DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:39 PM

Default Noobie here trying to record drums!

Hey all!
Im trying to set about recording drums and video for youtube covers but have not much idea on how to do it.
Ok , say once i've set up the mixer , the mics etc and i drum along to the song with the video recording i have a video file and a drum recording , with no backing track and no video (well at least not together).
How do i actually put these 3 things together (Me playing the drums , the original recording of the song im playing and the video?)
Thanks very much indeed if you are able to answer this blured question!

P.S To do drum covers for youtube in quite decent quality would i be alright with 2 x overhead condenser mics , 1x mic for the snare and 1xmic for the kick drum?
Thanks again!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:28 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Noobie here trying to record drums!

Is your mixer USB and/or Firewire based, going into the computer?

If so, I would set it up so that the mics, the iPod/music device, and your headphones are all plugged into the mixer.. That way all the "noise" is going as one bunch of audio to the computer and you record this into whatever program.

Then you transfer video to the computer.

Use video editing software to put the video recording and the mixer recording together. Mute the video recording's audio. Tweak it until everything lines up and then export. DONE!

See, I have a Macbook... so it's easy... GarageBand records the drums and music I'm playing to. iMovie gets the video. I use iMovie as well to line up the video and mixer audio. Very easy.

Sorry I can't be of super help on a PC-based platform.. there's way too much software that does all the same crap... Probably Sony Acid Studio, Protools, and Windows Movie Maker are good things to use.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the help mate thats cleared most of it up for me.
So you can plug in your ipod , play along to the song while recording. Then my playing and the orginal track will always be on there?
Cheers!
Also would 2 overhead condenser mics , 1 snare mic and 1 kick mic be enough for good enough quality?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

You can first mix the audio in Audacity (excellent audio edition freeware program) then with the result file of both, you add it to your vid using Microsoft Windows Movie Maker (come with XP).

Easy ;-)

My Kit Latest Update