Gorilla snot

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Does anyone use Gorilla Snot?

We have a new guitar player who insists on using it and strongly recommended I use it simply because I dropped 3 sticks during rehearsal. The next day's performance I didn't drop 1 and rarely do. I go thru many stick motions, change grips, etc. that it may hamper my ability to change rapidly.

And why is it guitar players - namely the younger ones - always think they know EVERYTHING about drums and drumming? Moreso than actual drummers? I can't express here how #@$)(*^&%$#$%^ annoying that is!

I'm using a 20 inch 3-ply kick drum with Evans and Remo heads with the dampening rings and it provides a great punch when needed. Resonates wonderfully. I was told by him the bass drum is too loud and it needs to be softer. Well hell, I punch the crap out of it to keep my other band mates on beat! One of our guitar players confessed to me he needs that punch to keep himself on beat. Never ever any word from anyone else complaining of the bass drum. In fact, I get compliments all the time, mostly from non-musicans, but they're compliments none the less.

This new guy suggested I put a pillow or blanket in the Kick and muffle the others. I replied I did that years ago when I was a teenager simply because I liked the cardboard box sound. Not so today. I like them to resonate freely. I provided a quick lesson on drum sound and how drum heads are designed to resonate against each other to achieve the desired sound. Both he and our sound guy looked like they didn't know what the hell I was talking about. Which is even more frustrating.

Sorry to vent here, but this is really friggin' aggravating! I can already tell I'm going to have trouble with this guy.....

Gracias all

I have never tried it, I just rub a little candle wax on new sticks.

Like Nodiggie has said before and I'll say it all the way to my grave.....

"EVERYONE want's to be a drummer"

Obviously your new guitar player is in a time warp.

That's scarry about your sound guy. He's sitting in the passenger seat with your guitar player. wow, bad kids.lol

I think your band mates should cut you some slack. YOU are the drummer. The unique sound you achieve from your kit is your preference. Sounds like you have gotten some good feedback about your sound. So, take it with a grain of salt. Good luck and let those drums sing.

He's giving you advice. Either you take it or you don't.
Use the gorilla snot for one gig or rehearsal, then tell him whether you liked it or not.
If he suggests that you dampen your kick more, try it!
If you don't like it, don't do it!

I'm always up for advice or ideas from anyone.

When I dropped my sticks, it was usually because I was holding it weirdly, like not tight enough or anything. I used to drop my sticks all the time. Then I gripped it more, slightly different, and I haven't had any trouble with it really since then. You don't need all that fancy Gorilla Snot...what a weird name! But since you say you rarely drop your sticks, don't worry about it then if it doesn't happen again.

Man, I want to start a band, but now I'm scared that I might get a smarty pants guitarist now. Well if I do get a guy like that, I will kick him out, because I will be the one starting the band.

Hey rogue, your guitarist should be worried about his sound not yours. If he keeps it up just remind him that he is the guitarist and you are the drummer. Nicely of course. As for the sound guy, NEVER let anyone dampen your drums. That just makes his job easier and he will add reverb so it sounds good to him. A good sound guy won't ask you to dampen your kit. Being in a band is never easy (like being in a relationship) it takes work. Best to keep it civil.
Rock On

Are you sure this guy isnt a singer dressed as a guitarist? I kid, but hey, advice is one thing, taking it from a "know it all" is another. Some of this can be attributed to the sound-mix. I m with Blade on this, cant hurt to give it a try, but if you dont like it...well, you ARE the drummer.

Is this guitarist THAT good? If not, then just kick him out. If that is not within your power, then every time he tells you to do, or use something, then you tell him he should use a certain kind of strings, or get better effects, or use a smaller amp 'cause his is too loud, etc. He may get the message. Did I mention kicking him out? (No, I don't have anything against prima-donna guitar players, why do you ask?)

Throw the stick at the guitarist head. (Usually that's a big target)

"Sorry. I dropped it again."

Throw the stick at the guitarist head. (Usually that's a big target)

I've actually had to do just that. We were playing a daytime show on the mountain in Beaver Creek (Red Tail Camp for those of you familiar with BC) and our guitar player/singer was going full throttle with the cuss words in the bluegrassy version of Gin N Juice (a crowd favorite by the way). I threw a stick at him because I could not get his attention yelling. He stopped the cursing, but was pissed at me for a while - until I sat him down and asked if he ever wanted to play that gig again. As it was a daytime show at an on-mountain restaurant/bar, there were kids everywhere and we were hired by the resort. He got it pretty quickly after that.

Just another example of a guitar payer/singer not having a lick of sense.

I've actually had to do just that.
Just another example of a guitar payer/singer not having a lick of sense.

I've also done it.

The rhythm guitarist, (there were three guitars..2 & a bass) kept *&^%ing up/not trying, missing out verses.... not bothering with the send offs, stuff like that, over a couple of days.
We were playing a gig.
I had enough & I scored a direct hit. (It turned out I was speaking for the rest of the group:))

After it hit him he took a few steps to my kit & while still playing, kicked my B-Drum.
Don't ask me why.

The B-drum didn't move, it had a TT & ride cymbal on it....... a heavy 24"B-drum...... BUT - the side of his upper ankle, NOT his shoe, hit the tuning handle (it was an old 70's Ludwig kit, hence the tuning handles, cymbal arm & TT) & he was in agony. He thought he'd broken a bone.

He was out of the group a few days later.

I'm not proud of my actions but I was in my early youth & it seemed appropriate at the time. He deserved it.
Actually, for the group it worked out for the best.

The B-drum didn't move, it had a TT & ride cymbal on it....... a heavy 24"B-drum...... BUT - the side of his upper ankle, NOT his shoe, hit the tuning handle (it was an old 70's Ludwig kit, hence the tuning handles, cymbal arm & TT) & he was in agony. He thought he'd broken a bone.

It's quite funny you should say that because my more modern drum kit used to have an RT and a ride cymbal on it, it still has the ride on it but it's held in using a modern tube mount.

As a drummer i've never been annoyed at another band member but in my old band i used to be soo pissed of with one of my friends who was the guitar player with me being the bass player. He used to play a bit wrong and i was just like "YOU'RE SUCH AN IDIOT!!!!" It's become my sort of catchphrase with all my mates now. I must admit i was really bossy, it's why i was kicked out. I was the one who even asked him to be in our band which sort of sucks but we're still all mates i've got a new band now and they've got a new bass player.

As for throwing sticks at people, i've never done that before but last year just after we split I was round at the old drummer's house 'cos we're still friends and i was having a little go on his kit (which is terrible, when i found out leedy used to make actual GOOD drums i couldn't believe it, it was that bad) my other friend who was the singer of the old band was trying to get me to stop playing and so he put his hand on the cymbal and when it came time to hit it, I whacked his hand. Being the singer of course, he didn't learn his lesson. Last month i was at the guys house again and he did exactly the same thing resulting in another painful blow. But hey, at least it was a 7A!

Back