DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Overrated Drummers -who's on your list? Steve Gadd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jml View Post
No! No! No! Phil Collins is not overrated. Overexposed and oversaturated in the 80ís? Yes. Overrated? Absolutely not. Iím not the only person who got into drumming because of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatdat View Post
You might want to listen to his work on "Supper's Ready" from Foxtrot or "The Cinema Show" from Selling England by the Pound. If those don't convince you otherwise, listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7mYqaMKXA

Now, can we talk about Larry Mullen Jr.?

Don't get me wrong! I love Phil. I love his music, his writing. I even saw him with Genesis live when I was 15. Seats were BEHIND CHESTER THOMPSON! I was so stoked! But in the show, of course, Chester did most of the work.

Oversaturated and overexposed, Excellent terms for how I feel I guess. I still don't think he's a top ten-er.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
Childish thread anyway..
You know what...you're right.

I may not like every drummer, but there's no reason why I have to add any negative energy to this thread, or any other for that matter. It was, as you say, childish.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatdat View Post
You know what...you're right.

I may not like every drummer, but there's no reason why I have to add any negative energy to this thread, or any other for that matter. It was, as you say, childish.
You're certainly not expected to like everyone mate. And I'm more than happy to listen to anyone who is able to articulate why some drummers just don't do it for them. There are plenty of players who simply leave me cold too.

I think the danger of threads like this is the "hit and run" nature of them. People plow in with barbs like "such and such player is overrated"......without so much as an attempt to explain why they feel that way. More often than not, it's not even whether a drummer is over/under/or not rated at all. It's that the player's musical or stylistic choices just don't move them. And that's fine. To each their own. But I reckon trying to align a matter of personal taste against a players standing, is what causes most of the issues in threads of this nature. And why more of these types of threads go off the rails than any other. (Except maybe jazz, chops v groove and big kits v small kits.)

Don't see it as attempt to try silence anyone though. I reckon it'd be nice if we saw it as an opportunity to delve a little deeper and provide some context to our thoughts. After all, this is a discussion forum. It'd be a shame if you were to walk away thinking you weren't able to discuss. :-)
Old 03-16-2019, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
You're certainly not expected to like everyone mate. And I'm more than happy to listen to anyone who is able to articulate why some drummers just don't do it for them. There are plenty of players who simply leave me cold too.

I think the danger of threads like this is the "hit and run" nature of them. People plow in with barbs like "such and such player is overrated"......without so much as an attempt to explain why they feel that way. More often than not, it's not even whether a drummer is over/under/or not rated at all. It's that the player's musical or stylistic choices just don't move them. And that's fine. To each their own. But I reckon trying to align a matter of personal taste against a players standing, is what causes most of the issues in threads of this nature. And why more of these types of threads go off the rails than any other. (Except maybe jazz, chops v groove and big kits v small kits.)

Don't see it as attempt to try silence anyone though. I reckon it'd be nice if we saw it as an opportunity to delve a little deeper and provide some context to our thoughts. After all, this is a discussion forum. It'd be a shame if you were to walk away thinking you weren't able to discuss. :-)
Well said. Problem for me is that sometimes even discussions get out of hand - particularly in this medium. And couple that with the fact that my day job is adversarial by nature, trading barbs with others is not what I'm here for. If anything, I'd rather have these types of discussions over a drink.

I read this week that the internet turned 30, and apparently its creator isn't happy with how it grew up.

Sometimes I think the 20 character rule on here could be relaxed at times for someone to reply peace out.