DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM

Default Questions about starting up

Hi I'm new here at the community, but also to drumming itself.

As my name suggests, I'm a bass player, but I play guitar as well. And now I want to dabble in a bit of drumming. The main reason why is that I play music with a bunch of mates at our school's music rooms, we have guitarists, bassists, keyboardists, but no drummers. Of course I've always wanted to learn drumming, especially since I'm addicted to Tool (their drums and bass is mind blowing).

As of far I can play the basic rock beat in quarter and eight notes, I've also managed to apply that to triplets and a swing. Now just pumping out a beat alone doesn't make a song, even for improve, so what's a good resource for learning fills? And evidentally quite a controversial topic, should I learn rudiments (why should I), and if yes how should I go about learning rudiments?

Finally, what are some good beginner level songs that I should learn? I live Metal, mostly 80's thrash, I like jazz and blues (especially the drums), and of course I like pretty much all rock sub-genres.

I look forward to hearing from you all.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Questions about starting up

First advice is get a teacher! Seriously.

Second, take a song, learn the fills in it, slow them down to get the complicated stuff right. Speed takes time and repetition at lower speeds.

Third, practice every day.

Listen to the music you want to learn to understand the style. Especially Jazz, it's a separate language from all the rest.

Have fun!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
First advice is get a teacher! Seriously.

Second, take a song, learn the fills in it, slow them down to get the complicated stuff right. Speed takes time and repetition at lower speeds.

Third, practice every day.

Listen to the music you want to learn to understand the style. Especially Jazz, it's a separate language from all the rest.

Have fun!
Hey man great advice, albeit I won't be able to get a teacher (money/availability) or practice everyday.

But do you have any easy "starter" songs that you can recommend me? Something rock or bluesy?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

It sounds like you already know how to count a beat and it's divisions. So keep doing that. Take a bar, count it out and apply stuff other than the beat to that same count. I think it's more important to develop your own creativity than to copy the fills of others, though they can also be good learning tools.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 AM
Silver Member

There are plenty of basic songs. When you start listening to the drums a lot, you start noticing that lots of songs are pretty basic. Now with jazz you cannot learn it as quickly or easily as most rock stuff. It is totally different, but if you can't get a teacher, look for reputable drummers on YouTube and look at things like hand and foot technique, various rudiments and start learning to play with a metronome. Get the basic stuff solid, and then you can go to harder stuff without having to change technique because you started wrong or being limited in what you can do. Make sure you practice whenever you can also.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

You can learn a few basic rudiments off of YouTube. Single stroke, double stroke, paradiddle and the paradiddlediddle or 6 stroke variation (RLRRLL, there you just learned it) which is really useful in jazz and other things with triplet feels.

You can even practice these with your hands on your knees to get the time and structure into muscle memory. Some years ago, a fellow suggesting getting a pair of sticks and tapping an imaginary upside down drum in the air. I haven't done much of this but I suspect the intent is similar to Jim Chapin's "hot stove" allegory. Learning to lift the sticks as opposed to just burying them in the drum or relying on random bounces.

Even one lesson or two with a teacher gives a lot of leverage in not developing bad habits. If nothing more that learning to hold the stick and strike the drum properly so you don't end up with injury later. There are YouTube's that show proper technique (some from instructors on this board) but there's no way to tell if you have picked it up correctly beyond having someone that knows correct technique watching you drum. I suppose you could put up some videos here in the technique section and have people critique it.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassStringThump View Post
Hey man great advice, albeit I won't be able to get a teacher (money/availability) or practice everyday.

But do you have any easy "starter" songs that you can recommend me? Something rock or bluesy?
Don't know if classic punk rock is up your alley, but The Ramone's Blitzkrieg Bop or I Wanna Be Sedated is very easy.

More on the metal side, Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls is a nice slow-paced song with a few fills to work on.

Something bluesy, I'd go with Joe Walsh, Rocky Mountain Way.

I offer these songs because they're in my band's set list.....thus they must be easy. :)