DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:07 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Die cast hoop question

I most definitely prefer a die cast hoop on my snare. I have a few snares w/ stamped hoops and want to change them out but don't want to spring for bottom hoops if they won't make a difference to my ear. In everyone's experience/opinion, if I use a die cast on just the top head, do you think it will give me essentially the same sound as with a die cast on the bottom as well? I'm thinking the bottom hoop shouldn't matter much sonically since the bottom head isn't struck and I normally don't do rimshots on my bottom head (Try that Thomas Lang!)

(I just know someone will come up with a clip of someone doing a rimshot on their bottom snare head now, there's nothing new under the sun)
Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Die cast hoop question

I don't think it makes much difference at all. When I put die cast hoops on my 14x6.5 brass, I compared the sound with just the top hoop before I put the bottom one on and I believe that the focus and any dryness it adds is mostly derived from the top hoop.

I put the bottom one on finally to just complete the look of the drum.

If your other snares are 10 lug like your Pearl then you can use your bottom of that to compare. I guess you already thought of this, so I bet they're 8 lug snares.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

On my DW snare, I changed out the top hoop for a die-cast, but never changed the bottom hoop. I certainly prefer having the die-cast on top.

I never felt like my snare was lacking from using the triple flanged on the bottom.

I would think in theory there would be a difference, but it would be subtle, and not a big enough difference to justify the cost of the bottom die-cast hoop.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

My Tama Stewart Copeland snare comes original with a die cast hoop on top and a triple flanged on the bottom. I did experiment with a die cast on the bottom and Tama was right - the drum opens up more with the regular hoop on the bottom. It sounded a little choked with die cast hoops on top and bottom so I went back to the original way. It's such a versatile drum. And in reality, you can't really tell that there are two different hoops on it (the whole thing being chromed, anyway).

I'm in the process of picking up a wood snare and might do the same thing with a die cast hoop on top only. I'm hooked on the die cast hoops!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

As hoop mass mainly affects head resonance, the greatest difference is noticed on the snare's batter head. Not because that's the one that's struck, but because the reso head's resonance is already held in check by the snare wires. For playing with wires on, the difference in all but the thinnest of wood shelled drums isn't that pronounced. If you play with wires off however, the difference becomes substantially more apparent.

Tuning also has a big part to play too. If you tune tight, you're already taking the drum close to the choke point, so you'll notice the increased hoop mass less. That said, the addition of cast hoops can curtail the upper tuning range of any drum.

If you like the rim shot & cross stick feel/sound of a cast hoop, but you want to open the drum up a bit, consider aluminium cast hoops.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:04 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Thanks guys, just as I suspected. Andy when you say, open the drum up a bit...would you say that the sound of a drum with triple flanged hoops is "opened up"?. If so then no I don't want it opened up. Whatever die cast does to the tone of a snare drum, that's what I want.

And Philippe the snares that need die casts are 10 lug. Yes I could have tried the experiment myself using my 10 lug die cast, but I would have missed out on the pleasure of interacting with my buds. That, plus it was easier this way lol.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
My Tama Stewart Copeland snare comes original with a die cast hoop on top and a triple flanged on the bottom. I did experiment with a die cast on the bottom and Tama was right - the drum opens up more with the regular hoop on the bottom. It sounded a little choked with die cast hoops on top and bottom so I went back to the original way. It's such a versatile drum. And in reality, you can't really tell that there are two different hoops on it (the whole thing being chromed, anyway).

I'm in the process of picking up a wood snare and might do the same thing with a die cast hoop on top only. I'm hooked on the die cast hoops!
I use a Die Cast on the top of my DW "Aluminator" for this very reason and opted to not put one on the bottom for the very reasons stated elsewhere.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
Old 06-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Thanks guys, just as I suspected. Andy when you say, open the drum up a bit...would you say that the sound of a drum with triple flanged hoops is "opened up"?. If so then no I don't want it opened up. Whatever die cast does to the tone of a snare drum, that's what I want.

And Philippe the snares that need die casts are 10 lug. Yes I could have tried the experiment myself using my 10 lug die cast, but I would have missed out on the pleasure of interacting with my buds. That, plus it was easier this way lol.
Yes Larry, that's exactly what I mean. Increased hoop mass reduces head sustain, & ultimately, overtones. Both the overtones you might want, & the overtones you probably don't want. You could say they "dry out" or "focus" the drum more towards it's fundamental tone. Of course, this can be a very good thing on a snare (I certainly think so for most applications), but it's the same affect on toms, & that can sometimes be a bad thing, depending on whether you want a lot of sustain or not. Sustain is a double edged sword though. On most drums, increased sustain means increased overtones, again, some you might want (depth & warmth), & some you probably don't (high frequencies/ringing).

You're a very naughty boy for not trying this out for yourself! Great to "speak" with you though mate!