DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:14 PM

Default Trinity Guild Exams

Hi

I have the Level 2 Trinity Guild drum exam coming up towards the end of this year and was wondering if somebody could give me a bit of advice.

My drum tutor has an acoustic kit with muffled pads and I have a set of TD9 V drums. I have never really played a proper acoustic kit! It's a bit of a worry that i'll step into the exam room sit on the kit and not really be able to play it properly!

On my own kit I can play all the exam parts well enough. I can do them ok'ish on my tutor's although I only go once a week for half an hour and i'm no where near as comfortable on his kit as my own.

It's mainly the ride and the crash that throw me as the feel and sound is so different to my Roland. It might sound daft but I kind of hang back on the real deal because I hate the sound so much. So harsh. It's feel and technique that I lack experience with.

No drummers I know have a kit set up to practice on or I would ask to go round and have a blast through the exam stuff a few hours here and there. I would be nice to sit the exam on a digi kit but I don't think that's an option unless you are doing the Rock & Pop version, which I am not.

What to do guys?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Trinity Guild Exams

try to rent a kit to help you be ready
Old 06-26-2015, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Make friends with a drummer who can let you play their kit! Ask at your local music shop, if you have one. Go to your local jam night. Ask at the nearest school. Put an ad in the corner shop. Worst-case scenario, ask (nicely!) one of the drummers you know who doesn't have a kit set up if you can borrow it, and hire the village hall for an hour.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 06-26-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Make friends with a drummer who can let you play their kit! Ask at your local music shop, if you have one. Go to your local jam night. Ask at the nearest school. Put an ad in the corner shop. Worst-case scenario, ask (nicely!) one of the drummers you know who doesn't have a kit set up if you can borrow it, and hire the village hall for an hour.

I know a drummer who would lend me a Pearl kit. There's also a place in town that will rent a room out. I like this idea. Cheers
Old 06-26-2015, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-pack View Post
I know a drummer who would lend me a Pearl kit. There's also a place in town that will rent a room out. I like this idea. Cheers
You're very welcome, I hope it works out, and good luck :)

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 06-26-2015, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the good luck :-) Worked hard studying for the examination. Went through the level one stuff but will be skipping that exam and going straight for level two. Enjoyed it a lot.