DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:29 PM

Default Dillholes at Guitar Center Banging the Drums

What is UP with the dillholes banging on the drums at Guitar Center --- and why do the staff allow it? I was there to browse, ended up buying some stuff. There were these dillholes proudly banging on the drums, and they sounded like crap to me. One was some older guy, maybe in his 50's/60's....I the maybe he was a master drummer or something. But no, he sits has ass down at a electronic kit and pounded away, sounding terrible. Also hitting the sequenced "play along" music track...loud. And other losers banging on the drums. No one buying anything. When one of the staff turned off the e-drums (he was bald, and had these dreadlocks that were maybe two feet long, and dyed GREEN) I said "wow that sounds good to turn it off."

Seems that in some years prior, only serious people could bang on those drums. But now I guess they allow anyone to, as long as they want?

I'm not to suggest that people shouldn't try things out and browse....but do they have to pound away obnoxiously and endlessly?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Dillholes at Guitar Center Banging the Drums

Maintaining an inviting shopping environment is the responsibility of the staff, and I don't think I need to remind anyone that the GC staff - particularly in the drum department for some reason - is largely inexperienced and non-caring. The bashers aren't genuinely trying gear in order to consider a purchase, but the staff allows it anyway. Their fault.

On more than a few occasions, I've asked a staff member if I should tell them to knock it off, and many times, I have. The kind of noise they're making governs how I handle it, but they always back down. Why can't someone wearing a GC name tag do the same?

Sam Ash tends to be a little quieter, but not always. I was in the Clearwater store a month ago, and a guy was bashing away on a snare. Sounded good, but loud and annoying, so I left the room without exploring further. I had some other accessories to pick up near the counter, and the guy was remarking how loud it was in there. Sheesh...

Anyway, the noisy guy eventually left (went to another department to waste some time) and I went back in the now-quiet room and found two cymbals that I wouldn't have seen otherwise, and bought them. A clear case of a noisy 'customer' almost costing the store a sale.

Bermuda
Old 09-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerCA35 View Post
I'm not to suggest that people shouldn't try things out and browse....but do they have to pound away obnoxiously and endlessly?
Have you been to a large drum show recently?

Time for Grea to wheel out exhibit A - the photo of the London Drum Show Premier stand 12" tom batter head ;)
Old 09-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

The stores around here including the one I work at only have the electronic kits playing through headphones, and the acoustic kits arent setup for playing except for maybe one or two.

I thought that was a universal GC thing!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
... I went back in the now-quiet room and found two cymbals that I wouldn't have seen otherwise, and bought them. A clear case of a noisy 'customer' almost costing the store a sale.

Bermuda
I have done the same thing - with other gear, not with cymbals. It's easier to find things you need/want without some idiot blast-beating everybody's ears off.

So, what's the cymbal count up to now? :-)
Old 09-08-2015, 11:34 PM
Silver Member

The Guitar Center I go to was so awful about people bashing on display kits, it was actually painful to be in the drum department. I asked the clerk about it, and he told me that his manager requires that most instruments be available for customers to try. It was not just the drum department, there was often someone strangling a guitar loud enough to make your leg thump.

The past year or so I have noticed that there are no sticks in easy reach for people to just pick up and start playing. You must ask the clerk for a pair of sticks, and it seems this has cut down on some of the kit bashers.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:04 AM
Gold Member

Well in the GC where I used to go (San Diego) they removed all the kits and left the electronic kits up for people to play.

Then again, GC isn't a drum shop. It's a big box retailer. Otherwise it'd be "Drum Center".

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 09-09-2015, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

It's not really up to the staff. Management wants the place to be where people can try gear.

It used to drive me nuts when I worked there, but there wasn't much I could do about it.

I did, once, take all the beaters out of all the bass drum pedals. That way people could still hear how the drums sounded without encouraging a wank fest. But that didn't go over so well with management.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I went back in the now-quiet room and found two cymbals that I wouldn't have seen otherwise, and bought them.
Aren't you the one that owns a couple hundred cymbals?

Intervention? Cry for help? :)
Old 09-09-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
Aren't you the one that owns a couple hundred cymbals?
Nope.

I own several hundred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
So, what's the cymbal count up to now? :-)

Bermuda
Old 09-09-2015, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Nope.

I own several hundred.

Bermuda
Lol. I own 5.........
Old 09-09-2015, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerCA35 View Post

Seems that in some years prior, only serious people could bang on those drums. But now I guess they allow anyone to, as long as they want?

How else are non drummers going to find out if they really want to play drums and subsequently purchase $10,000 worth of gear int the next 3 years?
Old 09-09-2015, 04:27 AM
Platinum Member

When we (musicians) play in clubs, on the road, in the studio, at festivals, and as openers for headliners, etc. we're surrounded by people that can play instruments all the time. It's entirely too easy to forget that there's an entire population of drummers who do it for fun, aren't that good, and don't give a single shit about what other people think about their playing.

I agree that it's often annoying. Someone once described the grand opening of the NYC Guitar Center as "The sound you hear emanating from the gates of Hell". That said, virtuosity has never been a prerequisite for making great art.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nope.

I own several hundred.

Bermuda
I own 4. Got any extras you wanna get rid of? ;-)
Old 09-09-2015, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Bermuda
Genuine question: Does a pair of hihats count as one or two cymbals?
Old 09-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Gold Member

GC used to have a marketing campaign that encouraged people to come in and play the instruments. It is their way of competing against internet retailers who sell the same stuff for less. You may be able to buy a cymbal on amazon for less money, but you cant listen to a grown man beat on it like a 2 year old first.

I have a friend who works in the drum dept at the local store and is constantly telling me how bad it is. They have actually put up plexiglass around the two kits they have set up to combat the noise. Like John said, if I am trying to conduct business and somebody is bashing away on a kit I will ask them to stop for a minute. The GC clerk is not allowed to do it, but I am.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Gold Member

828 cymbals is nuts! Congrats. I hit 78 cymbals once at the height of my obsession (and that's counting hats as 2 cymbals since I mix/match a lot and have odd numbers).
billbachman.net
Old 09-09-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalTransformation View Post
Genuine question: Does a pair of hihats count as one or two cymbals?
They count as two, because the companies market them with different catalog #s, and many stores offer them for sale that way for those who might want to mix & match. In fact, my first nice pair of hats in 1970 was a 15" Zildjian top with a Paiste 602 bottom, sold to me by Bob Yeager at Pro Drum. :) I later realized that it was likely he just had two stray cymbals that happened to sound great together.

So the official count is 160pr hats, 509 rides, crashes, Chinas. Wait, that's 829 cymbals. Oh yeah, I picked up a sweet '60s mini cup ride in Vancouver yesterday. :)

Bermuda
Old 09-09-2015, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Do you know why cymbals cost so much? Bronze is not as readily available anymore because Bermuda owns most of it. :-)
Old 09-09-2015, 08:33 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Bermuda, I bet you'd be in the Guinness book of World Records if they had a category for most cymbals owned by a private citizen.

You have more bronze than the Bronze Age lol.

Bronze Bermuda Schwartz that's who you are.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
They count as two, because the companies market them with different catalog #s, and many stores offer them for sale that way for those who might want to mix & match. In fact, my first nice pair of hats in 1970 was a 15" Zildjian top with a Paiste 602 bottom, sold to me by Bob Yeager at Pro Drum. :) I later realized that it was likely he just had two stray cymbals that happened to sound great together.

So the official count is 160pr hats, 509 rides, crashes, Chinas. Wait, that's 829 cymbals. Oh yeah, I picked up a sweet '60s mini cup ride in Vancouver yesterday. :)

Bermuda
I own quite a few hi hats (>10),but you got me beat by a mile.

I was questioning my sanity after I bought another pair of Pai$te HH's last weekend at the GC on sale,

Sanity is a relative thing I guess.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

The Guitar Center near where I live is treated as an after school childcare facility. I've seen people pull up, on several occasions, dropping off a group of kids and specifying how long it will be until they'll be back. Meanwhile, most of these kids are inside, banging away on drums, trying to yank cymbals out of those cymbal holder racks, knocking expensive guitars into metal display racks, turning up speakers to see if they'll blow out ( I can only imagine that's what they're doing...there is no other purpose for it), etc. That, coupled with a seemingly indifferent staff, make Guitar Center a place I no longer frequent...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 09-13-2015, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

Not sure which age group you're referring to CW but around here we seem to have lot of yuppie parents who bring their tykes into the store and encourage them to bang away on things as if the store stock was something at a municipal park for them to play with. I'm talking little kids, 5-10 years old who have no idea how to play or intention of learning. Just that the parent seems to find it amusing to watch them flail away on stuff. Seems to be worst with the H1 visa crowd. Maybe dad is actually a musician and is off looking at something in another department. So mom takes junior to the drum department to run wild. Maybe they're not used to stores that leave stuff out back home, or they're so flush with their tech money that they think the world is their oyster. I suppose they could pay for things they break but that's not the point. The stuff is not provided for their amusement, or to take cellphone pictures of their precious progeny poking a stick through a head on. It's there primarily to make sales. For prospective buyers to fall in love with and take home.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

I can see both sides of the argument. The old Drum Shop in Newcastle was a great place to try and buy gear. The staff encouraged you to hit things, or how can you tell what it sounds like? All the e=kits had headphones so anyone could play them and I bet a lot of newbies started drumming, and buying kits, cos they were alowed to play in this shop.

I visited a huge music shop in Leeds with a big drum dept. It had loads of kits, electronic and accoustic set up to tempt you, and they all had big signs on them saying "Do not play". Now I am not a drum shop hero but just the sight of the notices put me off the shop for good. It was the principal. Drums are made to be hit, not that I would ever play stuff in a shop without asking, but this place sounded like a funeral parlour and was not user friendly at all, people were walikig round talking in hushed tones like an art gallery.

A shop needs a ballance and the drum shop in Newcastle had it about right. If you dont take the p**s you can play anything, and If I ask you to be quiet so I can take a call or speak to another customer you will be welcome anytime. If you just mess aboutor use it as a creche, then dont come back.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

A decent drum store IMHO has one or a few sound proofed rooms where you can bang on drums as long as you want to - obviously you make an appointment so the staff can set up the kit(s) you're interested in. If you just want to try a couple of cymbals, you can do hit the cymbals on the racks after the staff gave you a stick. There should be no sticks lying around except those for sale right next to the counter and you can try those on a practice pad.
No kid will touch anything in absence of a credit card holder eager to stick it in a PIN machine!
This is how my favorite drum store works and I won't go anywhere else.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

I was one of those dillholes. I remember when I didn't have a set of drums to play. I would look forward to going to GC just to play a little bit with no intention to buy anything. It's just one of the few places you can bang on a set of drums for free. I never went long or did the merciless bashing thing though.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picodon View Post
A decent drum store IMHO has one or a few sound proofed rooms where you can bang on drums as long as you want to - obviously you make an appointment so the staff can set up the kit(s) you're interested in. If you just want to try a couple of cymbals, you can do hit the cymbals on the racks after the staff gave you a stick. There should be no sticks lying around except those for sale right next to the counter and you can try those on a practice pad.
No kid will touch anything in absence of a credit card holder eager to stick it in a PIN machine!
This is how my favorite drum store works and I won't go anywhere else.
I went to a guitar center once in VT when I was visiting there, and they had the sound proofed drum rooms, which they let me jam on for like an hour. That was pretty cool.

Paiste
Pork Pie
Yamaha

Band: hxoxbx.bandcamp.com

Old 09-13-2015, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

I just love a Saturday morning at the big box music stores... I can't only imagine what a delight it must be to work there....

"No Stairway"

Oh look, here comes our very own EVH wannabe, he's going for the Floyd Rose again and the Marshalls... this will be so special. Enjoy!

Hey, here comes our favorite HM drum dude, sporting some clean jeans today... we're in luck!

and... the conguero has arrived! This is major. Any aspiring electric violinists out there?

Oh well... I guess we'll... hey wait... is that and Ozzy wannabe beginning bassist! For joy! This is truly my favorite day to work at the big box music palace.

What would make today complete? A crash cymbal tester. Ah yes... bash on oh mightly basher, bash on...
Old 09-13-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Not sure which age group you're referring to CW but around here we seem to have lot of yuppie parents who bring their tykes into the store and encourage them to bang away on things as if the store stock was something at a municipal park for them to play with.
And again, it's the store's staff that allows this.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:28 AM
Pioneer Member

I was at G.C on Friday to browse, sat down with the Roland TD30 just to spend a few minutes exploring it. Next thing I know this 20 something sits down on another electric kit, turns it up and just wails trying to play as fast as possible and it sounded like crap. I look over and oh it's a frigging EMPLOYEE. Then he sits behind an acoustic kit and does the same thing and just bangs on it at a ridiculous volume. Oh and he wasn't from the drum department, I just wanted to look at him and say shut up!
Old 09-14-2015, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
... I just wanted to look at him and say shut up!
I've told noisy people to stop on many occasions. The fact that customer says it somehow carries a little more weight.

Bermuda
Old 09-14-2015, 05:05 AM
Platinum Member

Oh how I long for the return of the NAUGHTY ROOM.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:40 AM
Gold Member

There was one time I was at a guitar center browsing around, and someone was banging away on the drums. They weren't terrible but kept striking the cymbals as humanly loud as possible.

Mind you I NEVER tell someone else how to behave or what to do, I find it annoying when other people do it so I make it a point not to.

I tactfully began to say "you don't have to hit the cymbals quite that hard to get a good sound...", when the GC employee took over and said "oh it's okay, go ahead". I just smiled and left because the noise was intolerable.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

If anybody tries to tell me to be quiet, I'll tell them to go toss one in the corner.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

I see both sides of this:

Scenario #1: Kid goes and bangs on drums. Annoys everyone.

Someone complains online about the store.

Scenario #2: Kid wants to go try out some drums because he's in the market. Wants to bang on drums (it's all he really knows to do). Store doesn't let him because it annoys everyone.

Kid complains online about the store.

With that said, it is super-annoying to hear banging away on any instrument, and musicians are a quirky bunch to deal with...especially when it comes to their money.