DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 PM

Default Re: And I'm back to two....

You are 100% correct in your understanding of corporate etiquette and the rules that govern corporate society. I simply disagree with the concept. Would there be anarchy if everyone decided to John Wayne everything? Yes. Would there be a little more humanity imparted into society if people were people, and not one piece of the puzzle that is said entity? Yes. Is there a gray area? I say that there is...many will disagree, but I think that there is room for the self inside of the greater it. Whatever that it might be.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Honestly, I was surprised you even bought the Drum Craft. You didn't seem that into them, or sold on them once they got home.

Outside of the unfortunate incident with the guitar, it's probably best this way.

Besides, now we can look forward to another chapter of "Bo buys a kit".
Old 04-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickIt View Post
Would there be a little more humanity imparted into society if people were people, and not one piece of the puzzle that is said entity?
I'm not saying he shouldn't be a human being about it-- he should definitely go above and beyond the call of duty and do whatever he can to make sure the guy gets compensated as fast as possible-- I'd definitely be demanding that of him if I was the person whose gear got destroyed. I just wouldn't expect him to dig cash out of his own wallet, any more than I would if an employee at Best Buy accidentally smashed my new TV on the loading dock. It would be weird, and I'd be wondering whether this is a legitimate business, or just a bunch of guys running around with stuff.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Hey Bo just curious...how many other guys play drums in the happy suit? I mean it's not just you, right?
There are four of us total.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMNY View Post
Bo, did I miss something, where did your Tama gigging set go?
That one sold to my school's accompanists' son. He's 12 and loves it - he's actually practicing and focusing in on it, which is what his parents wanted. I get to teach him whenever we get together, he's a good kid.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
I'm not saying he shouldn't be a human being about it-- he should definitely go above and beyond the call of duty and do whatever he can to make sure the guy gets compensated as fast as possible-- I'd definitely be demanding that of him if I was the person whose gear got destroyed. I just wouldn't expect him to dig cash out of his own wallet, any more than I would if an employee at Best Buy accidentally smashed my new TV on the loading dock. It would be weird, and I'd be wondering whether this is a legitimate business, or just a bunch of guys running around with stuff.
Thanks Todd. Right or not, going through channels or not, I did it and its done. This guy will have a new Baby Taylor in a couple of weeks, and I'm letting it go. Let's just say "you had to be there" and leave it at that. My location shouldn't change how I handle it. If I was at a club's parking lot, or in some dive bar, I would handle it the same way. This is specifically my fault, and I knew how to do the job right (moving said monitor speaker), and took a chance and did it wrong, and found out why we do it a certain way (the hard way). I'm embarrassed by it, so I'm handling it.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
any more than I would if an employee at Best Buy accidentally smashed my new TV on the loading dock.
In my mind, those are two incomparable instances, however I do see your point, and respectfully agree to disagree.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Just back after being away a while :( So I was right in my bet that the Drumcraft would go first, but I didn't imagine it would be under these circumstances - bummer!

Bo, I completely understand why you've dealt with this directly & personally. I'd do exactly the same thing. Put simply, you screwed up, & it's up to you to put it right. You're a stand up guy (no altitudist pun intended), & you sorting this personally is the fastest route to the guitarist being settled. Also good to avoid any examination of your actions by the employer, etc. Good call, if not a bit financially painful.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:17 AM
The Old Hyde

good job doing the right thing Bo, too bad you had to sell a kit to do it. this almost goes in that thread about how to politely decline help setting up! your a drummer, not an amp handler!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Just back after being away a while :( So I was right in my bet that the Drumcraft would go first, but I didn't imagine it would be under these circumstances - bummer!

Bo, I completely understand why you've dealt with this directly & personally. I'd do exactly the same thing. Put simply, you screwed up, & it's up to you to put it right. You're a stand up guy (no altitudist pun intended), & you sorting this personally is the fastest route to the guitarist being settled. Also good to avoid any examination of your actions by the employer, etc. Good call, if not a bit financially painful.
Eh, what's 300 bucks anyway? It was a store credit, that's what! At least I got back in cash the rest that I actually paid out of pocket for the DrumCrafts. It'd be cool if I didn't have to do anything, and thankfully it wasn't more than that, so I can live with it and let it go ;)
Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

That was big of you to replace the guitar (though I read somewhere on here you were short).
Ya I didn't get why you bought the DrumCrafts either. Your other kits are the bomb.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:38 AM

Earlier on you mentioned a passing interest with tabla.
May I offer this cautionary tale:
Two friends of mine, both very talented and experienced drummers, had a go at learning tabla. Both got lessons, dedicated time to the enterprise and immersed themselves in the theory and history of the instrument.
After some time, both of them came to the conclusion that to play at an 'acceptable' level would require infinately longer than either of them had previously considered, or was prepared to give.

I know that " the more you learn, the more there is to learn", holds true.
But, it would seem that the art of playing tabla may be the ultimate proof of this!

Also, glad to hear that only pride, not body hurt in 'the incident'.
Raps for taking responsibility.

" Grass hopper, you have learnt much since coming to the temple.
However, the lifting the heavy rock and dancing over the twisted eels needs work!
Mind you, you did a beautiful job on restoring the temples' antique drums; maybe this is the path you seek, Grasshopper ? "
Old 04-19-2013, 04:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
That was big of you to replace the guitar (though I read somewhere on here you were short).
Ya I didn't get why you bought the DrumCrafts either. Your other kits are the bomb.
Well, initially I thought I'd flip them for more $$$ since I was getting them so cheap, so they were looked upon as a cash cow. And once I got them I liked the look and the sizes, but when I played them for the few days I had them, they didn't inspire me to want to play them - they felt very generic. So as I said, I'm not disappointed I don't have them now. It's just a slight bummer that it wasn't up to me on what I did with them ;)

I am very happy with the vintage drums I have. There's tones there that just speak to me, and probably because it's the tones that were ingrained in me when I was a kid. When I reacquired that 1980s Ludwig Supraphonic, there's a sound I hadn't heard in a long time! When I got the COB Slingerland snare, I think it sounds better than the Supra some times - there's a nice 'point' to it when I play that drum. I'm not sure if it's the era they were made in (most likely) but I don't feel that vibe when I sit behind a new Ludwig maple or a new Club Date. Anything I sit behind gets compared to what I have at home, and lately I haven't been hankering for "a sound I want".

I'll be honest, I've been considering the Guru route and have been doing research on the one-ply steam bent wood thing, and I've been at the drum shop playing around with their Craviottos, Brady's, and a lone Noble & Cooley snare. But I'm still kinda' 'meh' on the whole idea of getting another kit. Maybe a great solid wooden snare drum might be good since I don't have one - and the size that's been impressing me is a 7x14. But a nice solid wood snare runs in the $1500+ range and the pragmatist in me can't seem to justify that if I'm only gonna be beating 'Mustang Sally' out of it on the weekends ;)

However, I reserve the right to change my mind. Thanks everyone for the support. I feel better about my decision to just replace this guys guitar, and I do feel good that I can do it. I just feel dumb for having gotten into the situation in the first place!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678...procrastinate View Post
Earlier on you mentioned a passing interest with tabla.
May I offer this cautionary tale:
Two friends of mine, both very talented and experienced drummers, had a go at learning tabla. Both got lessons, dedicated time to the enterprise and immersed themselves in the theory and history of the instrument.
After some time, both of them came to the conclusion that to play at an 'acceptable' level would require infinately longer than either of them had previously considered, or was prepared to give.

I know that " the more you learn, the more there is to learn", holds true.
But, it would seem that the art of playing tabla may be the ultimate proof of this!

Also, glad to hear that only pride, not body hurt in 'the incident'.
Raps for taking responsibility.

" Grass hopper, you have learnt much since coming to the temple.
However, the lifting the heavy rock and dancing over the twisted eels needs work!
Mind you, you did a beautiful job on restoring the temples' antique drums; maybe this is the path you seek, Grasshopper ? "
Yeah, I was at the shop sitting on the floor with a pair of tabla for over a half an hour getting frustrated. Not that I knew it wouldn't take time and study, but I couldn't just sit there and get an acceptable tone out of a single stroke. Maybe if I were ten.....