DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

Default Big Band drum thread.

I think we need a Big Band drum thread here. Anyone who plays in one or wants to play in one please contribute. I'll start.

I play in a 17 pc. Glenn Miller style Big Band called Talk of the Town. The band is made up of all age groups from college students to retired people. Until recently we even had one trumpet player who played in USO bands in the 40's. He, btw, was also a fighter pilot but didn't get a chance to see any combat. The band performs most Tuesdays at retirement centers and nursing homes for free throughout the OKC metro area which amounts to our rehearsals. We also have some paid gigs but for very little money. We travel with a book of almost 1000 tunes of which we play only a few regularly. Since we play all over the OKC metro area, which is 40 miles across in both directions, there are several musicians for most positions including drummers. Because of this we rotate musicians in and out. Due to my recent illness I haven't played with them since April 14, but I will be doing two gigs in the near future.

Attached is a picture from one of our WWII gigs.

Name:  DSCF0620.JPG
Views: 833
Size:  167.4 KB

All of you Big Band drummers or want to bes, tell us of your experiences.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Big Band drum thread.

I love Big Bands and I have always wanted to play in one. The closest that I have been able to come to playing in a Big Band is a Jazz Quintet.
I am happy for you that you get to play in one.

You mentioned nursing homes. We have played in a few nursing homes but most of our music is from the Real Books 1 and 2. It is older than the people in the nursing homes. People ask us if we can play Bruce Springsteen!
I imagine that your setlist must be in the same realm as ours.
People don't relate the music anymore.
Do you have any video links to your Big Band? I would love to see them.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:23 PM

Great idea Zickos. I play in a 17 piece big band as well. We play in churches, farmers markets and nursing homes, since there is not a big demand for big band. We made just enough money last year to purchase new stands. It is great fun. For those of you who haven't played in a big band, give it a try. It is very demanding, yet rewarding.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

I'm in my high school's jazz band. It is a Glenn Miller-ish band. Each year, we hold a dinner show called "Glenn Miller Night" that about 500 people come to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiSFgV7bhms

It's a lot of fun!
Old 01-25-2015, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Great thread idea! I assume that we do introductions first before talking about the specifics of big band drumming.

I am a former member of the Glenn Miller Orchestra (you can see pics on my website). I have also performed in big bands on cruise ships (Carnival Cruise Lines) and theme parks (Starlight Orchestra Big Band show at Busch Gardens). I am currently a member of Swing Machine, a big band based in DC. With them, I have backed trumpet legend Wayne Bergeron, Grammy nominated vocalist Juanita Williams, and America's Got Talent winner Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. We have even backed non-big band artists such as the lead singers from the Temptations, Drifters, and Platters. We have recorded one CD under our name as well as select tracks for vocalist Jason Paul Curtis.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2015, 11:31 PM
Gold Member

+1.

Great thread idea! I'd love to play in a big band. When my niece got married years ago, my brother hired a big band for the reception.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:36 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwj View Post
Great thread idea! I assume that we do introductions first before talking about the specifics of big band drumming.

I am a former member of the Glenn Miller Orchestra (you can see pics on my website). I have also performed in big bands on cruise ships (Carnival Cruise Lines) and theme parks (Starlight Orchestra Big Band show at Busch Gardens). I am currently a member of Swing Machine, a big band based in DC. With them, I have backed trumpet legend Wayne Bergeron, Grammy nominated vocalist Juanita Williams, and America's Got Talent winner Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. We have even backed non-big band artists such as the lead singers from the Temptations, Drifters, and Platters. We have recorded one CD under our name as well as select tracks for vocalist Jason Paul Curtis.

Jeff
Wayne Bergeron? That guy owes me 50 bucks!

I did big band in college and played in a few rehearsal big bands around town. When I was in college I got Wayne to come in (we were playing in different bands at Disneyland at the time) and clinic our trumpet section, but we rehearsed at 10 am and he said he doesn't play before 1 ;)

I'd love to do more big band playing, but it's so hard to get a trio together these days too. I did get to spend a day watching the great Peter Donald rehearse with the Bob Florence big band once. That was an education right there. And I did get to pick Ed Shaughnessy's brain once as well as Gregg BIssonette's when he finished playing with Maynard Ferguson. I miss those days.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:38 PM

I played in a high school and college jazz band but never got a chance to do a Big Band. One of these days I'd love to find one needing a drummer!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:56 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Well I wouldn't call it big band, but big band music with a friends father back in 74. Piano, sax, cocktail kit for a restaurant on Friday night for the older generation. My generation now.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:30 AM
Silver Member

I just play a couple big band songs with this one band that I'm in - In The Mood by Glenn Miller Orchestra and Marie by Tommy Dorsey. I love it.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

The music was just so well arranged. I can't understand how anyone couldn't appreciate it, yet most people today don't understand it.
There is something for everybody in a big band piece as far as I'm concerned. Most folks just don't realize it.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

Back in high school ("76-79) I had the drum chair in our jazz band sophomore to senior year. With a few exceptions of showcasing the rhythm section, we were a big band. Basie arrangements, etc. ...

Fun times, haven't done it since then.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:53 AM
Silver Member

Played drums in the high school dance band and loved it! However after 6 years the principal finally gave me a diploma and told me to "beat it kid!"
But seriously folks....got my sons listening to big band which they hated. Played a lot of Artie Shaw and told them listen to how great he is. "yeah right Dad." was the comment until I told them to just pretend Artie's clarinet was a guitar and imagine it was Eddie Van Halen or Slash playing Artie's part. Light bulb went off !! Came home from work one day and the boys were practicing with their garage band. They were playing Artie's "Traffic Jam"! Sounded great with rock instruments. To this day they love big band music.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:51 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
The music was just so well arranged. I can't understand how anyone couldn't appreciate it, yet most people today don't understand it.
There is something for everybody in a big band piece as far as I'm concerned. Most folks just don't realize it.
The first time I played big band it really was like piloting a 747. When the rest of that band comes in you feel like you're taking off! And then it's either, "take control and fly it" or "RUN AND HIDE!!!"
Old 01-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Gold Member

I currently play with the After Hours Big Band which is a 17 piece Big Band. I auditioned in January and took over the drum chair. My first gig with them is February 8th. It will be sight reading about 40 charts as we haven't played all these songs together yet. It won't be the first time i have had to sight read a gig with a Big Band. We have a male and female singer and play all the Jazz Festivals in the greater Toronto area.

I still sub with the Metro Big Band as well, but very infrequently now as I have too many projects on the go at this time ( I am in three other bands too). They are a great band with. Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin impersonator as singers.

My first recollection of music was my Father's Big Band records and my first influences were Gene and Buddy.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:26 AM

Hi! I've been playing in big bands for a while. Currently in the Golden Eagles in So Calif. We're a group of retired pros, college students and interested players who can play in this style. I've also done some subbing for other groups in the area. It's really a lot of fun. I get to play in so many different styles, keeps you on your toes! A big band thread would be great!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
The first time I played big band it really was like piloting a 747. When the rest of that band comes in you feel like you're taking off! And then it's either, "take control and fly it" or "RUN AND HIDE!!!"
I know exactly what you mean. I feel that way with the Jazz Quint often. The music takes on an energy all its own even on my much smaller scale.
A drummer isn't allowed to drive a band in Rock playing like he is in Swing and Bop.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:40 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Hi! I've been playing in big bands for a while. Currently in the Golden Eagles in So Calif. We're a group of retired pros, college students and interested players who can play in this style. I've also done some subbing for other groups in the area. It's really a lot of fun. I get to play in so many different styles, keeps you on your toes! A big band thread would be great!
Hey where in SoCal are you? I'm north of Disneyland and would love to come out and give a listen!
Old 01-27-2015, 03:50 AM
Administrator - Mayor

I saw this and thought it fitting. Let it play through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiSQ7njZqNw
Old 01-27-2015, 06:15 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
A big band thread would be great!
Here it is unless the moderators want to pin it.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:33 PM

I've played in this band for a long time:

http://gregrunions.bandcamp.com/album/sweet-home-suite

The band plays all original music, mostly written by Greg, some by band members and some by visiting artists.

It's a contemporary big band, so think Maria Schneider, Kenny Wheeler, Vince Mendoza, that kind of vibe.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Played with this wonderful group of people for a few years.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2015, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

I wish.
I can't read. I wouldn't be good enough, but it would be the best type of band to play with.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:08 PM

There's actually very little to read in a big band chart. The majority of many charts is straight time (ding dinga-ding, dinga-ding) with a few kicks and rests sprinkled in. Nothing to difficult.

The guy that posted the YouTube video of Sting of Pearls (Glen Miller) - that's pretty common for what you'd get in the average adult big band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Young View Post
I wish.
I can't read. I wouldn't be good enough, but it would be the best type of band to play with.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:19 AM
Silver Member

I miss playing in jazz band in high school and college because I love big band drumming. Love setting up the hits, keeping time, those little drum breaks. Even though big band music is considered the 'poppy' jazz, the drumming is far more bombastic, which I dig a lot.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I saw this and thought it fitting. Let it play through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiSQ7njZqNw
That was fun. Thanks Gruntersdad!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
That was fun. Thanks Gruntersdad!
I also enjoyed that video.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstonmike View Post
I've played in this band for a long time:

http://gregrunions.bandcamp.com/album/sweet-home-suite

The band plays all original music, mostly written by Greg, some by band members and some by visiting artists.

It's a contemporary big band, so think Maria Schneider, Kenny Wheeler, Vince Mendoza, that kind of vibe.
Just had a chance to listen. Nice stuff! I really liked "The Way You Looked"
Old 01-29-2015, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

U.S. Navy Big Band (one of the fleet bands) for about four years. Various swing/society orchestra gigs. These days I don't what's harder to find:
An audience or the player's who can properly interpret the style.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:03 AM

U.S. Navy Big Band (one of the fleet bands) for about four years. Various swing/society orchestra gigs. These days I don't what's harder to find:
An audience or the player's who can properly interpret the style.

Hands down an audience.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:37 AM

Zickos- Thanks for your post and to all who play big band music. As close as I got, was the pit orchestra in HS, where I played in Meredith Wilson's "The Music Man". I got to start the show, every nite. Every so often nowadays, I'll fire up a couple of Glenn Miller CDs to play along to, just to get back into that "swing thing". It's amazing how rhythmic those big bands were. Found this on the net recently of the old Tommy Dorsey Band, doing "Song of India", another favorite of the era. Note a young Buddy Rich on the skins. The video is a capture from the film "Las Vegas Nights", released in 1941.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...yt-cl=84924572

Last edited by Stefan Brodsky; 01-29-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
Due to my recent illness I haven't played with them since April 14, but I will be doing two gigs in the near future.

Attachment 66496
Just a wonderful picture, & so pleasing that you'll be back playing with the guys soon. Looks like a blast!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Hodge View Post
There's actually very little to read in a big band chart. The majority of many charts is straight time (ding dinga-ding, dinga-ding) with a few kicks and rests sprinkled in. Nothing to difficult.

The guy that posted the YouTube video of Sting of Pearls (Glen Miller) - that's pretty common for what you'd get in the average adult big band.
This is not strictly true. There's a lot more to Big Band music than Glen Miller! Reading and chart interpretation is an essential skill for a Big Band drummer. Whilst I agree that you can get by with rudimentary reading skills if you're playing the likes of Miller, you'd be dead in the water if the bandleader was to put a Gordon Goodwin chart in front of you.

I'm lucky enough to gig regularly with 4 different Big Bands and all of them have their challenges. There is no way I'd even be considered for these gigs if I couldn't read. That said, learning to read and interpret Big Band charts is not all that difficult. There are plenty of decent books to learn from (Steve Fidyk's book springs to mind).

Learning to read and then joining a Big Band changed everything for me and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Nice to see a Big Band discussion on here :)
Old 01-29-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Just had a chance to listen. Nice stuff! I really liked "The Way You Looked"
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. The band doesn't get to play that often and when we do we're sight reading a lot of the time but it's so much fun.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

"Learning to read and then joining a Big Band changed everything for me and I'd recommend it to anyone."

So true, I remember a very humbling experience when I was a young drummer (who thought he knew how to play "big band"). I was handed the Basie chart The Magic Flea and had a minute to look over it, then the bandleader counted it off. It was the world's fastest train wreck!
I'm not even going discuss how it went trying to play Louie Bellson's Sambadrea Swing...

Man I miss that stuff.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Hodge View Post
I'd say that's a gross generalization. I've seen both charts with nearly nothing in them and charts that were extremely difficult.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

Anyone using a 24" bass drum for their Big Band gigs currently ? Buddy used one for years (his final Radio King kit was a 26" I believe). I normally use a 20" bass drum for my Big Band gigs. I will use a 22" for larger rooms and stages.
I just picked up another Yamaha Club Custom kit with a 24" bass drum. The potential intrigues me.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Yamaha maple custom 24x16 for that type of gig but it's such a beast to move around. I'm looking at the new Sonor vintage (thin) beech shell that comes in a 24x14 size. Maybe next year...
Old 07-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

I went to a big band gig tonight, a band made up of university teachers, students and a few graduates. Pretty advanced stuff - charts by Bob Mintzer, etc.

The drummer was a great young player in his mid 20's, great chops, etc. BUT he played on a tiny bebop kit with trashy, dark cymbals which were barely audible. I found the ride cymbal(s) sound frustrating all night. It seems to be the fashion in my town, to pound away at tiny drums in a 16 piece band (no mic's.) I wonder if the horns at the far end could actually hear the ride (and the hats) to keep in time.

Is it just me, or should the drums be a bit bigger, and the cymbals a bit clearer for big band music?
Old 07-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

A Zildjians (and by extension, Sabian AA's) are touted as rock cymbals nowadays, but they were developed for big bands originally. Buddy Rich used all Zildjian A's, for example. People get in their heads "Jazz = Dark Cymbals = Stuff like K Constanioples or handmade Turkish cymbals" when in reality you're correct; big band music is LOUD. You need to think similarly to a rock drummer....you have to have the gear to cut and project. Full hornlines can get louder than people realize.