DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:11 AM

Default griping your sticks

Hi people I'm interested in knowing if anybody has any trouble in gripping there sticks, as in lack of oils in your hands, not bad technique. Every now and then I find that there seems to be no grip in my hands and the sticks simple gradually slip out of my hands resulting in having to grip harder which results in pain. Despite spending half an hour or an hour warming up it doesn't seem to help. I believe cold weather is a problem for this and washing your hands in strong soaps and washing liquid can effect the oils in your hands. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to solve this problem. Like I say it effects me every now and then and I was wondering why?

Thanks
Robertondrums
Old 10-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: griping your sticks

Drumming gloves? Those sticks with the rubber grips on them?

I've never quite heard of this problem before, but there are quite a number of products out there that are meant to help increase grip on the stick.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertondrums View Post
Hi people I'm interested in knowing if anybody has any trouble in gripping there sticks, as in lack of oils in your hands, not bad technique. Every now and then I find that there seems to be no grip in my hands and the sticks simple gradually slip out of my hands resulting in having to grip harder which results in pain. Despite spending half an hour or an hour warming up it doesn't seem to help. I believe cold weather is a problem for this and washing your hands in strong soaps and washing liquid can effect the oils in your hands. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to solve this problem. Like I say it effects me every now and then and I was wondering why?

Thanks
Robertondrums
Your hands may be too dry, or the drumsticks are Naked - no Lacquer/Varnish.
If you are used to using lets say "Regal Tip" which has a lot of varnish/lacq. on them
and change to a standard Pro-Mark stick which uses hardley any at all, It may slip
out of your hands because of the two different types.
But Now Pro-Mark makes "PRO-GRIP" Drumsticks that won't slip.....
Other Aternatives would be;
Stick handler grip tape, or Stick-Rapp, or Mr. Zog's Sex wax for sticks. or
Zildjian Drumstick Wax, or leather driving gloves, thin baseball batting gloves,
Vater makes stick & finger tape. Some companies offer like Zildjian black
dip series stickes,and there is a company out there who make a rubber sleeve
that would go over the butt of the Stick! So there are quite a few options for you!

Best,
Chazz
Old 10-29-2008, 03:30 PM

I had this exact problem! I used to chuck the sticks all over the place. Even hit myself in the face a couple of times...

Then I started using the stick grip tape that Chazz mentioned. The trouble with that was that i ended up getting blisters when i didn't put the tape in exactly the right place.

Ayway I used this for a little while and now I have no problem throwing the sticks anymore. I no longer use the tape and all seems to be fine.
Cheers

Rich
Old 11-03-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I had this exact problem! I used to chuck the sticks all over the place. Even hit myself in the face a couple of times...

Then I started using the stick grip tape that Chazz mentioned. The trouble with that was that i ended up getting blisters when i didn't put the tape in exactly the right place.

Ayway I used this for a little while and now I have no problem throwing the sticks anymore. I no longer use the tape and all seems to be fine.
Cheers

Rich
Thanks man This problem strangly crops up every so often and is more frequent in winter so I figger it's mainly the cold even though it's warm inside. I don't really want to use tape or gloves but I am just looking for somthing that I could use when this happens. It just anoys me when it does happen particulaly when at a gig. I usually spend about half hour warming up before I play even at home but somtimes this doesn't help my hands. It's probably lack of oils or somthing. Anyway thanks for the help.

Robertondrums
Old 11-03-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Your hands may be too dry, or the drumsticks are Naked - no Lacquer/Varnish.
If you are used to using lets say "Regal Tip" which has a lot of varnish/lacq. on them
and change to a standard Pro-Mark stick which uses hardley any at all, It may slip
out of your hands because of the two different types.
But Now Pro-Mark makes "PRO-GRIP" Drumsticks that won't slip.....
Other Aternatives would be;
Stick handler grip tape, or Stick-Rapp, or Mr. Zog's Sex wax for sticks. or
Zildjian Drumstick Wax, or leather driving gloves, thin baseball batting gloves,
Vater makes stick & finger tape. Some companies offer like Zildjian black
dip series stickes,and there is a company out there who make a rubber sleeve
that would go over the butt of the Stick! So there are quite a few options for you!

Best,
Chazz
Cheers man this is really helpful. I might try the wax somtime. Like I say though it isn't a problem that happens often only ones in a will so I was looking for somthing tempremental to use. Hopfully that wax might help. It just anoys me when it happens. Thanks for the info.
Robertondrums
Old 11-03-2008, 11:27 PM

I use the wax. Works great & you only need a little. Last quite a while & won't blister your skin.

Peace
Gibraltar Rack
Old 11-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Sandpaper... Smart, cheap, 20 characters? :)
Old 11-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

I typically don't gripe about my sticks. :P

This happens to me occasionally, and I can't figure out why. When it does, I simply (discreetly) lick my thumb, wipe it on my index finger as well, insert stick...boom! Instant grip!

I know a fellow who puts rubber bands on his sticks right at his fulcrum. He has problems gripping the sticks after years of playing French grip. With the rubber bands, he doesn't have to squeeze the stick at all, but he does have to readjust the bands between songs. I tried it out once and it worked, but it's not for me. I'll take my grip au naturale, thank you.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks man This problem strangly crops up every so often and is more frequent in winter so I figger it's mainly the cold even though it's warm inside. I don't really want to use tape or gloves but I am just looking for somthing that I could use when this happens. It just anoys me when it does happen particulaly when at a gig. I usually spend about half hour warming up before I play even at home but somtimes this doesn't help my hands. It's probably lack of oils or somthing. Anyway thanks for the help.

Robertondrums
Actually i do know exactly what you mean. I live at 850m up a mountain in the French Alps. Winter is pretty much here and the air gets very dry - particularly when there's a lot of snow. I get very dry hands during the winter and this is where the problem of flying sticks tends to come in. Particularly if I start playing after washing dishes or washing my hands for whatever reason - the problem does appear to be natural oils of the skin are missing.

My GF got me this tape from the internet somewhere - I'll see if I can find where she got it from and post a link if you need. It sure helps just to have a bit at the back of the stick so that you can feel when they are slipping. Then you can make small corrections in between hits without getting too much pain in the hands. It might honestly be worth looking at the position of the sticks in your hands too - as this will become more sensitive, the dryer your hands are. Make sure you're not holding them too far back - this'll hurt anyone after a while...

Cheers

Rich
Old 11-08-2008, 03:11 AM
Flam_Taps

Back when I was a teenager the sticks kept slipping down in my hand. Then I got my act together and practiced about 50 hours per week in the Army Band and that stopped happening. Now the sticks, regardless of which left hand grip I use, actually rotate in my hands while I'm playing. I can sit there playing fast single strokes and watch the manufacturer's logo keep coming back around. But my hands no longer slip down the stick longways. It's a matter of technique and hand control, not a matter of having to sandpaper your sticks or spray glue on your hands.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flam_Taps View Post
Back when I was a teenager the sticks kept slipping down in my hand. Then I got my act together and practiced about 50 hours per week in the Army Band and that stopped happening. Now the sticks, regardless of which left hand grip I use, actually rotate in my hands while I'm playing. I can sit there playing fast single strokes and watch the manufacturer's logo keep coming back around. But my hands no longer slip down the stick longways. It's a matter of technique and hand control, not a matter of having to sandpaper your sticks or spray glue on your hands.
Thanks man, as I say this happens on occasions. I know for a fact that it isn't bad technique but is somthing to do with the natural oils in my hands. I work with some of the top drummers in my area and have studied technique over and over again so I'm competant in correct techniqe. I find somtimes it's just a matter of warming up for longer periods of time.
Just bugs me when it happens:)
Thanks
Robertondrums
Old 11-09-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I typically don't gripe about my sticks. :P

This happens to me occasionally, and I can't figure out why. When it does, I simply (discreetly) lick my thumb, wipe it on my index finger as well, insert stick...boom! Instant grip!

I know a fellow who puts rubber bands on his sticks right at his fulcrum. He has problems gripping the sticks after years of playing French grip. With the rubber bands, he doesn't have to squeeze the stick at all, but he does have to readjust the bands between songs. I tried it out once and it worked, but it's not for me. I'll take my grip au naturale, thank you.
Ye man I actually do that all the time. Works a treat doesn't it.
Thanks
Robertondrums
Old 11-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I dip mine in a product I found at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, Called Plasti-Dip. It is primarily used for dipping tools but I found it works wonders with sticks. One can is about 8.00 and will do about 10 - 12 pairs of sticks.