DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 04-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Default how does one play a Rhumba beat?

So I am playing drumset for song called Godzilla eats Las Vegas, and it calls me to make up a rhumba pattern (infact half the song tells me to improv something in certain styles, it even tells me to play an "Insane Latin solo" for 30 measures). Anyways, I have no idea about the style of Rhumba, all I really need is a basic pattern. The internet fails me and I don't want to buy a book on it.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: how does one play a Rhumba beat?

ugh... This word really bugs me. A lot of times words like "latin" and "rumba" get abused, or at the very least mis-used. I'm not familiar with the tune, but my guess would be that a standard songo would cover it fine. Google or searh that term here "Songo" or youtube it and see what you get. Make sure you specify drum set because songo was developed for congas originally.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2021 View Post
So I am playing drumset for song called Godzilla eats Las Vegas, and it calls me to make up a rhumba pattern (infact half the song tells me to improv something in certain styles, it even tells me to play an "Insane Latin solo" for 30 measures). Anyways, I have no idea about the style of Rhumba, all I really need is a basic pattern. The internet fails me and I don't want to buy a book on it.
Well, the first question is, "what kind of Rhumba?" But that's the kind of thing that geeky drummers and Afro-cuban aficianados ask...

What the composer/arranger likely has in mind is the 1950's-60's style rhumba groove that was played on songs like Unchain My Heart by Ray Charles.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
ugh... This word really bugs me. A lot of times words like "latin" and "rumba" get abused, or at the very least mis-used. I'm not familiar with the tune, but my guess would be that a standard songo would cover it fine. Google or searh that term here "Songo" or youtube it and see what you get. Make sure you specify drum set because songo was developed for congas originally.
I hear you! Whenever I see "rhumba", I think of the preset rhythm you can find on those fantastic Bontempi or Lowrey living-room organs of yesteryear...

Seriously though, I've been watching some YouTube recordings of the work. I can hear Swing, some Tango, some ballroom-style Mambo, some sort of campy-textbook Samba bit that 'quotes' the old bar-mitzvah standard "Tequila". What I think you're asking is an old ballroom style that can be approached in several ways, one of which could be: (cut time or reg. 4/4)

**I can't seem to get a weird tab version of the rhythm to display properly**

I'll try to describe it: 2-bar pattern. RH on Hat or Ride plays "1 &a 2 & 3 & 4 &"
LH on side-stick plays a standard 3/2 clave pattern (hit on bolded counts) "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &"

The right foot can be played most simply on counts 1 and 3 of each measure.

The above would be a simple version of the old ballroom 'rhumba' (which shouldn't be confused with the Afro-Cuban 'Rumba', as they are completely different animals)

Last edited by elpol; 04-02-2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: trying to add something actually useful...
Old 04-03-2009, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomka View Post
Well, the first question is, "what kind of Rhumba?" But that's the kind of thing that geeky drummers and Afro-cuban aficianados ask...

What the composer/arranger likely has in mind is the 1950's-60's style rhumba groove that was played on songs like Unchain My Heart by Ray Charles.
I agree. No disrespect to Garvin, but you cannot substitute a songo for a club date style rhumba. The club date rhumba is usually played 1 &a 2 & 3 & 4& on a snare with snares off. The 2 can be played as a cross stick and the "& 4'" or "4 &" can be played on the tom. The bass pattern is 1, 3, 4.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwj View Post
I agree. No disrespect to Garvin, but you cannot substitute a songo for a club date style rhumba. The club date rhumba is usually played 1 &a 2 & 3 & 4& on a snare with snares off. The 2 can be played as a cross stick and the "& 4'" or "4 &" can be played on the tom. The bass pattern is 1, 3, 4.

Jeff
Leave it to another ship guy to know that one inside and out. I still have nightmares where Perfidia is playing in the background...