DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Band sucked - audience loved it $%%$?

Thankfully, this is rare for this band, but we really performed poorly last night. More mistakes than I can list, & some gear issues too. I was just as bad as any other band member, although most of that was due to a physical issue. Without exception, every member performed well under par, & I didn't even feel a fun stage vibe to compensate. Stage sound was pure mud, & we struggled to lock in grooves. It was all very sloppy. To cap off my negative mood, it was a long day, with quite a haul in storm conditions. Got home around 3:30AM :(

Anyhow, the audience reaction was total support + enthusiasm. They didn't seem to pick up on any of the negatives, & had a great time. Must admit, I walked off stage somewhat puzzled. I'm used to audiences not noticing details, but they will usually react to a lacklustre performance. I'm struggling to rationalise last night - weird.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Band sucked - audience loved it $%%$?

Keep it simple,

Rather than try and rationalise it just go with the positives you played under par and still the audience liked it. Phew you and your band mates have been given a get out of jail free card - naughty band. Now fix what what went wrong. Or maybe a few fluffs in amongst a tight but fun set is better than a lacklustre set.

It's often really hard to pin down why a night goes well and why it doesn't. Could be that you weren't as bad as you thought, could be the sound was better out front than on stage, could be the audience was -a great audience.

I firmly believe it's a mixture of band, audience and venue. So sometimes the audience can carry the band.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

I have had almost the opposite. Played a gig a few years ago and it was one of those magic nights when the whole band was very much on. I have never enjoyed a gig as much, everything I tried came off, in the end I was just reaching for things I had never attempted before and they were all working. The whole band was the same,we were cooking, the audience were going crazy and we did three encores.

We had recorded the gig and I was looking forward to listening back. It was ok but not the triumph I had expected. We were a bit sloppy and I was devastated. We had recorded gigs before and they were fine. On second listen I got it. Yes it was a bit loose but there was so much energy and sheer enjoyment flowing off and back onto the stage, it was a connection.

I dont record gigs now, I enjoy the moment in time, and that gig is still one of the stand out 2 hours of my drumming life.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

I remember listening to a recording of my senior recital in college. Bleach. Every little error stuck out to me like a sore thumb. LOL I only listened once.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Golly, just imagine how much they'd have loved you if you'd all been on form!

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 11-20-2016, 07:27 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I hate to trot out the old "audiences don't hear mistakes like the band does", but it's usually true. They're not stupid, they're just not over-educated to the music in the way the players are. There are obviously egregious mistakes that nobody could possibly miss, but the players and audience draw that line in very different places. Think of all the hit songs, especially in the '60s, where there are really noticeable errors - vocals, timing, parts - but the vast majority of listeners don't hear it, or don't care. It probably drives the musicians crazy, I'm sure the Beatles and Stones still wince at certain tracks, but thankfully, the public is fine with everything.

Of course, it would also be nice if the band was fine with everything, too!

Bermuda
Old 11-20-2016, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I hate to trot out the old "audiences don't hear mistakes like the band does", but it's usually true. They're not stupid, they're just not over-educated to the music in the way the players are. There are obviously egregious mistakes that nobody could possibly miss, but the players and audience draw that line in very different places. Think of all the hit songs, especially in the '60s, where there are really noticeable errors - vocals, timing, parts - but the vast majority of listeners don't hear it, or don't care. It probably drives the musicians crazy, I'm sure the Beatles and Stones still wince at certain tracks, but thankfully, the public is fine with everything.

Of course, it would also be nice if the band was fine with everything, too!

Bermuda
Quite. As I say, If it grooves it is fine. Its the performance that counts. Listen to Twist and Shout by the Beatles. Its raw, speakers pop, voices tear, but....its perfect, It still makes the hair stand up on my neck. Bollocks to perfection.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the replies / interest / stories guys :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
There are obviously egregious mistakes that nobody could possibly miss, but the players and audience draw that line in very different places.
Trust me Jon, last night was littered with such mistakes. Worse, the groove was lost in at least half of the numbers. Worse still, the vibe wasn't there either. This is why I'm confused by the audience response.

I could understand if the gig was full of band friends, but this was an out of town gig with an audience consisting mostly of people who hadn't seen us before. For me, our performance wasn't just poor, it was bordering horrible. We sounded like the most lame "dad rock" band you've seen in ages, going through the motions. No way we deserved that reaction / patronage.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Quite. As I say, If it grooves it is fine. Its the performance that counts. Listen to Twist and Shout by the Beatles. Its raw, speakers pop, voices tear, but....its perfect, It still makes the hair stand up on my neck. Bollocks to perfection.
Makes me think of locomotive breath by Jethro Tull, the bass amp fails in the middle of the song - very noticeable - but man it rocks, and they kept it in the recording despite the speaker buzzing its last breath !

Back to subject, if the band has dynamics and that the sound is ok - and beer too - You catch the audience. Worst, apart from lame mistakes, is to me, to produce a dull, flat, performance.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:12 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Congratulations. You just fell in a big ole steamin pile o' poo and you came up smelling like roses.

No guilt, sometimes the stars don't line up. Didn't matter anyway it sounds like.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:47 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Worse, the groove was lost in at least half of the numbers. Worse still, the vibe wasn't there either. This is why I'm confused by the audience response.

I could understand if the gig was full of band friends, but this was an out of town gig with an audience consisting mostly of people who hadn't seen us before.
They may have been 1) starved for entertainment, 2) drunk, or 3) both.

Take the money and run!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
an audience consisting mostly of people who hadn't seen us before
There's your answer, they couldn't compare to a time when you guys were on fire!

Dutch
Old 11-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Keep practicing , they may grow to hate you yet. let no good deed go unpunished..
Old 11-21-2016, 12:22 PM
Silver Member

I totally agree with everything Bermuda has said (Especially the bit about taking the money and running! :) )

You only have to look at drum cover videos on Youtube to see how poorly some people can play, or playing in complete indifference to the original drums, and still receive high praise!

It's unfortunate that you feel everything sort of fell apart, but it's still great that they audience loved it! I'm the sort of person who will beat himself up over tiny mistakes, and I've had some pretty bad gigs in the past, but almost every time there's a great response from the crowd.

And lastly... Sometimes you just simply have a bad night! What's that old proverb? Fall down seven times, get up eight. Soldier on!
Old 11-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Gold Member

Playbacks are often a humbling experience. What I usually find is that the music/song is way too busy.

CCR (as an example) was a band that stripped everything down to the barest of bones and rarely (if ever) deviated from that structure when playing live.

It worked too.

I contend that on those perfect gigs when everything is falling into place and it is a wonderful thing... happens at the gig. That is where all the input to the senses (sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch, umami) are all receiving information and processing it into a personal experience. Listening to playback only involves hearing, hence the letdown.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:35 PM
Gold Member

The simple answer is that the people in the audience aren't musicians. Assuming you are playing covers, they are going to know the songs at a high level and might be able to sing along. They aren't really going to know exactly what the band is doing, or doing wrong.

If you played back to back with another group, then they might be able to tell that something was off with your group, but they probably wouldn't be able to describe what went wrong.

To most audience members, music is just something that is in the background of the singer or lead instrument. Unless you completely drop the beat, they probably aren't going to notice.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:35 PM

Working on some new material with a worship band this past Thursday. After we finished, while we were packing up, the sound guy put on some music (as he often does). It took a couple of minutes before we realized it was us; that he had recorded our practice.

A few staff folks walked through talking about how great it sounded. Three of us were standing there picking it apart (we need to fix this, work on that, etc.).

As musicians, it's rare that we ever find everything perfect. We can always do it better, but sometimes, you just have to be "good enough".
Old 11-21-2016, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Oh well, sh*t happens. Brush yourself off and keep your chin held high. Your band is awesome! I'll bet even Eric Clapton has had a bad night now and then while people still went away happy.

Apparently, you're not immune to this either. ;)
Old 11-21-2016, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

It's funny how much difference there is between what an audience focuses on when listening to a band versus what other musicians notice.

I think it's why I don't get usually get nervous playing for large crowds, but I do get self-conscious if a great musician is in the house.

A few weeks ago, I played with an artist opening for the band BoDeans. What I didn't know is that the drummer for BoDeans is Kenny Aronoff. He's tuning his drums while I'm tuning and he's standing there as I'm doing sound check. I was suddenly very self-conscious about "drummer stuff" that I would never be thinking about if it was just a regular audience.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

I noticed the OP said the stage mix sounded like 'mud'.. that can throw everything off. On the rare occasion where the sound guy doesn't get the stage mix right and there's no time to fix it.. you kind of have to play through it and compensate. Even though it all sounds off balance.. I try to think groove and time.. and try to play like I always do.. and hope like heck that it sounds great in the front of the house.. (it usually does).

As a rule of thumb, your stage mix should sound as clear and comfortable as if you were playing in your rehearsal space.. and the sound guy can do whatever he wants for the FOH without blasting the stage with 'mud'..

If it's really bad after the band starts.. there's nothing wrong with in-between songs, grabbing a mic and asking the sound man to turn down the 'bass and vocals in my monitor (for example).

Also.. there's always the old adage people use "we sound better the more you drink!" .. and stage energy counts for something as well.. if you look like you're having fun on stage and people are moving around etc . (not a bunch of stumps) - counts for something!

Liked the comment about Aqualung.. I'll have to check it out - always loved that tune but never noticed the bass cutting out. Love the drum fills at the end.. great recording and drum sound!
Old 11-22-2016, 06:29 AM
Renegade

I found this happened a fair bit in my old rock days. I just assumed that audiences are ghoulish (look at people's taste in movies) and they got off on the desperate energy. Everyone looks at a car crash, yes? People can often sense when a band is comfortable and just trotting the music out. There's no risk. Everything is down pat and under control.

There are certain kinds of audiences - esp fans of 60s, garage rock, punk and early classic rock - who prefer watching musicians struggle for competence. It's for the same reason that the Man in Black harms the AI hosts in Westworld - it makes them more real ;)
Old 11-22-2016, 07:36 AM
Silver Member

I'd bet you sounded a lot better out front. Few things make or break a band like a good, or bad, set list. A rough performance of music that makes people jump will still make the jump.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

Sometimes it isn't as bad as I think it was. I have to thank my audiences for being so supportive. I know I made some mistakes but they cheer me on.