DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Looking for a single mic to record covers at home

I posted a thread, not seeing this one about my positive result with a single SM-57 slightly higher than my bass drum as a single mic recording. I was pleasantly surprised, amazed really that it picked up all detail that it did. I have multiple mics, but I also have multiple drum kits. My main kit for recording is my big DW Performance kit. I added a compact collectors kit in my guitar/bass room (otherwise known as my great room previously), ha. Good thing I don't have a wife, she'd go postal on me and probably mail my drums to somebody else. Not gonna happen! I learned my lesson with women. It didn't work out for me, except for having one beautiful daughter.

My set is a 15 year old DW collectors set. All toms are up high and mounted to tom stands, no floor tom. Mic was just laid on a trunk that sits in front of bass drum, it's tight quarters.

l8er.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Looking for a single mic to record covers at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple View Post
I currently have a Focusrite 2i2 USB recording interface. Looking to keep the budget around $100- $150. Any Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Joe
Zoom Q3 HD is a great choice and I guess it falls in the TS's budget range these days. I got mine used for 150 USD a couple of years ago. And you'll get good quality video too!

Here's a sample for those who are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUNfvgn_070

The recorder was placed right in front of the kit, around 2 feet above the rack tom and angled slightly downwards toward the kit.