DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

Default Which Brass Snare???

I've been looking for a brass snare. It's one of the few materials I'm still missing from my collection and I can really see a place for it. I prefer not to spend as much on 1 snare as I did for my entire drumset, so I'm trying to find something nice in an also nice price range.

I think I've narrowed my search to my 2 contenders..

14 X 6.5 DW Design series black nickel over brass
14 X 6.5 Pork Pie Big Black Brass.

Both are $300.
Which one should I buy and why?

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm certainly open to looking into them.

Peace, Defender
Old 03-23-2017, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Which Brass Snare???

If you can find a reasonably priced Ludwig chrome over brass model in good used condition, I'd go for it.
I've also read a lot of positive things about Pearl's brass snares.
Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Gold Member

I think they are about the same. Both breaded 1mm brass shells. Depends if you want a DW logo or a PP logo.

I just bought a Gretsch brushed brass snare (waiting for delivery). They were just discontinued and are being sold at blowout prices.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:40 PM
JohnoWorld

i was very tempted by Pork Pie BBB recently - some say it is a copy of a BB (with an extra B)

Pearl sensitone brass are worth checking out too
Old 03-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Most all of these Black Beauty copies have the same shell, so it just depends on what hardware and brand name you want, or which one you can find cheapest.

I have a Ludwig Black Magic, and I love it.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnoWorld View Post
i was very tempted by Pork Pie BBB recently - some say it is a copy of a BB (with an extra B)
I impulse bought the PPBBB - it is a decent knock-off - rings like a bell even with the remo control spot. Got it for a song and a dance - and I cain't sing or dance ....
Old 03-23-2017, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I just bought a Gretsch brushed brass snare (waiting for delivery). They were just discontinued and are being sold at blowout prices.
I've had that snare for a couple of years and it's probably my goto (I don't own any esoteric boutique snares though). Cool looks and a wide tuning range!
Old 03-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
If you can find a reasonably priced Ludwig chrome over brass model in good used condition, I'd go for it.
I've also read a lot of positive things about Pearl's brass snares.
Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
This.
Although the Ludwig will be more than $300 if it's in decent shape. Every once in a while a DW black nickel over brass Collector's snare will show up on ebay for $350 or so.
If you want new, the Pork Pie and DW Design are good choices.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
I've been looking for a brass snare. It's one of the few materials I'm still missing from my collection and I can really see a place for it. I prefer not to spend as much on 1 snare as I did for my entire drumset, so I'm trying to find something nice in an also nice price range.

I think I've narrowed my search to my 2 contenders..

14 X 6.5 DW Design series black nickel over brass
14 X 6.5 Pork Pie Big Black Brass.

Both are $300.
Which one should I buy and why?

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm certainly open to looking into them.

Peace, Defender
Check out my profile album, Defender. Not to sound biased, but what a peerless snare drum it is!

Here's a sample of the sound.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
Check out my profile album, Defender. Not to sound biased, but what a peerless snare drum it is!

Here's a sample of the sound.
What are you talking about? Your collectors snare? If so, I already stated I'm not looking to spend that much money..
Old 03-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

The Pork Pie BBB and Ludwig Black Magic are very nice 'budget' snares, although the Pork Pie is available only in 6.5x14 and you get 5.5, 6.5 or 8x14 with Ludwig.

Bermuda
Old 03-23-2017, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

I'll check out the Ludwig too.. I'm actually looking for 6.5 deep.. Not a huge huge fan of 5 or 5.5.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:57 AM
Silver Member

Post Deleted by OP...

Last edited by Defender; 03-24-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:19 AM
Gold Member

Save your pennies and get a Joyful Noise TKO. Yes, expensive. Yes, worth the expense.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
Save your pennies and get a Joyful Noise TKO. Yes, expensive. Yes, worth the expense.
So, I guess you're being sarcastic with this post and I suppose that's alright for a laugh.. But next time you tell me I should buy a $1400 snare, please warn me in advance.. I damn near choked on my own spit..

Oh, BTW, even if I was a professional touring drummer, there is no way in hell I'd spend this money on 1 drum.. Its just silly.

Hell, I can get a DW Collectors brass for $450 and I think that's too much.

The Ludwig snare mentioned early seems like a contender for sure.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:37 AM
Gold Member

I really like the look of the Pork Pie patina brass. It's $300.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrementalg View Post
I really like the look of the Pork Pie patina brass. It's $300.
I can vouch for that one. Played a 13x7 last year and almost bought it on the spot but thought I'd think about it. Some other dude had a faster thought process and it was gone the next day I went to buy it.

:-(
Old 03-24-2017, 04:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
So, I guess you're being sarcastic with this post and I suppose that's alright for a laugh.. But next time you tell me I should buy a $1400 snare, please warn me in advance.. I damn near choked on my own spit..

Oh, BTW, even if I was a professional touring drummer, there is no way in hell I'd spend this money on 1 drum.. Its just silly.

Hell, I can get a DW Collectors brass for $450 and I think that's too much.

The Ludwig snare mentioned early seems like a contender for sure.
I have a Ludwig Black Magic 14x8 and they are wonderful drums. Nickel Plated, Ive had mine 2 years and it looks brand new so no finish issues, beefy Die Cast Hoops they are what like $60 or $70 a piece. The throw is a asian P-85 knock-off but mine works fine. Here is a Memphis Drum Shop video of a 14x6.5 with nothing but positive comments and likes.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZt7yg9goFk This nonsense of $1000 plus Snare Drums is really Ridiculous. Here is a brand new one in this size for $299 free shipping.
https://reverb.com/p/ludwig-6-dot-5x...B&hfid=2711947
Old 03-24-2017, 04:34 AM
Silver Member

Omg.. The 14 X 8 Ludwig comes with die-cast hoops and is still $300.. Ok.. So my new question is besides the lower end one get from a deep shell, what else can I expect from such a deep drum... Right now my deepest is 6.5..in birch, also cast steel, also in pearl free floater steel..

So what does 8 inches deep get me in addition to these sounds?

EDIT: so it looks like the 6.5 Ludwig comes with die-cast hoops too.. That's an amazing bargain just in knowing what die-cast hoops go for.. I just need to figure out if I want 8 deep or 6.5 deep now.

Last edited by Defender; 03-24-2017 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Omg.. The 14 X 8 Ludwig comes with die-cast hoops and is still $300.. Ok.. So my new question is besides the lower end one get from a deep shell, what else can I expect from such a deep drum... Right now my deepest is 6.5..in birch, also cast steel, also in pearl free floater steel..

So what does 8 inches deep get me in addition to these sounds?

EDIT: so it looks like the 6.5 Ludwig comes with die-cast hoops too.. That's an amazing bargain just in knowing what die-cast hoops go for.. I just need to figure out if I want 8 deep or 6.5 deep now.
There is a depth and body of sound that you can only get with a 8in in deep Snare drum. I have 7 snares the B.M is the only one thats 14x8. I will never get rid of it and it's one of the nicest looking and sounding drums I own. Pics on the internet really dont do it justice, it's a bad ass big drum. Every Snare collection whether it is 2 or 3 or 8 and 9 need's one 14x8. Here is a pic of mine.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2017, 05:31 AM
The SunDog

Ditto. I have a DW Collectors BNOB that is my absolute favorite. My other DW and Ludwig snares are all relegated to backup status now. 14x8 brass is just the right sound for me and the Black Magic is a lot of drum for the money.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

I just grabbed a 6.5x14 Pearl Sensitone brass snare off Reverb for $213 shipped. There are some deals out there if you don't mind used?
Old 03-24-2017, 05:06 PM

Here is an underrated drum, the standard Yamaha brass from 90s-2000's.

They are pretty hard to find but I got really lucky and scored this from my local craigslist for just $100. It is extremely heavy, sounds great tuned low or high. IMO worth a look on ebay!
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2017, 05:25 PM

I have a Ludwig Black Magic 14x6.5" and a DW Collectors BNOB in 14x6.5".

I prefer the DW but it is hard to fault the Ludwig for the money they cost (I think I paid £200 for mine used).
Old 03-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What are you talking about? Your collectors snare? If so, I already stated I'm not looking to spend that much money..
No reason to fuss. The Collector's Series is manufactured in California, while the Design Series isn't. Aside from the lugs used, both drums (from all that I can see) are identical.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Unless it's spun or cast they probably won't be that expensive. Certainly not as much as the rest of the kit.

I think yopu sort of have to define the tone you're going for.

I have:

Ludwig BB 5x14
Brightest of them all. Not my kit drum of choice mostly. I use it for brush gigs and orchestra.

Gretsch 4160 5x14
Typical COB. Very open, though. Rings a lot.

Gretch Hammered Brass 5x14
Modern, but drier sound.

Older Gretsch hammered brass 6ishx14
Much warmer. Might be due to the depth, but it also has a vey different hammering. Like small handhammered hammered marks as opposed to the big "dents" on the other one. My main drum. Just sounds right in most settings to me. Generally don't use any gel on it. It's just right.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
No reason to fuss. The Collector's Series is manufactured in California, while the Design Series isn't. Aside from the lugs used, both drums (from all that I can see) are identical.
No problems..

I looked at the collectors brass, but combined with the God awful look of 20 gigantic lugs on the 14 X 8 and the extra $160 dollars for the exact same 1 mil thick rolled and seemed shell as the Ludwig black magic, there's absolutely no reason to spend all that extra money for what is basically the same shell.. And the Ludwig has die-cast hoops.

Or am I missing something in the translation?
Old 03-25-2017, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingBeat View Post

They are pretty hard to find but I got really lucky and scored this from my local craigslist for just $100. It is extremely heavy, sounds great tuned low or high. IMO worth a look on ebay!
Dude, I've been looking on my local Craigslist for over a year now for something brass. Still haven't seen anything for a reasonable used price (some are on there but everyone wants damn near new price for them).

I would love to have a brass shell that actually looks like brass. It just sucks I can't find any.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I looked at the collectors brass, but combined with the God awful look of 20 gigantic lugs on the 14 X 8 and the extra $160 dollars for the exact same 1 mil thick rolled and seemed shell as the Ludwig black magic, there's absolutely no reason to spend all that extra money for what is basically the same shell.. And the Ludwig has die-cast hoops.
I can't offer-up any information or personal experience Re: Ludwig, but from everything I've read about the Design Series by DW, lugs are the smaller version, and as for the additional dollar amount for the DW, that rests solely upon your own ears, but knowing how over-the-top my DW-CS sounds, and being that the shell on the Design Series snare is the same, I suspect you'd be pleased to no end with the DW Design Series. That is if you are still interested in keeping with your original wish list of a 6.5x14 model.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:13 AM
Ghostnote

I have a near mint 6.5×14 Ludwig hammered brass- millennium throw, tube lugs, triple flange, that I would let go for $350.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:22 AM
The SunDog

2x people have said that the Design shell is identical to the Collectors. It is absolutely not. Side by side there's no mistaking the two, and the Collectors sounds better. If the Collectors brass is overpriced at $460 then the Design is equally overpriced. It has a lower price because it's a cheaper drum. Still to the OP, I have high praise for the Black Magic. For the Design, not as much.

Last edited by The SunDog; 03-25-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

I have two 6.5x14" brass snares - a Black magic (Joey Kramer edition) and a Mapex Sledgehammer. The Mapex to me is a bit warmer and drier, with all the dimples, and goes very nice and low on tuning - perfect for ballads and midtempo grooves. The BM is a sharper, crisper snare, and it works well for just about anything. It seems to cut a bit more than the Mapex, but they're both great snares that won't break the bank, especially used.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
2x people have said that the Design shell is identical to the Collectors. It is absolutely not. Side by side there's no mistaking the two, and the Collectors sounds better. If the Collectors brass is overpriced at $460 then the Design is equally overpriced. It has a lower price because it's a cheaper drum. Still to the OP, I have high praise for the Black Magic. For the Design, not so much.
Thanks for the heads-up on the Collector's vs the Design, SD!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:49 AM
Silver Member

Dunnett 2N brass.

200% the price, 110% the magic.

Can't seem to find them used, which is sort of a good thing I guess.

Love the dw throwoff, excellent concept imho.

Again, the pork pie brass patina is nothing short of great.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
Dunnett 2N brass.

200% the price, 110% the magic.

Can't seem to find them used, which is sort of a good thing I guess.

Love the dw throwoff, excellent concept imho.

Again, the pork pie brass patina is nothing short of great.
I'm not sure if you're praising Dunnett snares or bashing them for their price.. but yes, they are way more than I'm willing to spend.

Last edited by Defender; 03-25-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:16 AM
Gold Member

I think that the DW design series and the Pork Pie big black both use shells made by World Max (correct me if I'm wrong). Different lugs and strainers, though. I ordered the 6.5" DW from guitar center, but they kept pushing out the delivery date. After five months I cancelled the order and got the Bob. Couldn't be happier with the tone. I'm not a fan of tube lugs but they'r starting to grow on me. I also tried out the Brass Petina and can vouch for what everyone wlse is saying. Incredible drum. You owe it to yourself to at least try it out.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
2x people have said that the Design shell is identical to the Collectors. It is absolutely not. Side by side there's no mistaking the two, and the Collectors sounds better. If the Collectors brass is overpriced at $460 then the Design is equally overpriced. It has a lower price because it's a cheaper drum. Still to the OP, I have high praise for the Black Magic. For the Design, not as much.
It seems that the shells are very similar and it is the hardware and options that set the two apart. I wrote DW a while ago inquiring about the difference, here is the reply I received:

The Design Series 5.5X14 Black Nickel Over Brass is an excellent sounding, studio-quality snare with a modest price tag. You can find this snare in our online store a this link: http://store.dwdrums.com/c/dw-design...re-drums_brass

The DW Collector's Series Black Nickel Over Brass is a very similar 1mm brass shell. However, this snare is available in a wide variety of sizes: 5.5x14", 6.5x14", 7x13", 8x14"

The features that set the Collector's Series Snare apart from the Design Series snare are as follows:

- Available with any of our custom shop hardware colors. (for hoops, lugs, throw-off and butt plate).
- True-Pitch 50 tension rods (50-threads per inch vs. old style True-Pitch 32-threads per inch)
- MAG Throw off and 3-Position Butt Plate (Design snare has MAG, but does not have 3-position butt plate)
- DW Truehoops : http://www.dwdrums.com/drums/collect...s/hardware.asp
(Design Series uses regular triple-flanged hoops)
Old 03-25-2017, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I wrote DW a while ago inquiring about the difference, here is the reply I received:

The Design Series 5.5X14 Black Nickel Over Brass is an excellent sounding, studio-quality snare with a modest price tag. You can find this snare in our online store a this link: http://store.dwdrums.com/c/dw-design...re-drums_brass

The DW Collector's Series Black Nickel Over Brass is a very similar 1mm brass shell. However, this snare is available in a wide variety of sizes: 5.5x14", 6.5x14", 7x13", 8x14"

The features that set the Collector's Series Snare apart from the Design Series snare are as follows:

- Available with any of our custom shop hardware colors. (for hoops, lugs, throw-off and butt plate).
- True-Pitch 50 tension rods (50-threads per inch vs. old style True-Pitch 32-threads per inch)
- MAG Throw off and 3-Position Butt Plate (Design snare has MAG, but does not have 3-position butt plate)
- DW Truehoops : http://www.dwdrums.com/drums/collect...s/hardware.asp
(Design Series uses regular triple-flanged hoops)
Many thanks for posting this, SM!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingBeat View Post

That Yamaha snare is actually from 2004-2008 era... Yamaha didn't introduce the nouveau lugs (which this drum has) until after 2003..and yes it is a nice sounding snare..
Old 03-26-2017, 03:49 AM
Silver Member

I went out today to look at brass snares.. Can someone please explain to me why the hell the inside of all these drums are black, like the outside? Isn't brass supposed to be brass colored?

All 3 of the 6.5 versions of the $300 range are freakin black inside. Why?