DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 11-20-2018, 06:45 PM

Default Can't take PDP seriously somehow

Hey guys. This subject has been bugging me for some time, and I don't think I'll be able to get over it. It's a personal preference thing but I want to try and get this out.

PDP is, in a nutshell, a DW Lite. They've got the same parent company, sure, but I feel as if they are two completely different brands. DW has different lugs, shells, finishes and hardware and I really don't think I'll ever consider getting a PDP. I just never saw them as a "proper drum brand". It's like buying a Mini version of a Samsung phone instead of another brand's mid range phone. Honestly PDP wouldn't have lifted off if it wasn't marketed as "DW's lower end line". Their lugs look pretty dumb (I feel as if DW went "Hmm... how can I make an original and functional lug design? I know! I'll just stack a lug on top of our original one!"), the logo has been really old fashioned until recently and their name doesn't sound pleasant (PDP???). I wish DW had kept their turret lugs with the PDP line since that would have changed my mind a little. Their finishes are generic but that's acceptable since they don't cost as much as other high end drums. But seeing how the PDP CM7, the most expensive PDP, costs roughly the same as a DW Design, the least expensive DW, I don't see how someone would buy a PDP. If they were going for a cheaper model like the Mainstage, why not get a Stage Custom or a Superstar Classic? They're all in the same price range, have better hardware, better finishes and don't have the Brand-Lite tag. I do like how DW is trying to get people with a lower budget to buy their stuff but I don't think it's really working. I don't have the statistics in my hand right now but I don't think many people would choose PDP as a serious contender to other brands that make great entry level kits. DW isn't stellar compared to other manufacturers like Tama, Yamaha, Pearl or Ludwig, so why can't DW make a DW branded low end kit? I think people mainly buy DW because they endorse so many players and advertise them really well, and I think they are going to be disappointed when they get a PDP and realise they're not really similar. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this (or maybe I am and I am not normal) so I want to have a nice discussion.

In the ocean of entry level kits from great brands like the Gretsch Catalina, Yamaha SC, Tama Superstar, Pearl SSC and others, would you actually consider a PDP?

P.s. In a similar topic, why would you consider a DW instead of other brands like Yamaha, Pearl, Tama or Sonor?

I hope nobody gets too rattled up, and if I offend anyone, I apologise in advance.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Can't take PDP seriously somehow

Regardless of the brand name, most of the very cheap kits can be made to sound great. Some may be a bit fragile, or even short-lived, and others may need some extra attention with sandpaper, screwdrivers and grease etc., but they do a good job of sounding right and most probably stay in tune better than a vintage kit of much higher quality.

PDP kits, on YouTube at least, can sound very good.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

I bought one of the original PDP X7 (mixed wood, not maple) kits for a church I used to attend. I played it pretty regularly for over a year. It was a very good quality kit for a very reasonable price. I experienced no hardware problems with it over that time, nor did I have any problem finding and keeping a good tuning on any of the drums, to include the snare. It was a solid kit and I would recommend it to anyone. I also own one of their hi-hat stands. It's solid and functional, and I've done hundreds of gigs with it with no issues.

Not everyone can afford DW drums, and there are a lot of drums moved at the beginner and intermediate price brackets. Why should we have an issue with DW trying to move into that space? And DW made the decision to use a separate brand name so as to preserve the cachet of their original mark. Car manufacturers do the same thing all the time, so why should it be any different with DW?

To me, the whole thing is smart business on their part, as long as the drums are good quality. So they don't appeal to you? I don't think John Good et al are at all worried about their next quarter's returns based on that.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

PDP aren't selling like they used to. Back when they were first introduced and for a decade later, there was DW $$$ and PDP $. Since DW now has $$$$, $$$, and $$ lines and PDP, $ and $$, the only thing that really remains is their $ series. Remember PDP Platinums? They were absolutely killer, but DW discontinued them to introduce the Performance series for around the same price. Then came the Concept series and later DW Design at almost the same price.

I think DW is phasing them out slowly and moving to the single brand model. John Good was probably initially fearful that the lower line made outside of the US would impact the DW brand, but with most things moving to offshore manufacturing, it's much less of a factor for people.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Taste wise I'm not even a fan of DW. I like their pedals and hi-hats and I'm also quite fond of a company they're helping stay alive and improve consistency and quality. Their own designs... meh.

I've played a few clunker PDPs and nothing I liked. It's a very competitive market and with the cheapeast stuff getting so good there's really not much of a midrange market.

I think many, like me, get Catalinas and SCs to start with, but the next kit is probably exactly what they want.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz Frigursson View Post
Hey guys. This subject has been bugging me for some time, and I don't think I'll be able to get over it. It's a personal preference thing but I want to try and get this out.

PDP is, in a nutshell, a DW Lite. They've got the same parent company, sure, but I feel as if they are two completely different brands. DW has different lugs, shells, finishes and hardware and I really don't think I'll ever consider getting a PDP. I just never saw them as a "proper drum brand". It's like buying a Mini version of a Samsung phone instead of another brand's mid range phone. Honestly PDP wouldn't have lifted off if it wasn't marketed as "DW's lower end line". Their lugs look pretty dumb (I feel as if DW went "Hmm... how can I make an original and functional lug design? I know! I'll just stack a lug on top of our original one!"), the logo has been really old fashioned until recently and their name doesn't sound pleasant (PDP???). I wish DW had kept their turret lugs with the PDP line since that would have changed my mind a little. Their finishes are generic but that's acceptable since they don't cost as much as other high end drums. But seeing how the PDP CM7, the most expensive PDP, costs roughly the same as a DW Design, the least expensive DW, I don't see how someone would buy a PDP. If they were going for a cheaper model like the Mainstage, why not get a Stage Custom or a Superstar Classic? They're all in the same price range, have better hardware, better finishes and don't have the Brand-Lite tag. I do like how DW is trying to get people with a lower budget to buy their stuff but I don't think it's really working. I don't have the statistics in my hand right now but I don't think many people would choose PDP as a serious contender to other brands that make great entry level kits. DW isn't stellar compared to other manufacturers like Tama, Yamaha, Pearl or Ludwig, so why can't DW make a DW branded low end kit? I think people mainly buy DW because they endorse so many players and advertise them really well, and I think they are going to be disappointed when they get a PDP and realise they're not really similar. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this (or maybe I am and I am not normal) so I want to have a nice discussion.

In the ocean of entry level kits from great brands like the Gretsch Catalina, Yamaha SC, Tama Superstar, Pearl SSC and others, would you actually consider a PDP?

P.s. In a similar topic, why would you consider a DW instead of other brands like Yamaha, Pearl, Tama or Sonor?

I hope nobody gets too rattled up, and if I offend anyone, I apologise in advance.
Good topic, Fritz.

I have owned and gigged extensively a 2000 Pacific Maple CX kit. American hard rock maple shells, excellent hard parts, and those hideous oval lugs. Eighteen years without a single failure, and mistaken by sound guys as DW drums all the time. I wouldn't dream of parting with them.

But . . . I completely agree with your assessment of the brand (now PDP). While I would not hesitate to buy or recommend the Mexican-made Pacifics, I wouldn't even consider the new PDP Asian kits. And not because they are made in Asia. It's because the brand has become boring, stale, and visually uninteresting. Honestly, I've felt that way about them ever since they moved to the double-turret "tube" lugs. Just . . . boring.

I've no doubts that the PDP drums are every bit as good as any other brand on the market in that price range. But the line is long overdue for a makeover if it intends to survive. They need to ditch those lugs and offer a completely new line of fine finishes - especially with wraps. Considering the Asian economic realities as they are today, DW could easily make these changes without increasing the prices.

The question is, of course, whether John Good really wants the line to survive. It seems that if he did, he would have ordered changes by now. So, this lends credence to your idea that he may be considering investing the DW name into PDP price ranges. As you note, that toe is already in the water, so why not make the plunge?

Can you imagine a PDP-priced set sporting those lovely DW turret lugs? That step alone would create voluminous sales figures. And anybody who thinks that the Asian factories are incapable of producing shells of the same quality as DW shells just hasn't been paying attention. They can, and do, produce some of the nicest shells (and almost ALL hardware for every brand of drum sold worldwide) in the world. They deliver exactly what the customer asks for.

I think that such a change would inevitably demand doing away with the PDP moniker, with DW branding taking its place. PDP hardware enjoys a very enviable popularity, so they could retain that name for hardware lines.

Anyway, that's how I would do it. And watch the sales flood in.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 PM
Gold Member

I think it is important to remember that PDP changed the market. Back when they first arrived, getting an all maple kit for 1k or less was unheard of. People were still buying Pearl Export. Pacific changed everything. All of a sudden other companies were scrambling to sell moderately priced maple and birch kits.

I think that PDP is still the "Hyundai" of drums. You get a bang for your buck but you aren't going to wow anyone. I briefly owned a PDP FS birch kit and I got it to sound right up there with my Starclassic birch kit. They are great drums for gigging with cause you don't care what happens to them.

I just hate when people put DW bass drum heads on their PDP kits.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I think it is important to remember that PDP changed the market. Back when they first arrived, getting an all maple kit for 1k or less was unheard of.
Absolutely! Those early kits really broke through because they were offering a lot of pro level features just a little over the price of an entry level kit. At the time they offered a five-piece kit with all maple shells, suspension mounts, a full hardware package (including double BD pedal) and even a muffling pillow for about $800.

I agree the brand gets a little lost in the shuffle today. As everyone else rushed to create their own "intermediate" kit to compete it makes for a very crowded market. Especially since there aren't a lot of new "pro level" features for the lower lines to steal anymore. Now, virtually every kit has the same bullet points.

I still think they have some interesting options; if you want a lot of drums those 7-piece Concept Maple kits are a good value, and I really like the wood-hoop sets with the big bass drums a lot.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:53 PM

Yeah I kind of agree with the OP. I've never really given PDP a thought purely BECAUSE they're DW lite. And I've never been excited by DW drums (though I hear plenty about their bulletproof hardware and pedals). So to me, it's a cheaper extension of a brand I don't like much in the first place.

I'm sure they make great stuff, but it's just never grabbed my attention.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I think that PDP is still the "Hyundai" of drums.
Exactly! PDP and Hyundai both make good or even great products now and yet I still can't shake the stigma.

I hate PDPs lugs too, easily the ugliest lugs in the history of drums imo.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:40 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Would you rather that PDP carried DW logos but was called DW Sentry or whatever? Ludwig, one of the biggest names now has a kit that sells for about 300.00 with cymbals. I would stay away from those faster than avoid the PDP drums. I think the Ludwig set lessens Ludwigs brand staus but thats just me. I think they are still PDP by Drum Workshop.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

It's kind of like Fender and Squire. You don't see a lot of pros playing a Squire guitar, but it's still a great instrument. Even better than some "higher end" models that other companies offer. At the end of the day there are guys out there who are better than us with PDP sets sounding better than our $4,000+ kits

With that being said, I'd probably never buy a PDP kit so the stigma is real
Old 11-20-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Would you rather that PDP carried DW logos but was called DW Sentry or whatever? Ludwig, one of the biggest names now has a kit that sells for about 300.00 with cymbals. I would stay away from those faster than avoid the PDP drums. I think the Ludwig set lessens Ludwigs brand staus but thats just me. I think they are still PDP by Drum Workshop.
I don't think there are better 300 dollar drums from PDP. But let's use some real examples. Stage Custom vs PDP CM5. Would you really go with a PDP and give up the Stage Custom?
Old 11-21-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I think it is important to remember that PDP changed the market. Back when they first arrived, getting an all maple kit for 1k or less was unheard of. People were still buying Pearl Export. Pacific changed everything. All of a sudden other companies were scrambling to sell moderately priced maple and birch kits.

I think that PDP is still the "Hyundai" of drums. You get a bang for your buck but you aren't going to wow anyone. I briefly owned a PDP FS birch kit and I got it to sound right up there with my Starclassic birch kit. They are great drums for gigging with cause you don't care what happens to them.

That last part, especially when people are selling them as DWs. The funny thing that I see everyday in my local used section is how everyone who is selling PDP drums always call them "PDP BY DW". That just proves my point, which is people mainly buy PDP because it's a DW brand.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Stage Custom vs PDP CM5. Would you really go with a PDP and give up the Stage Custom?
Yes. I've given my reasoning in one of the other 12 million other Stage Custom vs.... threads.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:44 AM
Banned

I've played many DW sets over the years. I've also played many PDP kits. The PDP drums sounded fine. The DW drums sounded less so.

PDP for the win.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
I've played many DW sets over the years. I've also played many PDP kits. The PDP drums sounded fine. The DW drums sounded less so.

PDP for the win.
Same here: Iíve had four DW Collectors kits and was never enamoured with the tones I got. I hated the maple snares even more. I kept trying them because I thought it was me. Itís probably me AND them, but Iím done with DW. Love the pedals though.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
..This subject has been bugging me for some time, and I don't think I'll be able to get over it. It's a personal preference thing but I want to try and get this out..

..I really don't think I'll ever consider getting a PDP. I just never saw them as a "proper drum brand..

Just wondering, but if you never owned a PDP set and you also will never consider to get one and when there are literally 100's other sets to choose from, then what is exactly bugging you that much..?
Old 11-21-2018, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post

PDP for the win.
I'll add a bit to this. I had issues with my PDPs, but that wasn't the norm. Never quite figured out why I had totally dead mounted toms that would go out of tune with a sneeze! That said, others I played were fine. The Platinum series sounded even better. Then I played them side by side when I came across a used set with surprisingly good heads. Compared to the Collectors series, the Platinum series were the winner hands down.

Not the same heads, Platinum with Ambassadors and DW with those horrific stock heads, so not exactly even. Alas, that's how DW wants you to hear them out of the box. The nice part about the comparison was there was also a Performance series with stock DW heads in the same room, so I did my best to tune them up close enough before a Neanderthal walked in and did a 5 hour solo... Anyway, the Performance series was far more open...dangerously close to the PDP Platinums. It's no wonder DW discontinued the Platinums. There would have been zero room for the Performance series.

The whole experience turned me off to seeking out my ultimate DW Collectors kit. That's not to say there aren't killer collectors sets. I had to stick to the lower price range if I was going to make a move on DW, so no exotic woods that shape their sound. It was going to be maple. For me at least, I couldn't justify the price, when the Platinum series came in head and shoulders above both my PDP MX (no surprise), and the DW Collectors standard shell layout and maple (big surprise).

I can't throw all DWs out of the mix. They have some very nice sounding and looking drums, but in their lower price standard sets, John Good did himself a disservice by making the PDPs as good as he did. As mentioned, I think he's undoing his mistake by offering lower DW lines and killing the higher end PDPs, but fact remains, there are just too many killer sets in the $1500 range to consider anymore.

With regards to the name, for example, after decades of successful sales, Toyota decided to introduce a luxury Lexus line, then later a modular Scion. They differentiated them based on where and whom they were targeting. They don't advertise their cars as Lexus by Toyota, or Scion by Toyota.

With PDP, it was first as if DW wanted the market segment without any associations with DW. As sales have tapered off, they have added the 'look, you're still getting a DW' moniker. From a marketing standpoint, it's a major failure. When we see a Ludwig logo on stage and the drums sound killer all mic'd up, we tend to think wow, those Ludwigs sound great, I wonder which series....

In contrast, if we hear a PDP set sound killer on stage, we think wow, the sound system sounds great and the sound guy really knows what heis doing! It doesn't make the PDPs any lesser drums, but in our mind they are. That's the risk of advertising a brand as a lesser brand, especially if you add the PDP by DW statement in all of your marketing.

That said, if I was to get a second kit to throw around on gigs, I'd definitely consider the Platinum series PDPs. If the head said PDP, I'd be replacing it anyway!

Last edited by AzHeat; 11-21-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:08 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I played a set of Mexican maple CX's from the early 2000's for about 5 years. They were my gig kit. They were fine. Round and true, great edges. Not one problem. I have nothing bad to say about them. I can't speak intelligently about their latest offerings though.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
Just wondering, but if you never owned a PDP set and you also will never consider to get one and when there are literally 100's other sets to choose from, then what is exactly bugging you that much..?
Because it makes for a nice discussion and I may buy PDP when they become something more than a DW Lite.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

I owned a PDP cx series kit in BDP and it was killer. As good as any DW kit I've played. To me it's not PDP that's the problem. It's DW. Great marketing but I'm just not impressed with their drums. I guess a lot of drummers drank the kool aid and were swayed by seeing so many (paid) endorsers using them. IMO there are better drums out there, especially vintage kits.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
So true. I never considered buying them and they don't bug me at all. ;)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

My PDP LX kit tuned easier and had a broader tuning range than my DW Collector kit. I paid $300 for it used in great condition, used it for a season of island gigs (8 months or so) when I didn't want the nicer kits getting salty, and then sold it for $300 after that season.

Last edited by ineedaclutch; 11-22-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

I can't take this thread seriously ...somehow.
"Their lugs look pretty dumb, the logo has been really old fashioned, and their name doesn't sound pleasant".
Lugs - are an aesthetic. Ok not for everybody. But they work.
An old fashioned logo? How about Ludwig's...its as old as the hills. I love it.
Are the two letters DW any greater pleasure to pronounce than PDP?
How about Gretsch? Any more or less a tongue twister than 3 letters? I love the name, but do note that saliva builds in my mouth when I say it.

More negativity on brands, that one doesn't even own or try. Thats all.
How about dwelling on what's important, sound and build maybe?
Old 11-22-2018, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
"Their lugs look pretty dumb, the logo has been really old fashioned, and their name doesn't sound pleasant".
How about Gretsch? Any more or less a tongue twister than 3 letters? I love the name, but do note that saliva builds in my mouth when I say it.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!! 😁😁
Old 11-22-2018, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post

Smartest post on this thread
Old 11-22-2018, 05:23 AM

I'll add to this. My Concept Maple sounds absolutely incredible. I have no shame whatsoever in the kit. Is it the best? No. But it sounds incredible. I also own a Yamaha Recording Custom for comparison.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:04 AM

I have owned a few PDP kits over the years and will say that the older Pacific kits that were assembled in Mexico are great drums, along with the Platinum line. All of those drums used the same shells as the DW lines and sound great. I've also heard the newer maple and birch Concept series and they are very nice drums as well. I think that you are missing out by not even considering them based on the name. I've heard the same thing said about Mapex because some don't like the name and they make some great drums as well.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

I had a Pacific LX snare for several years, and I used it quite a bit. It was a fine drum. Peace and goodwill.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

I have my own story with PDP drums. My first kit (at the tender young age of 33) was a Pacific FS Birch kit in satin red. I got it because I had started playing regularly on a church praise team, and I wanted my own gear. My wife had given me a budget of $1000, and I needed to get everything. I ended up with:

Pacific FS Birch 5-piece in fusion sizes
Pacific entry level hardware pack
Sabian XS20 cymbal pack
Pacific saddle throne - better than a basic throne, but not great

That got me in the door for just under a grand - all in all, not a bad value, but here's where the "fun" started.
  • Within a few weeks, I had a couple of swivel nuts strip out. This was problematic for a few reasons - one, not every swivel nut would work because the originals had hex heads, and the tension rods had the extra fine threading.
  • Within a couple of months, the height adjustment wing bolt stripped out on both the snare stand and the cymbal stand.
  • The bearing edges on the drums were super sharp - the sound was super ringy and hard to control, and I had a hard time tuning the 12" tom because the bearing edge wasn't consistent.
If memory serves, I ended up going back to Guitar Center with the hardware and he hooked me up with a Pearl 800 series setup. I realize I was breaking that kit down and setting it up 2-3 times/week, but I'm STILL using some of that Pearl hardware 15 years later.

I ended up replacing the stripped swivel nuts and tensions rods as they stripped, but I had to keep some on hand. This was a pain though because it seemed they would always strip out at inopportune times.

As for the bearing edges, I modded those. I built a sanding table out of a piece of MDF and sticky sided sandpaper, and I carefully took the sharpness off of the bearing edge by slightly flattening it, and then rounding it over by hand with fine sandpaper. Once I did that, those drums tuned easily, and they sounded great - they looked and sounded more expensive than what they were.

Part of me wishes I still had them, but the deal I made with the missus when I got my current kit in 2006 - a Pearl SMX Session Custom - was that I sell the PDP. With that said, out of the gate the Pearl always sounded better, it never needed any of the tweaks the PDP did, and I never had hardware issues. In any case, I vowed that I'd never own another piece of PDP gear, and so far, I've held up to that.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:00 PM

I have played a bunch of PDP hardware and some old LX series drums (belonged to a church). Never had any problems, good solid middle of the road gear - which I think is the point of affordable gear. I currently have one of the concept maple bop kits with the wood hoops. Got for short money and it is a well built, super fun little kit to play. Has a nice warm resonant tone and if I scuff it up a bit, I not beating myself up for damaging a 1000+ investment.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN02 View Post
I have played a bunch of PDP hardware and some old LX series drums (belonged to a church). Never had any problems, good solid middle of the road gear - which I think is the point of affordable gear. I currently have one of the concept maple bop kits with the wood hoops. Got for short money and it is a well built, super fun little kit to play. Has a nice warm resonant tone and if I scuff it up a bit, I not beating myself up for damaging a 1000+ investment.
That Concept Maple with wood hoops is tough to beat. Even if you decide you donít want to keep the wood hoops, itís the only set I can think of that you can get with more traditional sizes in that price range. Thereís nothing out there topping them at the moment.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
I have my own story with PDP drums. My first kit (at the tender young age of 33) was a Pacific FS Birch kit in satin red. I got it because I had started playing regularly on a church praise team, and I wanted my own gear. My wife had given me a budget of $1000, and I needed to get everything. I ended up with:

Pacific FS Birch 5-piece in fusion sizes
Pacific entry level hardware pack
Sabian XS20 cymbal pack
Pacific saddle throne - better than a basic throne, but not great

That got me in the door for just under a grand - all in all, not a bad value, but here's where the "fun" started.
  • Within a few weeks, I had a couple of swivel nuts strip out. This was problematic for a few reasons - one, not every swivel nut would work because the originals had hex heads, and the tension rods had the extra fine threading.
  • Within a couple of months, the height adjustment wing bolt stripped out on both the snare stand and the cymbal stand.
  • The bearing edges on the drums were super sharp - the sound was super ringy and hard to control, and I had a hard time tuning the 12" tom because the bearing edge wasn't consistent.
If memory serves, I ended up going back to Guitar Center with the hardware and he hooked me up with a Pearl 800 series setup. I realize I was breaking that kit down and setting it up 2-3 times/week, but I'm STILL using some of that Pearl hardware 15 years later.

I ended up replacing the stripped swivel nuts and tensions rods as they stripped, but I had to keep some on hand. This was a pain though because it seemed they would always strip out at inopportune times.

As for the bearing edges, I modded those. I built a sanding table out of a piece of MDF and sticky sided sandpaper, and I carefully took the sharpness off of the bearing edge by slightly flattening it, and then rounding it over by hand with fine sandpaper. Once I did that, those drums tuned easily, and they sounded great - they looked and sounded more expensive than what they were.

Part of me wishes I still had them, but the deal I made with the missus when I got my current kit in 2006 - a Pearl SMX Session Custom - was that I sell the PDP. With that said, out of the gate the Pearl always sounded better, it never needed any of the tweaks the PDP did, and I never had hardware issues. In any case, I vowed that I'd never own another piece of PDP gear, and so far, I've held up to that.
Sad to hear your problems with the PDP hardware pack. May I ask you a question? Since you were a newbie at the time, are you certain that you were not over tightening the screws? This is one of the most consistent tendencies that I've seen with drummers with their first gear. I did it, too.

Now, though, I cannot even remember the last time I stripped a screw on drum hardware. It must have been over twenty years ago, at least. Heck, I have to admit to using vice grips to tighten the screws on my first set of stands. Even resorted to duct tape to hold things together.

Glad you found happiness with your Pearls.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 11-24-2018, 05:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
PDP is, in a nutshell, a DW Lite. They've got the same parent company, sure, but I feel as if they are two completely different brands. .
Hence, why they have different names.

They WANT DW and PDP to be thought of as two different brands.

So, mission accomplished on their part.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I think that PDP is still the "Hyundai" of drums. You get a bang for your buck but you aren't going to wow anyone.

HA! I agree with both those sentiments.

I own a few kits, one of them the PDP New Yorker bop kit. The 18" kick it comes with is right up there sonically with my higher end kits. While the hardware it comes with isn't THE most road worthy, it works, and on the drums the bearing edges are just fine and wrap is durable. I also own a PDP Black Wax 13" snare that I use with the kit and it's a good value. The kit is perfect for lower volume venues or tight spaces and the Poplar construction is almost Birch-like to my ears - very pleasing and punchy.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:19 AM

I'll throw in my two cents. I own two PDP kits. The first one I bought in 2015 is a Concept Maple 3 up 2 down in a natural gloss finish. This has been my workhorse for the past 3 years. I am by no means a light hitter and this set has taken all of my abuse without any malfunctions. However I have only gigged it maybe 5 times so I can't fully comment on the road worthiness. With Evans 360 heads it sounds great and the bass drum is a cannon with the EMAD minus foam. My only complaint would be that I wish there was more character in finish of the wood grain, but for the price and amount of drums I would definitely classify this set as a bargain (it's nice to be able to go all the way around a set when playing Maiden or Rush lol). If anyone is ashamed of having a PDP logo on the front of their kit just swap it out with a plain head and your problems are solved.

The second set is also a Concept Maple, but it's the classic wood hoop 24/13/16 that I picked up at a ridiculously cheap price. I've only had this set for about a month, so I can't yet comment on durability but if it's anything like my other set I don't see any problems. The combination of wood hoops, huge sizes, and Remo Black Dots don't provide a head to head sound comparison but it's a lot of fun when jamming out to Zeppelin and Hendrix. I tested one of these out at GC before I bought mine used and the stock heads that come with this kit are absolute garbage so don't let that sway your opinion too much. This is going to be my main kit for the foreseeable future because I am having way too much fun rocking out on the "vintage" kit. We'll see what happens when the new drum buzz wears off.

I haven't owned any of their pedals or cymbal stands so I can't comment on those.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2018, 07:37 AM

I own a PDP kit. I got it used a few years ago. It's one of the original issue, Mexican made FS Series in Satin Red finish. 100% birch shells. Those original ones came with Pearl-style tom arms attached to ball and socket mounts with suspension mounts. Like others have said, those Mexican made Pacifics are great drums, and were using the same shells DW was at the time. They only came in one configuration, 10/12/14/22 with a matching 14 snare, in either Satin Red or Satin Black. I dislike hanging floor toms, so I removed the suspension mount and added official PDP brackets and legs. It is easily one of the best sounding kits I own. I was not a fan of the tom arms ( I replaced them with Yamaha YESS Arms and changed the brackets to match) and I did have to re-thread the wing bolts for both the spurs and the tom arm holders, but that was pretty easy. Also, since I wasn't the original owner, who knows how the previous owner treated the gear. Since I made those upgrades, the kit has been great. It sounds great live and sounds great on playback from the gig a week later.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy a PDP kit that is either all maple or all birch. There are plenty of used ones around, which means they can be had for a decent price most of the time.

As far as their hardware goes....it depends on what you get. The 700 series (low end) is mostly junk, but the 800 and Concept series are much better made. Too heavy for my tastes though. I think it's interesting that PDP is essentially Guitar Center's "house brand" when it comes to hardware. They always have a plethora of 700 (crap) stands in stock and on display.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
Sad to hear your problems with the PDP hardware pack. May I ask you a question? Since you were a newbie at the time, are you certain that you were not over tightening the screws? This is one of the most consistent tendencies that I've seen with drummers with their first gear. I did it, too.

Now, though, I cannot even remember the last time I stripped a screw on drum hardware. It must have been over twenty years ago, at least. Heck, I have to admit to using vice grips to tighten the screws on my first set of stands. Even resorted to duct tape to hold things together.

Glad you found happiness with your Pearls.

GeeDeeEmm
I was a noob drummer, but I wasn't a noob - I was 33 years old at the time, and I only ever tightened the screws down enough to hold - just snug, not tight. The metal used in those fixtures on the hardware was so low quality, it simply didn't hold up to the use it was getting at the time - getting set up and taken down 2-3x per week. IMO, that level of hardware is designed for the student who mostly leaves it set up all the time, and not for getting used and gigged on a regular basis. Keep in mind that this was PDP's low end hardware pack, so I take some of the responsibility for not buying better gear out of the gate.

With that said, I had a lot of issues with tension rod inserts stripping out too, which isn't something that gets moved a lot, nor was it prone to being over-tightened.

At the time there were a lot of threads on the Pearl Drummer's Forum about the failings of PDP hardware - I wasn't the only one. They may well have fixed the issue, but I had enough issues at the time that I've never had the desire to find out.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

My Pacific kit was from the early 2000s and the all of the stands (every. single. one.) stripped out.

All of the shell hardware and things like tom mount/spurs/etc were all fine. I still use the single tom clamps that came with that kit more than 15 years later, but the wingnut/bolts on the stands were just junk.