DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Purging Gear

Can you do it?

Get rid of unused or unwanted gear, or does it just keep piling up?
Old 12-21-2016, 10:07 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Purging Gear

I have had success with Craigslist in getting rid of some.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

It piles up, because I never know when somebody might need it.

I've provided drums, cymbals and everything for my local jam night. I'm happy to do so, but none of them are dear to my heart.

I've lent my second-best kit, one of my Guru snares, and a couple of UFiPs to a friend for a gig.

I also seem to suffer from separation anxiety :/

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 12-21-2016, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

Over years and years of playing and acquiring gear, I've personally learned what works for me, what inspires my playing, and what may be useful to a paying gig - so I regularly purge gear when I have too much of it lying around.

One exception is a few select things I keep that have sentimental value or I feel are collectible. But I keep those kinds of items to a minimum to avoid pack ratting.

With advances in modern technology it is a wonderful time to be a drummer with so much product out there - but being mindful and practical keeps owning gear manageable.

PS - I find Facebook Marketplace (on mobile phone), Reverb.com, eBay.com, and Craiglist - in that order - have been the most successful for selling gear.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

I have been able to part with a lot of gear, but more just comes in to replace it. One thing I have difficulty parting with are cymbals and hardware. They all serve a good purpose and its all top end stuff, so what would I replace it with? More of the same? Better off to keep it then sell it and have to re-buy.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Not expecting to see a post from Bermuda in this thread.

But I am expecting to see a post from Bo...or "Mr Gear Merry Go Round", as he has never once been referred to.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:53 PM

I do it in cycles. Eventually I gather too much stuff or my music starts going into a different direction, and I sell things to finance other things. I'm currently in a purging stage. Already sold one of my favourite synths and a few lesser drum machines, and still have some other things for sale. I'm really tempted to sell most of it and consolidate my studio. I no longer have time for tinkering with synths, composing and recording music.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:56 AM
Gold Member

I purge gear a lot. My playing situations change, so gear requirements change and therefore sales and or trades are in order. I go in buying and selling spurts. I am really happy with the kits I own now ( down from 6 to 3) and I had a mini purge of snare drums to keep only what gets used the most. I offloaded a LOT of cymbals and just kept the Cherries.

I am now way more selective in regards to potential purchases.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

This year, I sold off 4 snares, quite a few of my "orphan" drums, my Yamaha Recording Customs, and 22 cymbals.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
This year, I sold off 4 snares, quite a few of my "orphan" drums, my Yamaha Recording Customs, and 22 cymbals.
Yeesus Harry, I don't think I have even owned 22 cymbals in my life. Even if I count my hi hats as individual cymbals.

I would like to sell one of my kits. I have 3 complete ones and a huge bass drum but everything probably has more sentimental than monetary value.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 12-22-2016, 01:39 AM
Silver Member

Cymbals have added up - can't seem to part with them. Keep the drums down to 2 sets while snare arsenal continues to grow. The time to clear out some unused hardware is long overdue but perhaps in 2017.

Last edited by Thunder 42; 12-22-2016 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Uncle Larry can give you some great pointers about offing your un-used gear.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Uncle Larry can give you some great pointers about offing your un-used gear.
Indeed, Doctor. Believe me, I have been paying a great deal of attention...
Old 12-22-2016, 02:34 AM
Silver Member

I have a kit up for sale as we speak. I want to get down to two and keep it that way. I thought I'd add a kit in smaller sizes but I just don't care for it. I have it listed on craigslist. Only things I'm buying in 2017 are sticks and heads.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:57 AM
Platinum Member

Selling cymbals as we speak on Craigslist. Problem is, that this will go towards some new cymbals. And the wheel keeps on turning...

Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 12-22-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

It's easy for me to sell the stuff that I've tried and decided I don't like/need, but as for the extra kits and snares etc that are all great - I would have to make some difficult decisions if I was suddenly left without storage space to keep it all.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

I've binged and purged on drum gear several times over the past 12 years or so. I was up to 13 kits and 37 snares at one point, but now I'm down to 5 kits and 14 snares--the necessities. I haven't counted my cymbals lately, but I've been purging those this year, and probably sold about 15 or so.

Purging is much easier when you *want* to do it.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 12-22-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I've binged and purged on drum gear several times over the past 12 years or so. I was up to 13 kits and 37 snares at one point, but now I'm down to 5 kits and 14 snares--the necessities. I haven't counted my cymbals lately, but I've been purging those this year, and probably sold about 15 or so.

Purging is much easier when you *want* to do it.
Exactly! I no longer "wanted" to have 4 kits so I sold one and I'm working on selling one more. The one I sold had a lot of sentimental (and a decent monetary) value, but so what? I wasn't playing it anymore and hadn't really for years. I couldn't stand to have it "just because". Big believer that gear should be used. Kind of like Toy Story where toys should be played with!

At the end of the day it's just stuff. Keep some of it and move the rest to someone who can use it.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:13 PM

I won't keep anything that won't get played on the 'next gig'. I don't have the room or desire to collect a bunch of gear. What I do have is a desire or GAS to buy and try. I'm notorious for bringing a new item to each gig. "hey guys, check out my new widget" etc...

Based on my ebay transactions, this has happened about 600 times in the last 15 years. Buy, try, sell and keep the really good stuff. Feeds my need and still gets me quality gear to play and perform with.

I just bought a cymbal from another forum member yesterday. I may or may not like it in my set up. I may only use it with a certain band I fill-in with from time to time. I probably won't use it with my main band. But I will surely bring it to the next gig and find out.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:20 PM

I haven't accumulated as much gear as many of you folks, but I have a hard time letting go of anything. My garage will certainly attest to that. I currently have just two kits (plus my e-kit), the second I picked up off craigslist with the thought of probably re-selling towards more gear. I'm hanging onto it for the time being, in the extreme slim chance that I need a second kit. If I find a deal on a newer kit, I'll probably move this one.

I've swapped out a few cymbals towards different ones, but I still have more cymbals than I use or play.

Sigh....
Old 12-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder 42 View Post
Indeed, Doctor. Believe me, I have been paying a great deal of attention...
You could give some away as gracious Uncle Larry has done.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

My boss' kid is really serious about playing drums, so now i have an outlet! I just bring "care" packages to work - stuff I know I will never use again or extra heads (all my remo's cuz I stopped using remo), sticks, stands, cymbals and etc. It's a win-win situation. :)

I've become more utilitarian over time, plus I don't like having stuff that isn't being used.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

I rarely sell anything. Plus, as far as drums are concerned, I have nothing to sell now. However, I do have a load of guitars, mostly basses and have RELUCTANTLY decided to sell my '81 Fender Jazz Bass to a friend.

I would have only considered selling this to a friend as I bought it new in 1981 when I was 21 years old so there's some attachment to it. I feel better about a friend having it.

Really didn't want to sell it although I'm planning to buy a second kit this year and the wife will probably be more than enthused about that once she finds out. So, the $2500 I got for the bass will help ease her euphoria.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the second kit more so as I rarely did play that guitar and mostly stick with my newer Ibanez and Fenders. $2500 will pay for a nice chunk of the new kit.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

I got rid of some stuff a couple of years ago to pay down some debt and clear out some space. It was mostly stuff I wasn't using anyway. Sold my e-kit and extra pads, Stealth rack, Iron Cobra double pedal and hi-hat, other double-braced stands (too heavy for nothing), maybe more I don't quite remember. I'd get rid of more and have tried but I get low-balled and just change my mind. I have more than I need but it's not a ridiculous amount.

I've bought and sold a lot of shell packs in my life but haven't in a few years 'cause I'm pretty happy with what I have now. My Renown might eventually go but I know I'm gonna take a wash on it. Damn low-ballers.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

I have no gear left to purge. I paid forward a snare drum and a set of cymbals.

I only have one drum set and one set of cymbals now - but I do have three snare drums.

Wait, I do have some items to purge - old drum sticks - I just can't seem to rid of them.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:17 PM

I'd be happy with just a maple kit, a supraphonic and a set of K's. Occam's Razor :)
Old 12-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Almost 20 years ago, struggling under a pending divorce and credit debt, I decided to sell my drums to make ends meet. This led to the biggest blunder of my life, letting a 1962 blue duco Ludwig Pioneer go for a song.

Since then, I have been a very careful guardian of my gear. I tend to only divest myself of gear I don't seem to ever play - which has led to two snare drum trades and a couple of cymbals finding new homes in the last six years. But the bulk of my gear is something that I foresee a use for, and once the house is paid off I will buy the remaining cymbals and hardware required to complete two full kits. From there, acquisitions will be on a "replacement only" basis for the most part.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:59 AM
Silver Member

It depends on what it is!
I had a 2-3 year run of buying drums off craigslist from parents who's kids lost interest or people that were moving and just needed to get the drums out of their faces or whatever their situation was, after cleaning the drums up and putting new heads on them I'd resell them and make a decent profit but after having to move with 6 drum kits I decided to let someone else take over the Austin Texas craigslist drum flip game!

I also always like to have 1 or 2 extra kits lying around during SXSW to rent out to bands for the week, two years ago I rented a band a kit for $200 that I couldn't sell for $150.

BUT as far as my personal gear goes I have my kit that I'd never loan out or sell and with that kit the only time I sell anything is when I sell a cymbal to pay for the purchase of it's replacement!
Old 12-30-2016, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

I played guitar for 30 years and have been unloading everything.. and honestly it hasn't been worth the hassle, on CL you get people that try to trade you stuff even if you said no trades... or they try to talk you down from $500 to 50.. OR.. the worst is.. ill be there in the morning! and they never show.. I should be dead later this coming year.. someone else can deal with it then. make a nice bonfire :)
Old 01-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

Im on the sell and regret side.Ive sold three drum sets in my life and regret Two of them....Selling hardware etc is one thing,but no matter what.If your on here,you will always be a drummer.Never sell Drums, Unless you need to eat........
Old 01-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Ghostnote

I had a buddy who would chronically buy gear from music stores on credit, use the gear for a while, and then sell it at a loss, all while only having made the minimum payments and still owing the lion's share of the purchase price. He did this over and over and over again for years, sometimes buying the same piece of gear that he had sold a year or two before for the second or third time.

Never saw anything like it. I would talk to him about it and tell him how crazy it was and he would say, "Yeah, you're right. I just gotta be happy with what I have and pay it off", and then a couple of weeks later he would have a new bass... It was way beyond normal. It was like an addiction for him. Consumer therapy at its worst.

Haven't seen or heard from him for a year and a half now. Last I saw him, he was having a hard time finding work in Edmonton, so I told him I could get him a good paying job at a potash mine in Saskatoon and that he should come here. He did and I put him up for free, fed him, put gas in his car, etc, etc, for a month until he started his new job. It was a very easy job. All he had to do was wipe the dust off pipes with a rag as a painter followed behind him to paint the pipes with epoxy paint and it paid him $26/hr. He quit after the first day and I got pissed off at him. The next day when I got back from work, he and all his things were gone. Tried phoning and texting- no response, so I guess I'm dead to him now. Funny, one of the things he griped about the most was people with an overly entitled attitude, lol.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:25 PM

What, Get rid of something? I still have my first computer printer, it printed in pencil. My first drum set didn't come with heads, instead, a head kit. A small herd of calves. My first purchase into bow hunting was a envelope with a string and instructions in it. #1. ... Get your own stick. I still have the stick in my stick bag.
Throw anything away, you never know when you will need the dust you dug out from around you rims.

By the way Ghostnote, $26 an hour? I save old rags too!
Old 01-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

im awful at it. got a shed full :/ but recently forced to cut back on what i bring due to back issues :/
Old 01-03-2017, 07:47 PM

All of my best gear has been a gift from my parents, so there's no way I'd part with any of it. The stuff I bought myself I'd never be able to sell because most of it's junk.