DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 PM

Default Whats a good used set?

Hi all. I am brand new here, but have been lurking for a little while. I am an intermediate bassist wanting to play drums. I am ready to spend $2-500 for a used complete set. My question is what should I look for as I know little about them. I, of course will take my drummer with me, but can you recommend brands or lines that have stood the test of time? I want a simple 5 piece, don't care if it is a little beat up, but of decent quality. I have been looking at Yamaha, Tama, Pearl, Sonor etc. Need your suggestions. Oh yeah, I am a hard rock bassist, but also starting to study Jazz as background for what direction I will most likely head in. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Whats a good used set?

$200-$500 isn't a lot to go on. You might get lucky and be able to score a complete decent kit w/cymbals on craigslist for that price, but not likely. You're looking at the beginner level of used kits, cymbals, and hardware. I would recommend picking up a cheap 5 piece used kit (percussion plus, sound percussion, gammon, rockwood, etc...) for around $150 or $200, and spending the other $300 or so on a couple of nice used cymbals (old Zildjian As or something comparable--you should, with some searching, be able to find a ride/crash/hats combo in the $300 neighborhood--stay away from ZBT, ZHT, B8, and Alpha cymbals).

Good luck! Have fun on your search, and let us know what you get!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 02-27-2009, 06:09 PM

Am I to interpret that as saying I would be better off if limited budget wise to get decent cymbals now and upgrade the drums later? I was thinking the other way around, but hey what do I know? If that is the case, what are the better of the cheap brands without being garbage? Really I am doing this to improve as a bassist, but I always wanted to play drums, so who knows where it will actually go. Thanks for your time.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:22 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddarryl View Post
Am I to interpret that as saying I would be better off if limited budget wise to get decent cymbals now and upgrade the drums later? I was thinking the other way around, but hey what do I know? If that is the case, what are the better of the cheap brands without being garbage? Really I am doing this to improve as a bassist, but I always wanted to play drums, so who knows where it will actually go. Thanks for your time.
Here is the logic:

Crap cymbals sound like crap no matter what you do.

I can get a set of affordable drums to sound spectacular through a sound system. If you are ever going to mic, don't worry about the drums as much as the cymbals.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddarryl View Post
The logic behind my reasoning is that cymbals will sound like they do, and the cheap ones don't sound very good at all. Cheap drums can be tuned differently, or have their heads changed, and sound decent. If you're playing on an better-sounding instrument, it will inspire you to play it more. If you get stuck playing on cymbals that make you cringe every time you hit them, chances are your drumming stint won't last very long. Who knows? Maybe you've got "it" in you to drum. We don't want to stifle that...

Also, resale-wise, if you buy a used cheapo kit for $150, chances are you can re-sell it and get your money back. If you buy some used quality cymbals, chances are you can get your money back for those, too, provided you spend around $100 per cymbal (or high hat pair for $125). If you buy some cheapo cymbals, new OR used, they're much harder to sell, as there's not much of a market for them...

If you decide to stick with drumming and want to upgrade your stuff, you'll be spending a LOT more dough on a kit, whereas your cymbals you can change out (or add) piece-by-piece.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
The logic behind my reasoning is that cymbals will sound like they do, and the cheap ones don't sound very good at all. Cheap drums can be tuned differently, or have their heads changed, and sound decent. If you're playing on an better-sounding instrument, it will inspire you to play it more. If you get stuck playing on cymbals that make you cringe every time you hit them, chances are your drumming stint won't last very long. Who knows? Maybe you've got "it" in you to drum. We don't want to stifle that...

Also, resale-wise, if you buy a used cheapo kit for $150, chances are you can re-sell it and get your money back. If you buy some used quality cymbals, chances are you can get your money back for those, too, provided you spend around $100 per cymbal (or high hat pair for $125). If you buy some cheapo cymbals, new OR used, they're much harder to sell, as there's not much of a market for them...

If you decide to stick with drumming and want to upgrade your stuff, you'll be spending a LOT more dough on a kit, whereas your cymbals you can change out (or add) piece-by-piece.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much, and yes that certainly does help.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:20 AM

Well guys I finally ran across a set that I couldn't refuse:$80 how good I go wrong! An el cheapo CB Drums 5 pc with all hardware, cymbals (yes they are junk), throne etc. Actually in fairly good shape.Also has a 20" Sabian B8 ride. Got it for my kids mostly, but I will start working on it a bit as well. Will be lurking and contributing more here I am sure. Thanks. Pics later. It's no beauty, but it's mine!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Sweet! Congrats! Have fun with it. It may not be pretty or sound the best, as you say, but it's an axe to play on for sure! Be sure to check out the videos on this site to give you some lessons and inspiration.