DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 07-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Straight time or Half time?

I don't know why I'm having an issue with this but I was jamming on a couple Black Crowes tunes a while back and was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

Two different tunes:

Remedy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qD72NCJSkk

A Conspiracy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUyhNUjAv0M

Same issue. How should they be counted? Does anyone know the 'correct' tempo? Are they both around 80 bpm or 160 bpm? Or does it really matter?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Straight time or Half time?

it probably doesn't matter, but i would count it so the snare drum hits fall on 2 and 4. that would be probably more like 80 bpm.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member

I would actually count Conspiracy in a slow 4 during the verses- that puts a nice big dumb 1 at the beginning of the riff. There's a measure of 9/4 (or 2/2+3/4 if you prefer) leading into the pre-chorus- count a fast 9 @1:00 and 2:20. You may have an easier time of nailing that if you count the verses in a fast 8 at first, then switch to the slow 4 or 2. The pre-chorus is 2/2, with the snare drum landing on the half notes. The actual chorus is a standard half-time feel, counted in 2. There is a 3/4 measure at the end of the chorus, which just follows the snare fill exactly- count a fast 3 at 1:45. The intro is five measures of 4/4 or 2/2, with a 3/4 measure at the end (at 0:13).

Just so it's clear, the primary pulse during the half-time feel, 2/2, 4/2, cut time, slow 2, slow 4 (or whatever you decide to call it), is half notes @ 80. If you count a fast 4/4 or 8/4 during the body of the tune, and during the 3/4 and 9/4 measures, the pulse is quarter notes @ 160.

I don't know if you need all that info, but what the hey. I didn't listen to all of Remedy, but at the beginning a least it's in 2/2.

Usually when you're playing a half-time feel, it's good/"correct" to count in 2. Conspiracy can go either way, except on the choruses- counting/feeling half notes will encourage you to play more broadly; counting the quarters will encourage a more energetic/jumpy feel, with the fast tempo asserting itself more.

Last edited by toddbishop; 07-20-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
I would actually count Conspiracy in a slow 4 during the verses- that puts a nice big dumb 1 at the beginning of the riff. There's a measure of 9/4 (or 2/2+3/4 if you prefer) leading into the pre-chorus- count a fast 9 @1:00 and 2:20. You may have an easier time of nailing that if you count the verses in a fast 8 at first, then switch to the slow 4 or 2. The pre-chorus is 2/2, with the snare drum landing on the half notes. The actual chorus is a standard half-time feel, counted in 2. There is a 3/4 measure at the end of the chorus, which just follows the snare fill exactly- count a fast 3 at 1:45. The intro is five measures of 4/4 or 2/2, with a 3/4 measure at the end (at 0:13).

Just so it's clear, the primary pulse during the half-time feel, 2/2, 4/2, cut time, slow 2, slow 4 (or whatever you decide to call it), is half notes @ 80. If you count a fast 4/4 or 8/4 during the body of the tune, and during the 3/4 and 9/4 measures, the pulse is quarter notes @ 160.

I don't know if you need all that info, but what the hey. I didn't listen to all of Remedy, but at the beginning a least it's in 2/2.

Usually when you're playing a half-time feel, it's good/"correct" to count in 2. Conspiracy can go either way, except on the choruses- counting/feeling half notes will encourage you to play more broadly; counting the quarters will encourage a more energetic/jumpy feel, with the fast tempo asserting itself more.
That was awesome....

Thanks so much. That makes sense now as to why I was having issues counting that out. I didn't really expect the odd-time measure. I was trying to hear it as 4/4 with...accents in weird places.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

Great, I'm glad that even made sense, and helped!