DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 03-29-2009, 05:19 AM

Default Leading single strokes with left hand.....

Anyone have any tips or practicing strategies they use/used to learn how to lead single strokes with their weak hand?

I have a really hard time learning to lead singles with my left hand; after a while my right hand starts trying to push my left hand out and play on the down beats.

I've decided to try it slow, playing 8th notes at 100bpm but here's the thing...

After about 5mins of playing this sticking nice and even and really getting comfortable with it my mind begins to make me feel the down beats on the space between the metronome clicks. So, even though according to the click I'm leading with my left hand on the down beat, I'm still playing my left hand as a reference to my right.

I need help learning how to think with my left hand!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Leading single strokes with left hand.....

Try to play just with your left hand.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM

The only thing is to practice slower. Start with your right, but in 7/8, get the feel right, accent the leading hand. Of course you can do as many strokes with each hand as you want but on the last stroke do a double to begin with the left/right.

Try leaving your right hand out of the equation and play all the sixteenths with the weaker hand.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 PM

Try playing singles to a song you know instead of the metronome. Try and pick a song that is straight in time and feel and that you know well enough that it gets stuck in your head. It may not be a song you like a lot. Pick something easy.

The song will be less abstract than a metronome and so it will feel weirder to play along on the up beat so to speak as you describe above.

Try working in doubles and paradiddles too. You will probably find out how many songs use various rudiments at some point or another.

Also, once you get used to this you can practice anywhere the radio is on, which is pretty much anywhere.

Lastly, I find this helps to get singles, doubles, or any other stoke sounding musical and in the pocket, which is as important as being on time.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:46 AM

How well do you know your rudiments? All the exercises and practice I have done include both right and left hand lead, so I've never really thought about it.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica McCoy View Post
How well do you know your rudiments? All the exercises and practice I have done include both right and left hand lead, so I've never really thought about it.
That is the correct answer to "the problem".

People just simply should learn both ways... even if they play conventional, right-handed drum kits.

Ringo led with his left, but it didn't affect his groove at all. I think people should be open to learning whatever method is natural, coupled with technical attention.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Silver Member

try this exercise.
LrLr.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

Here is an exercise I created to develop single strokes because it builds in the alternation and will develop both hands equally. It's called "5,5,3", and it has become very popular with teachers and students, sort of an "international warm up" used by many drummers around the globe because its easy to learn !

Here is the clip from my DVD, "Hands, Grooves & Fills" on Hudson Music

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLjeECMlJQk
Old 04-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avendesoran View Post
Anyone have any tips or practicing strategies they use/used to learn how to lead single strokes with their weak hand?

I have a really hard time learning to lead singles with my left hand; after a while my right hand starts trying to push my left hand out and play on the down beats.

I've decided to try it slow, playing 8th notes at 100bpm but here's the thing...

After about 5mins of playing this sticking nice and even and really getting comfortable with it my mind begins to make me feel the down beats on the space between the metronome clicks. So, even though according to the click I'm leading with my left hand on the down beat, I'm still playing my left hand as a reference to my right.

I need help learning how to think with my left hand!!!
There are some excellent exercises from Bill Bachman (of this shire) in Modern Drummer this month dealing with the development of the single-stroke roll. The exercises work both hands and work on the same principle I've used for years. Check them out. Essentially, you play repetitive serious of notes with one hand and "drop in" notes of the next subdivision down in progressive form to create a single-stroke roll. His exercises alternate hands equally. However, if you're really trying to target your LH, try the following:

Play one bar of 1/8th notes with your LH alone. (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +)

Next you play the same thing with the LH but "drop in" one 16th note at the end with the RH. (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +a)

In the next bar you drop in the last two 16ths with the RH. (1 + 2 + 3 + 4e+a)

In the next bar you drop in the last 3 16ths and so on. You carry on with this procedure until you're playing the entire bar as 16th notes. Then you reverse the procedure, removing one 16th (either at the end or the beginning) at each pass until you're playing all 8th notes with the LH again.

Take it easy at first, your LH endurance will and should be tested. Once you've played the exercise a few times, you can simply count the number of 8ths before you play 16ths in each bar (8, then 7, then 6...5...4...etc.) and concentrate on relaxation, evenness and technique. Make the same stroke with each hand consistently, and if you start to adjust your technique to compensate for the tempo or endurance, slow down.

Once you've got a handle on that, up the ante by using a bar of 16ths on one hand and dropping in 32nd notes so that you're playing double the number of notes. You can also subdivide into 3's playing 8th-note triplets on the LH and dropping in 16th-note triplets (sextuplets). You can add accents, play the whole thing using finger technique, or just wrists, or full strokes, or whatever you want to do. A really good exercise for the drumset is to move around the snare and toms so that beat 1 and all notes connected to it are on the SD, beat 2 is on the HT, beat 3 on the MT and beat 4 on the FT. This is a challenge leading with the LH, and you can also reverse the order and start on the FT.

Last edited by Boomka; 04-02-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Petrillo View Post
Here is an exercise I created to develop single strokes because it builds in the alternation and will develop both hands equally. It's called "5,5,3", and it has become very popular with teachers and students, sort of an "international warm up" used by many drummers around the globe because its easy to learn !

Here is the clip from my DVD, "Hands, Grooves & Fills" on Hudson Music

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLjeECMlJQk
It's an excellent exercise, Pat. I've been using it with my students for about a year now and it's produced very good results! Thanks.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

The trick here is that you need to work on more than just single strokes with your left hand. As Monica mentioned, the standard way to learn your rudiments is alternating left hand lead/right hand lead, etc. Do this, and also try to learn some simple songs on kit playing with your hands reversed.

In the end, you don't just want to be able to start fast singles with your left...what you are talking about is independence. If your right hand is always tied to the downbeat, it will limit what you can do, just like if your left foot is tied to 2 and 4, it will limit whole styles of music for you. To me, when a drummer talks about independence, they are talking about being able to play any pattern on any time on any drum or cymbal, while their other limbs do the same.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 04-01-2009, 06:09 PM

I would focus on the entire single stroke roll development,
in leading and subdivition.

I like this ex:

2 measures of 16th notes

starting

1e+a - 2e+a with R L R L - R L R L

Then double the last 16th (a of 2) and keep the single stroke permutation, that
will put all backwards:

1e+a - 2e+a(double) with R L R L - R L R LR next measures: L R L R - L R L RL

Keep adding doubles from back to top (sorry my english)

finally you woulkd play 2 measures of 32nds, and then start putting away doubles:

RL RL RL RL - RL RL RL RL

Becomes:

RL RL RL RL - RL RL RL R next measures LR LR LR LR - LR LR LR L

and so on to returun to 16th: R L R L - R L R L

Its a very nice ex.

Hope works sorry my english, keep the good work guys!

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:43 AM

Wow this is great I have so many exercises to work with thanks so much guys!!!!

to TromTrom:
Yes, I practice all my stickings to songs it's a great way to practice and ENJOY the boring parts of practice. I've worked with my doubles and for some reason I can lead with my doubles much easier with my left hand.

To Monica McCoy:
This has been my bigges challenge. I taught myself how to drum simply to play with a band back in high school. I just learned Iron Maiden and Metallica songs and we did covers till we started writing our own music. That went on for 4 years till our band broke up and I decided to take drumming very seriously. In all my songs I've never had to lead fills with my left hand and I never learned any rudiments! The funny thing is I play open handed with my left hand on the hi hat.
AKA my left hand is about 4 years behind my righ. (I also broke my left hand 2 yeas ago -- 4 screws in the bones -- my left hand is much weaker than my right but I'm seriously working on correcting that).

To Pat Petrillo
That looks like a great exercise! I'm going to try it. Also, in that video I notice you have a funky practice pad. What's that all about? different surfaces do what?

To Boomka
Hahaha! Guess what I've been practicing since I posted this topc!? Soon after I made this topic I was reading my digital copy of modern drummer and I found Bill Bachman's new series on rudiments. I love this exercise! the 12/8 one is great because it's also improving my 3 stroke moeller on both hands!

To mrchattr
Yeah, I know where you're coming from, I definately don't want to just play fast singles with my left, I'm more trying to get my let hand to catch up with my right. When I get to paradiddles my right lead is very strong and when it switches to my left it is much weaker. I feel unproductive when I practice these alternating patterns for a long time because it feels like my right just keeps getting better and better and better where my left is pogressing very slowly. I figured the best way to get my two hands at par would be to first get their singles at the same speed then work on alternating patterns.
That being said, I do still practice my 5/9/13/17 stroke rolls & paradiddles on occasion but right now my focus is on Rudiment #1 Singles and getting my hands equal

To Hercraft
I'm having trouble understanding your exercise but it sounds similar to the one offered by Bill Bachman in Modern Drummer. His second one uses 16th and 32nd notes. Starts wih 4/4 bar of 16ths all one hand led then switches to other hand lead. After one bar on each hand the next bar turns the last two notes into 32nds so you get
R R R R - R R R R - R R R R - R R R LR, repeat with left hand.
progessively add one set of 32nds
R R R R - R R R R - R R R R - R R LRLR, repeat with left lead
R R R R - R R R R - R R R R - R LRLRLR, repeat with left lead.... etc.

I love these exercises and I'm dong twice as my runs with my left hand lead as my right hand to try and get my left up to par with my right.

Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions I just wish I had more time to practice!!! I can spend hours with these exercises and the right playlist on my ipod.

Cheers,
Marlon

Last edited by Avendesoran; 04-04-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: I screwed up bill bachmans exercise: Right hand lead 16ths turn into left han led 32nds... It's Cool!