DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:23 AM

Default seamless snare drum

yea i know this is a dumb Question but what is a seamless snare drum , im a visual learner so pics would be greatly apreaciated
Old 11-12-2009, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: seamless snare drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAST View Post
yea i know this is a dumb Question but what is a seamless snare drum , im a visual learner so pics would be greatly apreaciated
A seamed shell starts with a flat peice of sheet metal that is bent around and welded along the joining edge to create the shell.

A seamless shell starts off with a solid ingot of metal (looks like a hockey puck, I believe) that is put into a machine much like a centrifuge that spins very quickly and shapes the solid peice into the shell. Hence there is no join.

If you are after a visual cue here, the best I can offer is imagine a potter's wheel. A lump of clay is placed on the wheel, which then spins and the potter shapes it into a bowl.

At least that is my understanding, by no means am I an expert on the topic. Hope that helps some.

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 11-12-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
If you are after a visual cue here, the best I can offer is imagine a potter's wheel. A lump of clay is placed on the wheel, which then spins and the potter shapes it into a bowl.
That's a good visual image, Pocket. I'm seeing the potter's wheel. There's Demi Moore moulding a snare drum, Patrick Swayze comes in from behind to the strains of The Righteous Brothers and completely messes it up.

Later on, many miles away, a drummer wonders why the tension rods won't screw into the lugs properly ...

Sorry. I'm in a silly mood.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 AM

Solid shell, lathed out of a single log of wood (generally, but not always rock maple).

examples: http://www.lukapercussion.com/en/homepage.html. Go into this site and click on the link labelled "Fabrication". His process, plus visual examples are there.

DW has a "Super Solid" shell in their Collector series, however it does have a seam. Depends on how wide you wish the term 'solid' to mean

Last edited by elpol; 11-12-2009 at 08:11 AM. Reason: oh, how could i forget DW...
Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
That's a good visual image, Pocket. I'm seeing the potter's wheel. There's Demi Moore moulding a snare drum, Patrick Swayze comes in from behind to the strains of The Righteous Brothers and completely messes it up.

Later on, many miles away, a drummer wonders why the tension rods won't screw into the lugs properly ...

And thanks Polly, for inserting that damned song into my head...
Old 11-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Speaking of good visual images Poll.......the thought of Demi Moore spinning my Black Beauty is like a little peek into heaven!! Two perfect pieces of craftsmanship. Ha!.......... Alas my little girl is calling me back to reality...........

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 11-12-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

There's a thread here - Seamless Snare Drum Process with links to vids about their manufacture and preparation:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=36679

Pocket, I thought poor old Patrick Swayze was a bit of alright too but I wouldn't want him moulding my snare drum. His talents lay elsewhere.

Elpol, I wouldn't be so sadistic as to sing "Ohhhh, myyy lo-ooove, my da-arlinggg ..." at you so I won't hehehehehehe
Old 11-12-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
There's a thread here - Seamless Snare Drum Process with links to vids about their manufacture and preparation:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=36679

Pocket, I thought poor old Patrick Swayze was a bit of alright too but I wouldn't want him moulding my snare drum. His talents lay elsewhere.

Elpol, I wouldn't be so sadistic as to sing "Ohhhh, myyy lo-ooove, my da-arlinggg ..." at you so I won't hehehehehehe
Oh, you're just loving this, aren't you...
Old 11-12-2009, 02:57 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Yea Polly needs a good hard tickle for that
Old 11-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

On my....I'm rolling on the floor laughing after that one..... hahahahahahahahaha
Old 11-12-2009, 10:08 PM

nice images.... lol

seamless snares... hmmmmm. There are also seamless acrylic shell snares, (and other drums) made by some companies.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member

Hehehe ... now that I've stirred things up I'll be sensible. Has anyone seen those snares that have no body? Like a roto-tom except there's a lower head with snares below.

In the 80s we were alone is our large practice rooms and we decided to go exploring. We found a room with the gear of a top Aussie band at the time and I couldn't resist tapping the snare (not hard because I didn't want to mess anything up). It sounded like a cannon!

A bit offtopic, but it didn't have any seams ...
Old 11-13-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I'd say his talents lie 6 feet under right about now...
Old 11-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Regarding shells and their description: http://www.drumjunction.com/drum_shells.html