DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:05 AM
Ken Douglass Ken Douglass is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Default Newbie needs advice

Hello all. Today is my 50th birthday and, after soooo many years of loving the drums, I want to (finally) learn to play. I don't have a drumset, only sticks. I need advice on what I should do to learn properly. Please help!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:09 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,361
Default Re: Newbie needs advice

To learn properly? Get a good teacher

Pay your money and learn correctly from the get go. Don't follow the "I'll teach myself via youtube vids" path. Too many think they can and too many end up lacking the basic skills to carry them through.

Regardless of whether you just want to play in your basement or whether you are looking to set the world alight, this is one situation where it pays to have the guidance and experience of a qualified teacher..

And many happy returns for the day!! :-)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:23 AM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,894
Default Re: Newbie needs advice

Happy Birthday and congrats! At 43, I'm just learning as well (about 3 months in). I would strongly encourage you to find a qualified teacher and take lessons as well. I'm sure, like me, you would love to just jump in and start playing songs but learning the rudiments and all the basics is really important. So many things I THOUGHT I knew just from loving the instrument and watching others and boy was I wrong! It's amazing what I didn't know...lol.

Whatever you do...good luck and have lots of fun and look here for advice....these guys are a great support system and can answer most questions.
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:43 AM
ineedaclutch's Avatar
ineedaclutch ineedaclutch is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: My living room
Posts: 1,673
Default Re: Newbie needs advice

I agree with the "find a great teacher" method. Don't hire your first instructor from craigslist, although you might find a great one. Also, don't think that once you take a lesson from an instructor you can't stop looking for another teacher. It is best to try out several instructors to see which one's teaching style you relate to. Talk to drummers in your area or give a call to your local Uni or high school. I highly advise the Uni or HS route. They will usually be able to pass you a number of a colleague who teaches privately.

And... Happy Birthday!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2011, 04:39 PM
74f100 74f100 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 9
Default Re: Newbie needs advice

I also learned/ learning drums "later" in life. The teacher is the first step, you will do things based on the way you hear things, which may or may not be correct.

I went to watch local bands play, then talked to their drummers. Turned out one of the drummers that really impressed me with his play, was also a drum teacher.

You will want to find a teacher that is "in to" the same style you are. A rock drummer will have a hard time teaching jazz.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:19 PM
vorsybl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Newbie needs advice

Yeah Id agree with most people in saying get an instructor. I've been taking lessons through my college for the past 2 and a half years and am a much better player now
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:28 PM
DanJacobs DanJacobs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ipswich, UK
Posts: 80
Default Re: Newbie needs advice

Hi Ken and a warm welcome to the forum.

I would also suggest getting a good teacher as nothing 'beats' :) one on one lessons.

However depending on your budget etc etc and if you have never played before i would also suggest a Beginners Package DVD - further details can be found here

Wishing you the very best of luck!

Dan
__________________
www.dansdrumlessons.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:48 PM
jeffwj's Avatar
jeffwj jeffwj is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,047
Default Re: Newbie needs advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
To learn properly? Get a good teacher

Pay your money and learn correctly from the get go. Don't follow the "I'll teach myself via youtube vids" path. Too many think they can and too many end up lacking the basic skills to carry them through.

Regardless of whether you just want to play in your basement or whether you are looking to set the world alight, this is one situation where it pays to have the guidance and experience of a qualified teacher..

And many happy returns for the day!! :-)
I would write a response, but Pocket's post says it all! Best musical wishes and happy birthday!

Jeff
__________________
Johnson Drum Instruction - Drum Lessons in Richmond, VA
Author of "The Level System"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:52 PM
jeffwj's Avatar
jeffwj jeffwj is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,047
Default Re: Newbie needs advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
Don't hire your first instructor from craigslist...
Unless you live in Richmond - haha. I advertise on Craigslist all the time and get many students from it. But I also have an extensive resume. There are many people who post drum lessons on Craigslist with no experience and hope that people will come to them because they charge $15 an hour. No matter where you look for a drum teacher, ask about his/her education and experience.

Jeff
__________________
Johnson Drum Instruction - Drum Lessons in Richmond, VA
Author of "The Level System"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 PM
vorsybl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Newbie needs advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJacobs View Post
Hi Ken and a warm welcome to the forum.

I would also suggest getting a good teacher as nothing 'beats' :) one on one lessons.

However depending on your budget etc etc and if you have never played before i would also suggest a Beginners Package DVD - further details can be found here

Wishing you the very best of luck!

Dan
Nice advertisement lol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-19-2011, 03:48 AM
74f100 74f100 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 9
Default Re: Newbie needs advice

Quote:
Unless you live in Richmond - haha. I advertise on Craigslist all the time and get many students from it. But I also have an extensive resume. There are many people who post drum lessons on Craigslist with no experience and hope that people will come to them because they charge $15 an hour. No matter where you look for a drum teacher, ask about his/her education and experience.

I'm just south of Richmond,,,, where do you teach?

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-19-2011, 03:51 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,361
Default Re: Newbie needs advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74f100 View Post
I'm just south of Richmond,,,, where do you teach?

Thanks,
Jim
It's all there in his sig, Jim: http://sites.google.com/site/johnsondruminstruction/

Enjoy your lessons. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-19-2011, 04:22 AM
74f100 74f100 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 9
Default Re: Newbie needs advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
It's all there in his sig, Jim: http://sites.google.com/site/johnsondruminstruction/

Enjoy your lessons. ;-)

LOL,,,, yeah, I noticed that AFTER I replied. That age thing kicking in again.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com