DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:51 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: What's your latest purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosticles View Post
Just back from a little road trip to swap my Tama Starphonic Maple Burl for a Tama Starphonic Nickel over Brass.
Not had chance to give it a whirl yet but a little fettling & it sounds awesome :) Very pleased. I did the swap as I already have two other Maple Snare's & wanted a Brass Snare for a different sound :)
Wow!

Wow!

Did I say "Wow?"

That is one gorgeous snare drum. It's so easy to find great snare drums nowadays that one has the luxury of basing a lot of purchasing decisions based on looks alone. This one would be a no-brainer for sure. Just beautiful.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 02-13-2019, 07:28 PM

I bought the dw9002 pedals from The Drum Shop of Portland,ME.

Someone mentioned they were taking offers on their dw stuff. I got a floor model, but I can't find a molecule of dirt or anything on it. Very happy so far... looking forward to trying the straps instead of chains.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostin one View Post
I bought the dw9002 pedals from The Drum Shop of Portland,ME.

Someone mentioned they were taking offers on their dw stuff. I got a floor model, but I can't find a molecule of dirt or anything on it. Very happy so far... looking forward to trying the straps instead of chains.
I usually use a strap with my DW 9000 single pedal, you should at least give it a try.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:35 PM

I've pretty much only used speed kings, sometimes with an old Pearl slave pedal, but I played someone's set with a 5000 / strap drive a while back and instantly decided it was time for me to get one.

I'll hardly use the left side these days except for some fills and "trainwreck endings" as poster Spreggy put it.

Last edited by Ghostin one; 02-13-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
Wow!

Wow!

Did I say "Wow?"

That is one gorgeous snare drum. It's so easy to find great snare drums nowadays that one has the luxury of basing a lot of purchasing decisions based on looks alone. This one would be a no-brainer for sure. Just beautiful.

GeeDeeEmm
It is definitely a thing of beauty & weighs as much as it looks......... Going to have a bash on it tomorrow when everyone is out :)
Old 02-14-2019, 02:56 PM

After being away from drumming for 25?years I decided it was past time to get back to it. Found this awesome set of Pearl Export EX drums with all Zildjians for $400! Needed cleaned up a bit and will probably replace the heads soon, but other than that a great deal. I’ve played every day and my skills are coming back! It’s great to have online tools to help learn compared to When I learned the first time!
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

I ordered and freshly been delivered a Pearl floor tom > jungle bassdrum conversion kit.
To be able to play in small pubs. I can't say that I'm very excited to try it out.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
British Drum Company Joe's Butler. What a great accessory. These are in demand and are sold out most everywhere. Drum Center of Portsmouth had them backordered for several months. They may have a couple left.
DCP is sold out but I found one through eBay! Thanks for posting this, I desperately needed something like this for my gigs!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNealy View Post
DCP is sold out but I found one through eBay! Thanks for posting this, I desperately needed something like this for my gigs!
Nice. Glad it works for you!!
Roland TD30KV
Old 02-15-2019, 03:17 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andystix View Post
After being away from drumming for 25?years I decided it was past time to get back to it. Found this awesome set of Pearl Export EX drums with all Zildjians for $400! Needed cleaned up a bit and will probably replace the heads soon, but other than that a great deal. I’ve played every day and my skills are coming back! It’s great to have online tools to help learn compared to When I learned the first time!
Just looking, but you may want to use the bass drum legs to get the front hoop off of the floor about a half inch. I'm afraid what the constant pounding effect will have on the hoop.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:51 AM

I had an anxiety dream the weekend before my bands last gig that we were playing and I couldn't hear anything so I decided to bite the bullet and try IEMs. Cash is a bit tight so I thought I'd try a Beringer P2 because they're only £30. My god, it's phenomenal. I could hear everything clearly, I could control the volume at will. I've never been happier with a purchase so completely and instantly. I'd recommend one to any gigging drummer that regularly plays with monitors, I honestly think it will improve our gigs massively, just need to do more of them now.

I'm considering getting a little mixer too so I can run a click track and also use a small recorder to save the monitor mix for posterity.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:54 PM
Gold Member

I was at my local shop this past weekend to see if they had a portable kit that I could use for rehearsals and the occasional jam session and small room gig. something that I could use when I did not want to take one of my larger and more expensive kits. My qualifications for the purchase were sound, portability, build quality and appearance and price.

The Sonor AQ2 Safari kit fit my specifications perfectly, it is a really good sounding, well made kit with great features and very reasonably priced. I also really liked the sparkle lacquer finish as well.

The snare drum was the only weak link on the kit IMHO and I did not take it home as I prefer to use my 13" Sonor Benny Greb snare with this kit instead.
I also swapped the stock Remo UT tom batters for US made Remo Ambassadors and they noticeably improved the sound of this kit. The UT heads have a heavier steel counter hoop than the US made Remo Ambassadors.

The 16" bass drum is the most surprising and impressive aspect of this kit. It has a lifter and it has lots of bottom end even with the stock heads in place.
I could do a wide Variety of gigs with this bass drum.

The 10" rack tom and 13" floor tom with legs have a wide tuning range that I am sure anyone could find a nice sound from.

It came with a bass drum mounted tom mount/cymbal arm that is well designed and secure and I could easily get it set up in a position I liked.

Th included snare is not bad per se, I just did not see myself using it when I had the excellent Benny Greb snare already.

The bearing edges and finish are excellent on this kit and the shells are made from a combination of Canadian and Chinese maple and sound like what you expect from a maple shell kit. I assume the inclusion of the Chinese maple helps keep the price down.

I have owned a lot of portable kits ( Whitney nesting penguin, Yamaha Hip gig etc.) and this Sonor AQ2 kit more than holds it's own sonically and is considerably less money.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2019, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Still on my spending spree............

Pair of Gibraltar Stealth Racks. Have no need for the baskets so will sell those on :) Would have liked to have used them tomorrow but don't have the time now :( Will sort next week.
First impressions........ Very, very solid. A little heavier than I thought though.

Untitled by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
Untitled by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
Old 02-20-2019, 05:04 PM

I've spent a lot of money lately. Bought a 10x13" rack tom for my Ludwig kit, a Ludwig Black Magic snare, and a Wuhan 16" china. Also bought a couple of Ludwig Atlas Standard boom cymbal stands.
Ludwig | Meinl | Atlas | DW
Old 02-20-2019, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Last of my spending spree. In Ear Monitor system. Shure SE215's Y Behringer Powerplay P2.
Will give these a go on Saturday :)

fullsizeoutput_eae by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_eac by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
Old 02-21-2019, 02:27 AM

A Drumnbase 180 hoop protector for my Ludwig CM's.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
British Drum Company Joe's Butler. What a great accessory. These are in demand and are sold out most everywhere. Drum Center of Portsmouth had them backordered for several months. They may have a couple left.
I really like the idea of these, but just think they're massively overpriced for what they are...
Old 02-21-2019, 12:26 PM

G’day I was googling info about Recording Custom Drums, as I just bought some and it led me to an ancient Drummerworld thread about why RC’s aren’t popular anymore, so here I am to put my hand up and say - I love RC’s!

What’s not to love?

The kit I bought is a Double Bass Drum Rig with 8”,10”,12”,13” Rack Toms and 16”,18” Floor Toms. The Bass Drums are 22” but are different depths (14” and 16”) and a matching 14” x 8” Snare! It is a 1991 Vintage MIJ in Hot Red and was ordered as single drums that made up a custom order.

This kit eluded me 4 years ago when it was sold before I could sink my claws in, but I finally got my chance!

I’ve always been a fan of Birch both in the studio and live, as a lot of my style involves fast hand / foot combos and I appreciate the staccato note of these drums. Having said that I’ve also had Maple and Composite kits that I’ve loved over the years but none as much as this beauty!

I believe that lack of marketing over the years has let RC’s slip off their pedestal a bit but those who know, just know... and Yamaha know that they have a winner so have only now just got Steve Gadd back on the marketing train with the re-vamped model of this prodigious drum series.

Anyway thanks for reading and I will post a couple of pics starting with the ones that were used to advertise the Big Red Beast!

Cheers from Down Under.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed9000 View Post
G’day I was googling info about Recording Custom Drums, as I just bought some and it led me to an ancient Drummerworld thread about why RC’s aren’t popular anymore, so here I am to put my hand up and say - I love RC’s!

What’s not to love?

The kit I bought is a Double Bass Drum Rig with 8”,10”,12”,13” Rack Toms and 16”,18” Floor Toms. The Bass Drums are 22” but are different depths (14” and 16”) and a matching 14” x 8” Snare! It is a 1991 Vintage MIJ in Hot Red and was ordered as single drums that made up a custom order.

This kit eluded me 4 years ago when it was sold before I could sink my claws in, but I finally got my chance!

I’ve always been a fan of Birch both in the studio and live, as a lot of my style involves fast hand / foot combos and I appreciate the staccato note of these drums. Having said that I’ve also had Maple and Composite kits that I’ve loved over the years but none as much as this beauty!

I believe that lack of marketing over the years has let RC’s slip off their pedestal a bit but those who know, just know... and Yamaha know that they have a winner so have only now just got Steve Gadd back on the marketing train with the re-vamped model of this prodigious drum series.

Anyway thanks for reading and I will post a couple of pics starting with the ones that were used to advertise the Big Red Beast!

Cheers from Down Under.
That's lush. I have RC's in Cherry & also an RTC in Hot Red. Can't beat these era Yamaha kits :)
Old 02-21-2019, 03:28 PM

I bought some brushes. I saw someone play with brushes at a show last weekend and it looked cool so I got some. Now to figure out how to use them.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbravo View Post
Aquarian Classic Clear White dot heads on the toms.
I really dig the white dots! I did not see those in my searches. . .I might've tried those instead of the Evans heads I picked up.

How do you like them? They look great
Old 02-21-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog new Cans View Post
I really dig the white dots! I did not see those in my searches. . .I might've tried those instead of the Evans heads I picked up.

How do you like them? They look great
I like them a lot so far. Much more open sounding as Gould expect from a single ply clear replacing a two ply coated. They take a bit more effort to tune. I’m still zeroing in on it- I tune toms fairly high...
Old 02-21-2019, 05:43 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vater View Post
Darth do you have a link for the Drumnbass
Old 02-23-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vater View Post
I put one of these on my Ludwigs, but the adhesive doesn’t hold very well. On the other hand you wouldn’t want a permanent bond..

http://https://www.sweetwater.com/st...SABEgLg2_D_BwE
Old 02-24-2019, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

Pearl S830 snare stand. I have not recommended Pearl hardware in the past because the stuff I looked at would not stay tight in the down tubes and would swivel quite easily. But I looked at one of these and was impressed with both the height adjustment (ultra-low to ultra-high) and the gearless cylinder tilter. The downtube stays put, it's light, and the tripod is wide enough to give stability without being too wide (like my Ludwig 400 series stand). Winner winner chicken dinner!
Old 02-24-2019, 02:31 AM
Platinum Member

I bought some used 13" Sabian AA regular hats. They are not as crisp as I would like, but sound pretty good. Kind of mellow sounding. Would be great for quieter gigs. They will be my auxiliary hats when I'm (trying to play metal). Which I'm getting better at. The heel toe is starting to come together.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Darth do you have a link for the Drumnbass
Here ya go sir....

https://reverb.com/marketplace/drums...ke=drumnbase-1

Make sure you clean the area you're applying it to with rubbing alcohol first and don't touch the adhesive side when applying. I have these on all my kits and I've never had one come off. If you do want to remove them, use a hair dryer and a little WD40.

Cheers,
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbravo View Post
I put one of these on my Ludwigs, but the adhesive doesn’t hold very well. On the other hand you wouldn’t want a permanent bond..

http://https://www.sweetwater.com/st...SABEgLg2_D_BwE
See the above directions for application and removal.

Cheers,
Todd
Old 02-24-2019, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

I don't have a purchase -yet. But I'm need of a new throne-my old Roc-N-Soc nitro (I think) is shot -it drifts down after you set it (I've lubed it, etc no luck). I just as well buy another one cause that one has lasted a decades to two I recollect. but anyways any new stools that I should take a gander?
Old 02-24-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
I don't have a purchase -yet. But I'm need of a new throne-my old Roc-N-Soc nitro (I think) is shot -it drifts down after you set it (I've lubed it, etc no luck). I just as well buy another one cause that one has lasted a decades to two I recollect. but anyways any new stools that I should take a gander?
The ahead one with the buttcrack. May be handy for us middle aged types...😂
Old 02-27-2019, 06:26 PM
Gold Member

Steve Weiss Music had a sale on all Evans heads so I stocked up on snare batters and heads for my toms... and a TuneBot Studio.

I also was experimenting last fall with different cymbal companies and while all of them performed great, I just didn't have the warm and fuzzy with them that I always got from Sabian... so I sold them off and re-established my arsenal with some nice pies:
- 15" Paragon Hats
- 19" HHX Legacy Crash
- 20" HHX Legacy Ride (will be used as a crash-ride)

I also lightened up my load a little with some TAMA flat based hardware:
- Tama Classic Tom Stand
- Tama Classic Cymbal Stand
Old 03-04-2019, 06:13 AM
Platinum Member

A 21" Armand Ride, purchased from basset52.

I have a 20" which I've always found a bit high pitched and tight.
The 21" is deeper and more flexible, still crashable, nice bell. Perfect for the Ventures/Shadows surf music gig I did yesterday.
Attached Images

Last edited by Morrisman; 03-04-2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Picture didn't upload..
Old 03-05-2019, 07:34 AM

My kick pedal went for a little walk after my last gig never to be seen again. Luckily it was the oldest and least loved part ofy kit so I took the opportunity to make the upgrade I've been toying with for a while.

I'm not flush with cash so I wasn't going to spend a fortune and happily the shop near my office had a speed cobra 310 double on display that let let me have for £160, which left me with enough cash to get a bag for it for less than £200 happy days.

Not really got it set up to my preference yet, but early signs are good, liking the longer footboards.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawny View Post
My kick pedal went for a little walk after my last gig never to be seen again. Luckily it was the oldest and least loved part ofy kit so I took the opportunity to make the upgrade I've been toying with for a while.

I'm not flush with cash so I wasn't going to spend a fortune and happily the shop near my office had a speed cobra 310 double on display that let let me have for £160, which left me with enough cash to get a bag for it for less than £200 happy days.

Not really got it set up to my preference yet, but early signs are good, liking the longer footboards.
Sweet deal on the SC pedals, they got a lot of power.

But I think you paid too much for the case, though.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:36 PM

No pic at the moment but latest purchase is a

16" Meinl HCS Trash Stack (£44 on sale)

Wanted to buy a "Stack" cymbal setup and this is a bargain. I'm sure the 18" version would be great value too. Used it on its first gig last Saturday. It just mounts straight onto a regular cymbal stand. A lot of fun for very little money.

Cheers
Mick
Old 03-08-2019, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

aquarian performance 2 black heads for toms. no idea what to expect but they sounded good on youtube! find out tonight
Old 03-11-2019, 08:06 PM
Gold Member

Just landed today from across The Pond. Apologies in advance for the iPhone photo quality.

Guru TOUR 7" X 14" Padauk (left) and Guru In-Tense 5.5" X 14" Ovangkol (right).
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2019, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
Just landed today from across The Pond. Apologies in advance for the iPhone photo quality.

Oh man - really nice. You're all set now.

I'll bet that sometime in the far distant future,
someone will see one of those and say 'Guru drums - was that really a thing?' LOL
Old 03-12-2019, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

NICE... enjoy! I can scarcely imagine life without my Guru anymore..
Old 03-12-2019, 01:32 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:

Wow Doug. I never had a chance to get cozy with an ovangkol, but oh my the Padauk is a badass snare.

End of an era. GREAT snag.

On a side note, Buick is the only word I can think of that sort of rhymes with padauk.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Oh man - really nice. You're all set now.

I'll bet that sometime in the far distant future,
someone will see one of those and say 'Guru drums - was that really a thing?' LOL
Thanks! Yeah, I was trying to explain how good these drums actually are to a friend. So I made the comparison of Stradivarius violins to Guru drums. Crickets.
They had no idea what Strativarius violins, cellos and violas were and why they are so cherished.

I'm hoping the Guru legacy and story will resonate throughout history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
NICE... enjoy! I can scarcely imagine life without my Guru anymore..
Thanks Al. If you ever find your Guru Walnut needs a new home I will gladly sign the adoption papers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Wow Doug. I never had a chance to get cozy with an ovangkol, but oh my the Padauk is a badass snare.

End of an era. GREAT snag.

On a side note, Buick is the only word I can think of that sort of rhymes with padauk.
Thanks Larry. I was hoping to put these purchases off for a while but life sometimes throws everyone a curve ball and I knew I would forever kick myself
and regret it if I didn't grab these two beauties. So thankful for Andy's craftsmanship and his willingness to take time to educate me. Indebted.