot for Over The Rainbow. I have followed some of his projects over the years now. He's very talented.”

The band’s only planned dates at the moment are in Russia in February.

Last edited:
This is no gimmick tour, though....
"I know there is a big demand for this music,” ...

The band’s only planned dates at the moment are in Russia in February.
How "Spinal Tap" is that?

Hmmm I wonder, Joe Lynn Turner is playing a club
in Clifton, NJ , this week or next week.. I believe I heard this
on Q104.. but, I didn't hear that former Rainbow Members would be there too?

I enjoyed Rainbow # 1 with Cozy & Ronny James Dio, and some of Graham Bonnet's Songs! w/ Cozy playing drums.

J.R.Blackmore at MySpace
There's some tunes of his playing on his MySpace, other than the orchestral first tune he sounds good!!

I'm surprised he hasn't been more in the public eye before now!!

otr_band.jpg

I saw Bobby today. He is looking forward to the new Rainbow. They are set for rehearsals after the holidays and should be on the road by February. This should be a lot of fun to see Rainbow again..

Rainbow without Dio and Blackmore?

Sounds like Black Sabbath without Ozzy... In other words, a commercial venture capitalizing on the name recognition of another product.

(BTW, I loved Black Sabbath with Dio, but I think they should have had the integrity to call it something else.)

Anyway, I hope they sound good, whatever they are.

Well, maybe. But it is not just the stars that put the work into making a band happen.

Kind of strikes me as bittersweet, like when Jason Bonham did the Zeppelin reunion.

Rainbow without Dio and Blackmore?
Sounds like Black Sabbath without Ozzy... In other words, a commercial venture capitalizing on the name recognition of another product.
(.

I'm inclined to agree with you there.....but also;

I saw Thin Lizzy when they supported John Fogerty in London earlier this year. (T. Aldridge:TL / Kenny Aronoff:JF).
Lizzy didn't do it for me but as Phil Lynette has been dead & gone for such a long time I asked around & the main reason people still support Lizzy is the obvious one.
They want to hear the songs played live.

Rainbow had many strong songs.
Folks (I'd go & see 'em if they came my way) want to hear the songs played live.

It's all down to the songs.

edit
Just for the record..

Lizzy weren't supporting John Fogery, that was a couple of singer/songwriters playing acoustic guitars. They made me feel sleepy.
Lizzy must have been supporting D. Purple...(All hail to Mr. Ian Paice: there is a God).
After that Lizzy went out and headlined a tour.

Excuse my error...I've had a very long day.

Last edited:
I need to crawl otta my cave and go see these guys for the sole purpose of hearing their songs played live. Wow! Good information here.

Nobody is expendable in a band, if Deep Purple could carry on without Ian Gillan and then Ritchie Blackmore. Groups like BS and T or Journey have carried on for years without the guy who wrote or co-wrote most of the songs. One of the realities of the music business is that writers make their money writing and players make their money playing. So writers don't need to play as much once the song is recorded; but players need to get out there to pay the rent. In this band, these are all top notch players.

Glen Hughes, replaced occasionally Roger Glover, on the bass. And Deep Purple carried on. I think it will be hard to find, one day, a replacement for Ian Paice or John Lord.

Cheers,

Glen Hughes, replaced occasionally Roger Glover, on the bass. And Deep Purple carried on. I think it will be hard to find, one day, a replacement for Ian Paice or John Lord.

Cheers,

Enter Don Airey who took over after Jon Lord became injured and has since taken over for Lord's retirement. Only drummers think that drummers are irreplaceable; but we know that they are the most readily replaceable member of the band, maybe except for Blakey. :)

I'd have to add Garibaldi and Rocco to that list.

I'll wait to see if this becomes a big debate over how irreplaceable is Ian Paice. :)

Last edited:
Back