DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:39 PM

Default 44 Years Old And Just Ordered Drums WTH

Hello everyone, I am 44 years old, never played a musical instrument in my life except for that annoying Fischer Price xylophone when I was a kid.......... Anyway for some reason I just said you know what, I am going to take up the drums, have no idea why or the reason for it. However I ordered a cheap Mapex Rebel set and it should be here tomorrow. that leads me too my next two questions are this. Where the hell do I go from here, and has anyone else done something this stupid? I do have a third question, how hard is it to learn drums?

Last edited by Goober; 01-20-2016 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Spell Check
Old 01-19-2016, 09:51 PM

Default Re: 44 Years Old And Just Ordered Drums WTH

You are not alone. I'm also a newbie, doing the self-teaching route. Folks on this site are helpful.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Where the hell do I go from here, and has anyone else done something this stupid? I do have a third question, how hard is it to learn drums?
Find an instructor, someone that will make a house call and help get you set up and headed in the right direction. Book a 2h session every ~two months. They should give you a few things to work on, and set goals for you to have learned for the next session. In between lessons, work with free materials on the internet to keep you interested.

Learning any instrument is as hard as you choose to make it. Learning/playing is one of those never-ending processes that will consume an entire lifetime if you allow it, as it's a bottomless pit. You should budget your time in advance (Example: 30 mins a day M-F, 1H on weekends, etc) so that you learn to set realistic expectations for yourself.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Well done and welcome!

Get lessons, which MUST include basic music reading.

How difficult/easy varies from person to person, but you can expect to learn the very basics very quickly, and also expect never to feel that you have completely mastered the instrument.

I'm 6 years older than you, and have been playing for about 3 years more than you, and loving it.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:14 PM

Well, that is another thing. I am truck driver and I am only home 2 days out of the week. I don't mind it, probably just means I need to work harder at it then. However i do appreciate the insight of the lessons. Now I need to find someone.

Last edited by Goober; 01-20-2016 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:17 PM
Gold Member

Practice pad with you.. use it nightly.. i was 44 when i started also.. that was almost 2 years ago.. i signed up with drumeo and it helped a ton.. and am very happy with the progress i made:) Age makes it a bit harder. but still doable:) Just take that practice pad with you and use it every single night...
Old 01-19-2016, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

Knackers to lessons & reading music. Have a tap along to songs you like & see how you get on. Much more fun & enjoyable that way :)
Old 01-19-2016, 10:40 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Another vote for FIRST finding the joy in simply playing what pops in your mind. Lessons can wait. Keep it simple and just have fun. Don't attach work to drums just yet. Use them to act like a kid at first.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:49 PM

Welcome. Late bloomer here too. Do what inspires you to practice. For me it's vintage drums. I may have have shopped around longer if I were you but ...

Post some pics of your new kit though/
Old 01-19-2016, 11:03 PM

My vote goes for taking some lessons and learning how to read music. You don't have to be ultra-serious about it, but I can't imagine investing in drums and then just 'seeing what I can do' without any instruction or guidance. Hell, someone who has zero experience with drums may not even be able to set them up correctly. Then if you have a natural aptitude for it the lessons will help you improve even more quickly.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:09 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Youtube is your friend. Plenty of lessons, or viewing while on the road, and use this site for setting up your kit, Drum Section and the Technique Section for pointers. Have fun.

Last edited by GruntersDad; 01-19-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:18 PM

Maybe you can set up your drum kit in the back of your truck and have a bash around at rest stops!

Bob´s yer uncle!
Old 01-19-2016, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Get a pad for the road. Plenty of ways to solve that if you wanna get creative.

A couple of lessons would be smart, even just a few, with the best instructor around.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:49 PM

I'm 57, started one year ago, got a drum teacher to start then jammed with a couple of friends. I'm now back to taking lessons and have started a band of my own with the goal of doing some gigs.

One thing I learned this go around with lessons is to practice with a metronome. My current drum teacher tells me that practicing without one is only worth half.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
One thing I learned this go around with lessons is to practice with a metronome. My current drum teacher tells me that practicing without one is only worth half.
So that's why my 16th notes sound like straight 8s ;) ;) ;)

Welcome to the forum, & 5 days / week steering wheel drumming!
Old 01-20-2016, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Wow Goober - that was really dumb. But don't worry, drumming is so simple even a truck driver can do it.

LOL - just kidding.
Just play around with 'em a bit at first. Bash 'em, whack 'em, hit 'em, without thinking about doing anything right or wrong.

If you like that, maybe sign up for a few lessons with a teacher, just to make sure you're doing the most basic things in ways that won't cause problems later. Lots of good stuff on youtube too, but it's not a replacement for in person instruction.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:48 AM

Well, I just did some searching on the net for some local lessons and there is none close to where I live so I have done some digging and found this site called 8 notes. Has anyone had experienced with this site?

http://www.8notes.com/school/lessons...um_lesson1.asp
Old 01-20-2016, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hello everyone, I am 44 years old, never played a musical instrument in my life except for that annoying Fischer price xylophone when I was a kid.......... Anyway for some reason I just said you know what I am going to take up the drums, have no idea why or the reason for it. However I ordered a cheap Mapex Rebel set and it should be here tomorrow. that leads me too my next two questions are this. Where the hell do I go from here, and has anyone else done something this stupid? I do have a third question, how hard is it to learn drums?
Goober you are too cool! Just start playing with recordings, watching videos, take lessons when you can. Keep drumsticks in the truck and practice on a pad, maybe take your snare drum on the road with you, practice when you can. It takes about two years to get good.

Mapex Rebel kit looks decent to me.

You can quiet them down by putting a t-shirt or towel on the drum heads.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:08 AM

You can check out Drumeo.com for some free beginner videos. Onlinedrummer.com has a Getting started guide and a Learning to Read music guide.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:17 AM

Two years to get good? Not for me. I'm 51. Started about 4 years ago (also with no prior music experience). Great teachers, lots of practice, still nowhere near good. I suppose it's all relative, though.

My two cents is: a good instructor. There's lots of good stuff on YouTube but lots of junk too. Take the pad on the road. I think that half hour daily is way better than two hours twice a week.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:20 AM

I got my kit at 38 with no musical experience at all either. I took lessons to get the basics down. Then pregnancy-related stuff and a kid made me stop until 4 months ago. Now I'm 41 and getting back into it, and with the time to practice now, I've really improved greatly.

I really love the Drumeo site and their free videos--I could watch Jared all day! I probably should subscribe at some point.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochelle, Rochelle View Post
I got my kit at 38 with no musical experience at all either. I took lessons to get the basics down. Then pregnancy-related stuff and a kid made me stop until 4 months ago. Now I'm 41 and getting back into it, and with the time to practice now, I've really improved greatly.

I really love the Drumeo site and their free videos--I could watch Jared all day! I probably should subscribe at some point.

Good luck!
I love Jared too! "Hi EVERYONE!" He´s my friendly drum tutor I see everyday (in video form, obvs) between my once a week drum lessons. Learn so much from him as I think he´s a great teacher for beginners.

I did a search of his name on this forum and not many members had nice things to say as I think there was some drama on here with him a few years back. :(

He´s still awesome though.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Get someone that has experience playing drums to help you set them up and tune them for you. Also, get that person to show you some basic stuff.

As a side note, if this is the kind of set that comes with its own cymbals, go ahead and save up for a decent set of hats and a ride.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

The Drumeo site is a great resource.

The bad rap comes from the quality of the first products and marketing tactics.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

There is some great stuff online,and some absolute garbage also.

One site I really like is Vic Firth.com,plenty of free content, great foundation/basics,with audio and video.

I think lessons in person would really help you advance more quickly if that is important to you.Either way welcome to the forum and have fun.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:43 PM
Gold Member

Congrats on your mid-life opportunity!

Enjoy

GJS
Old 01-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Goober, welcome to your new addiction and to DW, which has a healthy population of latecomers so you need never feel alone!

Playing drums is easy, you just hit the damn things. Playing well is something else entirely, which is why it's so important to enjoy playing, however well/badly/mediocrely you do it.

Check out Mike Johnston for lessons and learning stuff - the man is a legend in drum education :)

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 01-20-2016, 09:02 PM

I'll echo what's been said. Lots of late starters on this site. The most important thing to consider is it's never too late to learn a new skill. Have fun with it, its a great stress release.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:05 AM

Welcome to Drummerworld!

Try to get an instructor. Practice as much as you can, but keep it fun.

Listen to your favorite music (and other genres too), paying particular attention to the drumming.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:13 AM
Gold Member

I love learning new stuff. Drums for dummies? That might be of some use. Especially getting down the basic rhythms for a variety of genre's.

Last edited by GeoB; 02-06-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

Never too late to get into drumming! Nor can you ever to be too old. Whenever somebody tells me that, I show them this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKwTgzurDyQ

Welcome to the forum and the drumming family!
Old 02-04-2016, 03:49 PM

I'm 65. Just thought I would give it a go again. Picked up my fist kit when I was 31 but never played them, just used it for band practice, I'm a guitar player. Bought a couple of kits when I was in my early fifties for my recording studio. My youngest son learned how to play on those. I could play a couple of shuffles and a few basic rock beats. Closed down the studio a couple of years back and just let them sit in the basement. Decided a couple of months ago to dust them off and start playing them again. It's fun but frustrating. I want to do it all but it takes time. Have fun!

Jerry
Old 02-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
....Anyway for some reason I just said you know what, I am going to take up the drums, have no idea why or the reason for it. ....has anyone else done something this stupid?
What you have done here is the opposite of stupid. I think it's fantastic.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:27 PM

I am 52 started 4 years ago and I love it.

I took some lessons with a teacher for a year. Then I started to play with some work colleagues and I improved a lot.

Work with a metronome; forget about the toms for a while. Work to get a clean four on the floor.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:55 PM

I would suggest getting lessons . I started at age 40 so its never too late. I bought a Drumming for Dummies book with play along cd with at first which explains basic playing styles and rudiments and also Info on modern drum set setup along with other percussion items. This book is basically a Intro to drumming along with many other instructional video's available . There is a lot more to playing this instrument than people think. Also there are online lessons available. I then got serious and got a Professional Drummer for lessons which helped me to understand stick grip,Limb independence,rudiments,timing,fills and many other important Items.

Lessons are typically around $25 to $35 per 1/2 hour but IMO well worth the money. The most important thing to me as a professional working drummer is to keep solid time . Its one thing to play along to your favorite music and that's just fine but if you have plans down the road to play with other musicians its a very different experience to enjoy but it takes a lot dedication and sacrifice and it worth every bit of it. Good luck to you and most all have fun! I hope this helps you. All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff. Frank Zappa.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:21 PM

Just a DON"T. Don't buy cheap cymbals. You will regret that. Used pro-grade cymbals are a great idea for a beginner. They can always be sold or traded later with little loss in value. So, my 2 cents...have fun first and just don't get hung up in equipment. You'll be glad you waited until you really, really know what you want. (BTW If you're loaded with money then forget everything I said ;)
Old 02-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Good cymbals, throne, pedals and a decent snare are the main things. Very hard to compensate for these things. You can't tune cymbals and a sore butt and eventual need for back surgery is no fun.

BD and toms is where you pay quite a premium for 5% improvement and it would also be just as much about taste as price and quality as long as things are working properly and edges are ok.

1 crash, ride and hats get you quite far. An extra splash and a cowbell is cheap........
Old 02-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
Good cymbals, throne, pedals and a decent snare are the main things. Very hard to compensate for these things. You can't tune cymbals and a sore butt and eventual need for back surgery is no fun.

BD and toms is where you pay quite a premium for 5% improvement and it would also be just as much about taste as price and quality as long as things are working properly and edges are ok.

1 crash, ride and hats get you quite far. An extra splash and a cowbell is cheap........
Very true. It is very difficult to tune a sore butt...
Old 02-06-2016, 10:16 PM

Forget lessons, reading music and all that stuff - at least at first.

Set up the drums so they're comfortable to play and you can reach everything.

Listen to your favourite songs, then try and tap along.

There is unlimited video of drummers online now. Watch what they're doing.

Dont try to play too hard or fast - again at least at first.

Have fun and take it from there.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Gold Member

Here... read this. It's great for filtering out the noise sometimes.
Attached Images