Gene Krupa: Day of remembrance, 10.16.1973

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
Sorry about the typo, it was 1973, not 1974.

Drumming great Gene Krupa passed away on 10.16.1973 in Syracuse, NY at age 64.

Let's remember Gene today as it's the anniversary of his passing.

A moment of drumming in his honor.

Last edited:
Re: Day of remembrance, 10.16.1974

Let's remember Gene today as it's the anniversary of his passing.

Drumming great Gene Krupa passed away on 10.16.1974 in Syracuse, NY at age 59.

A moment of drumming in his honor.

I will give that moment of drumming in his honor this afternoon when I get home. RIP Gene!

Re: Day of remembrance, 10.16.1974

Drum showmanship was never the same.all of us flashy drummers owe a lot to Mr.Krupa,
Buddy may have been more technical but nobody put the drums in the forefront more than Gene he just captivated the audience. RIP

Bonzolead

On the Tonight Show right after Gene died Buddy told Johnny Carson "Every drummer in the world should stand up, face Yonkers and bow because if it wasn't for Gene we'd all be just timekeepers". He was my inspiration to start drumming. My first instruction book was by Gene. Still have it.

When I was a kid just getting started on the drums both of my parents told me about Gene Krupa. Naturally I dismissed this because, you know, they were my parents. But I was clever enough to play along, so I asked if they had anything with him playing the drums. My mother had a swing band compilation album that had the Benny Goodman Orchestra doing "Sing, Sing, Sing." So I learned it.
It was then that my parents sort of came around. And that was my introduction to jazz.

On the Tonight Show right after Gene died Buddy told Johnny Carson "Every drummer in the world should stand up, face Yonkers and bow because if it wasn't for Gene we'd all be just timekeepers". He was my inspiration to start drumming. My first instruction book was by Gene. Still have it.

My very first influence. I too had his how to book from the 4o's. Wish I still had it today.
A great line from buddy,

Thanks

Gene Krupa is one of my heroes and his approach to drumming will continue to inspire drummers around the world. In my opinion he died too young, but his legend will not. I will definitely have a moment of drumming to honor one of the greats!

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but I was looking at the article about Krupa, and noticed some of his cymbals were mounted on the bass drum...is that still made today? Because that is a pretty cool idea. I haven't seen anything like it, till I saw his set up on Modern Drummer Mag.

When I was a kid just getting started on the drums both of my parents told me about Gene Krupa. Naturally I dismissed this because, you know, they were my parents. But I was clever enough to play along, so I asked if they had anything with him playing the drums. My mother had a swing band compilation album that had the Benny Goodman Orchestra doing "Sing, Sing, Sing." So I learned it.
It was then that my parents sort of came around. And that was my introduction to jazz.

I discovered Krupa and this tune when I was five years old, and drove my family nuts playing it all the time. :)

Nowadays I play drums for the Impressions in Jazz Orchestra here in Ottawa, and last Thursday we performed a tribute to Goodman's famous 1938 Carnegie Hall concert. We were able to acquire many of the original charts, and I had an absolute blast playing the music. I didn't want to mimic everything Gene did, but it was hard not to, given how long that recording has been burned into my brain.

Gene was my first music hero, and he was the very best at what he did.

Mark

He was my first influence, after I saw the Gene Krupa Story, that was it, I wanted to play drums for sure. he did set millions of people on fire with his playing style Thats what kool about us drummers, the commradery, no matter what style of music we play, how fancy we are, or just basic time, we repect each other style no matter what, Gene did bring the drums out front to a great solo instrument,

We should celebrate his birth rather than mourn his death,which is actually coming up in January has is 100th birthday which will undoubtedly be covered in the major drum magazines.

It is a shame though, most people don't "know" Gene other than Sing Sing Sing. He has done so much more, and there is so many truly great other solos he has done. Drum Boogie, China Boy, Gene's Solo Flight, Gene's Blues, Drummin Man, Disk Jockey Jump, the list goes on. He was much more talented then you can tell by the few videos of him that are popular.

Back