DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:32 AM

Default Ludwig Piccolo Snare - Need A Manufacture Date

Hi Everyone:

I have sitting in front of me a Ludwig Maple Piccolo 13in. Snare. The thing is factory new and I purchased it as I thought that I would use it in more Jazz oriented music, which sadly, I have not bothered with as yet. It's just sitting here in the dark unused now for over a year.

I would like to know when this snare was made.

Ludwig 13 X 3 inch 8 Lug Piccolo Snare
Black & White Badge
Black Border around the Serial Number
Serial Number: #837875

I have been told that it is late 80's, and another person said 1996, but really don't know when this was made. . Anybody with some 80's & 90's Ludwig Serial Number knowledge would be a big help. Photos attached showing serial number.

Cheers!

Tim
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2014, 05:17 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Ludwig Piccolo Snare - Need A Manufacture Date

The badge dates it after 1984. Your drum appears to be early 90's Classic Series LC-555 snare. From looking at the catalogs they made it from at least 91-94.
http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludw...log_pages.html

Dating from another confirmed date serial number might get you the exact year. Happy hunting.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:59 AM

Thanks for the information.

From the text on the Ludwig Brochure, I might have the Super Classic, as it appears from looking from the resonant side that I don't have 6 Ply wood, I have 5 ply or less, appears thin, and the drum measures 4 inches from top to bottom rims, which would also make it consistent with the Super Classic in the brochure at 3 1/2 inches and 5 ply thin, as opposed to the standard 3 inches on the L555 model and 6 ply thickness.

Too bloody confusing…..

Perhaps I should submit a photo from the resonant side and somebody else might know when they see it. The year appears to be correct, now for the exact model.

Hmmmm……

edit: Jaezus, I was not paying attention, the Super Classic is 3.5 X 14 inches, not 13. I deffo have the Classic Model, as this one measures exactly 13 inches, but everything else on it rings Super Classic.

Last edited by twinesplitter; 09-16-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:03 AM
Pioneer Member

The super classic is 14" so that will definitely rule that out, it also has more lugs from what I can tell.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

naw, this is a recently made drum. I've seen these for sale new in the past 2 years or so, so not from the 80's. Probably no older than 3 to 4 years. It sold for 120$ or so on Musician's Friend, so probably made over seas.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhammerer View Post
naw, this is a recently made drum. I've seen these for sale new in the past 2 years or so, so not from the 80's. Probably no older than 3 to 4 years. It sold for 120$ or so on Musician's Friend, so probably made over seas.
Interstate music still has one their site similar to his pictures. So you're saying Ludwig used the black and white badges in 2012?
Old 09-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

yep, just as they did on the last Blackrolites. I don't know what the b/w badge means anymore, as they started out using them on the u.s. made Rockers, then the blackrolites, but I'm assuming these days it means the drums are made in Taiwan, or somewhere else overseas. It's never really been established just where the acrolites are made these days, so who knows for sure.